Just Leave the Aircraft Behind

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Just Leave the Aircraft Behind

Post by pelmet »

It is going to happen eventually. You get somewhere an there is no gas and not enough fuel on board. Just accept that your day may be ruined and that you will have get gas some other way. You might even be able to buy fuel from another owners aircraft and have it siphoned into jerry cans. Maybe even mogas will work depending on engine type.

"The pilot of C-GBPI, Cessna P210N aircraft, was delivering the aircraft from Montréal/St. Hubert
(CYHU), QB to Saskatchewan. The pilot had originally planned to land in Wawa (CYXZ) for fuel,
but elected to continue to Marathon (CYSP). After landing in CYSP, it was discovered that the fuel
pumps were unserviceable and a NOTAM had been issued. The pilot took off and attempted to
return to CYXZ for fuel, while en route back to CYXZ the aircraft ran out of fuel. The pilot
conducted a forced approach to Paint Lake Road, but the road was not wide enough and the
aircraft's wings contacted the trees causing the aircraft to spin into the forest. The pilot and 2
passengers received minor injuries. The aircraft was substantially damaged."
---------- ADS -----------

Maynard
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Just Leave the Aircraft Behind

Post by Maynard »

Wow running out of fuel going back to where you should’ve stopped in the first place. Lucky to be alive. I don’t understand how people make such dumb decisions. And the kicker had he/she checked the notams it never would’ve happened. Double whaaaamy.

I guess I should write something here.
C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Maynard wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:56 pm \And the kicker had he/she checked the notams it never would’ve happened. Double whaaaamy.
Maybe they did check the NOTAMs and the important one was buried in the hundred others and somewhere between two about the 737 Max8.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

AirFrame wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:10 am
Maynard wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:56 pm \And the kicker had he/she checked the notams it never would’ve happened. Double whaaaamy.
Maybe they did check the NOTAMs and the important one was buried in the hundred others and somewhere between two about the 737 Max8.
Nope, they didn't look, did they.

Go to the site, enter Marathon, click and it's the second one down after the runway conditions. I don't understand what's so difficult about the new site, you might be doing it wrong.

People not doing proper flight planning has led to myriad deaths though.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Heliian wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:29 amI don't understand what's so difficult about the new site, you might be doing it wrong.
Well, my comment was only tongue-in-cheek as many have reported how horrible the new site is. Personally I find it usable, although it's high time we switched to a plain language format.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Very unwise to switch to CYSP in the first place with the fuel remaining. Any required diversion would probably resulted in the same outcome.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”