File under Darwin Award Contender.

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

geodoc
Rank 4
Rank 4

File under Darwin Award Contender.

Post by geodoc »

---------- ADS -----------

B208
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: File under Darwin Award Contender.

Post by B208 »

Fucker must have one hard head to cause that much damage to the aircraft.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Video here in last 10 seconds....

https://dms.ntsb.gov/pubdms/search/docu ... mkey=96914

Pretty irresponsible flying. We did lots of 'interesting' stuff in the Twin Otter days including low flyby's. But like any other flyby, give yourself reasonable margin.

FlyGy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by FlyGy »

The criteria for a Darwin Award requires one to remove oneself from the gene pool, typically by death, or loss of that particular ability to reproduce.

Since this guy survived, he wouldn't be a candidate.

corethatthermal
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by corethatthermal »

Would there not be 2 possible eligible recipients, 1- the pilot and 2 the scalpee ?

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

The report states that the photographer asked the pilot where he could position himself to take photos of the takeoff. Presuming that the photographer was in the agreed place, he was following an agreed plan - no fault to him! 100% fault to a cowboy pilot, who did something needless and stupid in a plane. Letting alone that there was a person there, banking so as to touch anything with the wingtip was irresponsible. Pilots having a shocked expression upon returning should be just the beginning: They should pay the evac and medical costs, compensation, the cost for the wing parts, and get the drill and rivet gun out under supervision to fix the wing. That would be taking responsibility - to the extent possible...

Sure, I've done stupid cowboy stuff in planes, but never around a person, never in a remote place so that recovery of the damaged aircraft would be a problem, and the one time I damaged a plane a little doing it, I did not call an insurance company, I fixed it myself.

If I were the authority, I would sentence that (those) pilot(s) to community service of presenting lectures on why cowboy flying is a bad idea, and casts a whole industry in shame. My sympathy to a photographer who tried to agree on a plan with safe elements, and was cheated out of safety by a show off pilot!

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

Drill and rivet gun hawhaw. A place i used to work at if you blew/flatspotted the tire, you were the apprentice for the job, and had to carry the tire around for the day...... nothing like consequences to reinfoce better behaviour

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”