Asymmetric reverse

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Asymmetric reverse

Post by pelmet »

In certain conditions, it could save the day if directional control issues are encountered. But inadvertent application can have detrimental results....

"C-GCPX, a Swearingen SA-226-AT operated by Skycare Air Ambulance was enroute from
Thunder Bay (CYQT), ON to Sioux Lookout (CYXL), ON with two flight crew members on board.
During the landing roll on Runway 16 at CYXL, the crew pulled the power levers in an asymmetric
configuration and the aircraft veered off to the right side of the runway. While regaining directional
control of the aircraft, the left propeller struck a runway light. The aircraft then taxied to the ramp
without further incident. An inspection of the aircraft by the operator's maintenance revealed damage to one of the blades
of the left propeller."
---------- ADS -----------

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Asymmetric reverse

Post by valleyboy »

slam reverse is not your friend but most of the present Swearingen drivers can't hit the proper touch down zone and end up with a rapid fist full of reverse and then the ride begins.

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Yes, flying the Cheyenne it was procedure to assure the beta lights were both lit, before applying any power in reverse. The added problem with getting wrong reverse is that the reverse, be it symmetrical, or asymmetrical, is that it disturbs the airflow over the tail, so the fin isn't keeping you straight either. I once foolishly selected reverse in the 182 on the step after landing, and had a rather scary ride - 'not doing that again!

Caterpillar
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Caterpillar »

Asymmetric reverse is hard for some guys. It’s the opposite of taxiing with power...

Quiz your co-skipper about which side to reverse if they want to turn right. You will be surprised with the delay they will take to answer you.

Since I’m flying the King Air, does that qualify me to fly the Queen of the skies?
leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

what type of 182 has reverse?

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

what type of 182 has reverse?
This one,

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I1lNTcAdjI[/youtube]

I installed an MT prop for my client. I also installed an MT reversing prop on my flying boat depicted in my avatar. It's a very worthwhile mod, if there's a prop change in your future, though there are some things to be learned about operating with it - it's not beta...

Bavros
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Bavros »

Last edited by Bavros on Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

Of all TPE-331 powered airplanes, the SA226-TC has the poorest engine control design. There are so many bellcranks and cables it is extremely difficult to rig properly. The SA 227 AC Metro 3 has a much improved system.

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

Of all TPE-331 powered airplanes, the SA226-TC has the poorest engine control design. There are so many bellcranks and cables it is extremely difficult to rig properly. The SA 227 AC Metro 3 has a much improved system.
Huh???
The -10, -11, and -12 331's are the same. Same Christmas tree, same telefelx cables.
It's just that you need to know what your doing when rigging a 331.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Caterpillar wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:23 pm Asymmetric reverse is hard for some guys. It’s the opposite of taxiing with power...

Quiz your co-skipper about which side to reverse if they want to turn right. You will be surprised with the delay they will take to answer you.
I think you’re confused. It’s the same as taxiing with power. The lever that’s further forward makes that side of the aircraft faster and the one that’s further back makes the other side of the aircraft slower. It doesn’t matter if one or both are in alpha, beta, or reverse.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

Maybe a summer of Cat skinning should be a prerequisite to flying a plane with reverse thrust? You'll never pull a lever the wrong way after a thousand hours on a D6.

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

Maybe a summer of Cat skinning should be a prerequisite to flying a plane with reverse thrust
The guy who mentored me many years ago explained it that way - back then conventional geared twins but it holds true. I was a farm boy so it was easy to relate. :mrgreen:

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Don’t you use two hands to drive a Cat?

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

I hope you're using two hands to drive your plane too! :D

switchflicker
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by switchflicker »

This topic is giving me a headache.
Doesn't anyone have experience steering an airplane on the ground using the wheel brakes?
Are the brakes not the wheel equivalent of reverse engine thrust?
Speaking of driving a Cat, Where is the old focker anyway. He should be here preaching the virtue of the lowly taildragger.
Or did he get his self throwed out of this forum again.
That's all for now.

"I'd rather have it and not need than to need it and not have it" Capt. Augustus McCrae.
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

GyvAir wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:27 pm I hope you're using two hands to drive your plane too! :D
You’re not using two hands for differential power. At least you shouldn’t be. Differential power is all a Cat has... not so for a plane.

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

Don’t you use two hands to drive a Cat?
and an aeroplane as well but to drive a Cat crazy all one needs is a small laser light or some cat nip.

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

iflyforpie wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:15 pm
GyvAir wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:27 pm I hope you're using two hands to drive your plane too! :D
You’re not using two hands for differential power. At least you shouldn’t be. Differential power is all a Cat has... not so for a plane.
All the new iron would prepare you for now is to drive an Airbus or a fancy new Global anyway:

No row of rusty sticks to figure out anymore like back when I was a kid.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”