Blue Water Aviation plane down North of Winnipeg

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Blue Water Aviation plane down North of Winnipeg

Post by pelmet »

C-GBTU, a de Havilland DHC-3T (powered by a GE/Walter M601E-11 turbine engine) operated by
Blue Water Aviation Services, was conducting a flight from Bissett (CJY6), MB to Family Lake near
Little Grand Rapids, MB with 1 pilot and 2 passengers on board. As C-GBTU was turning final for
the water at Family Lake the right wing became detached from the fuselage. The aircraft entered
an uncontrolled descent and collided with the water surface. JRCC and RCMP responded. The
pilot and 2 passengers sustained fatal injuries.
---------- ADS -----------

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

7ECA wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:45 pm If there had been a fleet wide grounding of the DHC-3 series of aircraft, that would have at the very least made the news - and certainly would have seen some sort of a release from Transport Canada.

On the subject of ADs, I seem to recall one used to be able to access the database freely to poke around (CAWIS, I think was the acronym), although it looks like that's been now made into a login only service...

The most recent safety alert for the Otters was back in September for when one of the HA birds blew an elephant leg. I've heard rumours they're getting or going through some sort of a modification or STC to replace the elephant legs with a newer strut system.
CAWIS is an open service for anyone, you can search with a registration or for type. As of this post, there are no new AD's on the DHC 3

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

Heliian wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:05 am CAWIS is an open service for anyone, you can search with a registration or for type. As of this post, there are no new AD's on the DHC 3
My mistake, I neglected to dig around the site to find the search function for non-login users.

FishermanIvan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FishermanIvan »

Curious as to where you found that accident summary. I couldn’t find it on the CADORS website.

onceacop
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by onceacop »

Athabascan Quote: "Know one knows the ways of the wind or the Caribou".
W5
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by W5 »

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

Well considering this was a pre existing crack, this is more a maintenance issue than a design one. Here is the ad. TC has issued AD CF‑2020-20. However fwics it is still just a visual inspection, would not a removal/ndt every 1000 hrs be the way to go? Hell we did wing bolts on the F27 every C check, that required jigs and scaffolds

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”