Blue Water Aviation plane down North of Winnipeg

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Maynard
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Blue Water Aviation plane down North of Winnipeg

Post by Maynard »

Mick G wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:56 am
Maynard wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:48 am This is (unofficially) the 5th (on record)
2 in 1956. First suspected wake turbulence, the other inadvertent rapid full flap retraction
1 in the 70's, unknown cause
1 in 2013, black sheep, determined excessive over speed on high percentage of flights

While the tail has had its issues, it doesn't seem like in flight break ups are a known issue or weak spot with the Otter
I beg to differ. With presumably 2 in a period of less than 10 years, it would be appear to be a cause for concern, especially considering the air-frames are continuing to age. I'd bet Viking is sweating blood at the moment.
If you drove a Tesla at 150 mph in the snow and hit a pole, should you be concerned about the safety of the car?? Black sheep didn't operate the otter properly. That same plane also hit a snow bank with the back end just prior to the accident flight. It wasn't just a "plane fell apart for no reason" crash....If it turns out that there were no contributing factors and the latest one just fell apart, then I would be concerned.
---------- ADS -----------

I guess I should write something here.
FishermanIvan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FishermanIvan »

BWA has Walter/GE engines on their Otters and they’re not operating with that 9000 pound upgross or whatever it is.

I worked there for two summers. Very sad to hear this and my heart goes out to everyone involved.

C-FDPB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by C-FDPB »

I fly both the PT6 and Garrett conversions. They are very similar in limitation. PT6 is max 134mph on floats and 144mph wheels, Garrett if I recall is limited at 136mph floats 146mph wheels. Regardless it's very tragic and hits home.

anofly
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by anofly »

There is enough to go wrong in aviation , without having to worry about airframe failure.... this needs attention.

phillyfan
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by phillyfan »

There but for the grace of God, go I.

Mick G
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Mick G »

Do we have an official body count yet? Is it for sure 3? Have they all been recovered?

FishermanIvan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FishermanIvan »

Mick G wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:00 am Do we have an official body count yet? Is it for sure 3? Have they all been recovered?
One passenger has been recovered, the pilot and other passenger are still missing.

surferjoe
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by surferjoe »

MudFarmer wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:47 pm Contrary to the news article no trees were hit on approach. It was a inflight breakup.
Where did you get this intel from?

MudFarmer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MudFarmer »

A reliable witness and RCMP have retracted their original statement.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Told the same by RCMP on site. "Not sure why they printed that they hit a tree. We said It was possible. But the wing came a couple hundred feet up."

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Does anyone know if the aircraft in question had one of the upgross kits? I don’t think it would have been overweight on this flight but I’m more curious about the effect of years of an upgross kit applied to a plane and it’s effects.

FishermanIvan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FishermanIvan »

fish4life wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:30 am Does anyone know if the aircraft in question had one of the upgross kits? I don’t think it would have been overweight on this flight but I’m more curious about the effect of years of an upgross kit applied to a plane and it’s effects.
It did, but it was the 8367 pound one, and not the other (9000 pound?) upgross kit that I’m pretty sure exists.

ragbagflyer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ragbagflyer »

fish4life wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:30 am Does anyone know if the aircraft in question had one of the upgross kits? I don’t think it would have been overweight on this flight but I’m more curious about the effect of years of an upgross kit applied to a plane and it’s effects.
I'd be more concerned about the Otters flying around at 9000 pounds+ without the upgross than the ones with the STC that are getting the correct maintenance.

"I don't know which is worse, ...that everyone has his price, or that the price is always so low." - Calvin (of Calvin and Hobbes)
fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

ragbagflyer wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:26 am
I'd be more concerned about the Otters flying around at 9000 pounds+ without the upgross than the ones with the STC that are getting the correct maintenance.
Agreed and it appears this one wasn’t a 9000lb plane anyway

Vertigo8
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Vertigo8 »

How many of the otters are operating at 8000 lbs. plus without the stc? Over the years I’ve seen many with the back of the floats under water?

Mick G
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Mick G »

Vertigo8 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:49 pm How many of the otters are operating at 8000 lbs. plus without the stc? Over the years I’ve seen many with the back of the floats under water?
You wouldn't be the first with that observation.

phillyfan
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by phillyfan »

The backs of the floats being under water means almost nothing. Also there are a number of float sizes and fuel tank locations. It's easy to sink the backs of a straight 7170 Otter without a Walter header tank and be perfectly legal.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Both pilot and second passenger now recovered and brought to Winnipeg.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

I really hope the TSB can find out what caused the structural failure with some haste. It would be horrible if this were to happen to another otter before the report comes out 3 years from now.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”