Tire Fix-it-Kits

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Tire Fix-it-Kits

Post by pelmet »

Looks like it didn't work for this aircraft. But I am curious if it is something that would be allowed on a certified plane. I suppose amateur-built guys can legally do whatever they want but is it a reasonable type of repair.

"The Pipistrel Virus SW amateur-built tailwheel aircraft, C-GPQX, was returning to Abbotsford
(CYXX) BC from a trip to Oliver BC when during the landing roll out the left main tire deflated. The
aircraft had experienced a deflating left main tire after landing at Oliver and the pilot obtained a 'tire
fix-it' kit, to re-inflate the tire and in the process coat the inner tube with a sealing compound. The
tire had been holding air pressure and the pilot elected to depart for Abbotsford. On initial contact
with the Tower Controller the pilot requested to land long and was expecting to land on Runway
19. Tower cleared the aircraft to land on Runway 25. The aircraft landed long and slow, and during
the roll out, almost at the intersection to Runway 19, the pilot lost directional control due to the drag
produced on the left main wheel by the deflating tire, the aircraft nosed down, the propeller struck
the paved surface, and the aircraft veered to the runway edge.
---------- ADS -----------

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Tire Fix-it-Kits

Post by digits_ »

While in practice most amateur built owners could do what they want because nobody gives a damn, legally they still have to follow certain standards. The main difference is they can perform their own maintenance. Unfortunately that means some pilots resort to some creative fixes.

I replace a fuel line once in my plane. There were 3 different systems used for that one fuel line. One was aviation approved, the other came from the automotive sector, and the third one was a home depot style kind of tube :rolleyes:

The amateur built category is a blessing that can kill you.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

digits_ wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:58 am While in practice most amateur built owners could do what they want because nobody gives a damn, legally they still have to follow certain standards. The main difference is they can perform their own maintenance. Unfortunately that means some pilots resort to some creative fixes.
Thanks,

I wonder if the tire incident would be considered a creative fix or a kit that could be used in accordance with those standards. Would a certified aircraft be able to legally have a Fix-it-Kit used after flat tire?

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

pelmet wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:20 am
digits_ wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:58 am While in practice most amateur built owners could do what they want because nobody gives a damn, legally they still have to follow certain standards. The main difference is they can perform their own maintenance. Unfortunately that means some pilots resort to some creative fixes.
Thanks,

I wonder if the tire incident would be considered a creative fix or a kit that could be used in accordance with those standards. Would a certified aircraft be able to legally have a Fix-it-Kit used after flat tire?
I have never seen it used. Even the shady operators didn't try that, I highly doubt it would be allowed.

Especially for bigger airplanes, I can't see there to be a cost effective way to repair a tire to the same original specs.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

I believe the owner/pilot of a private certified aircraft is allowed to change a tire on their aircraft, is that not elementary work? In the back of my plane I have a bicycle tire repair kit and a small hand pump along with a little jack. I also have a little tool box with enough tools to take a wheel off. I'd only use it if I was stuck at a strip without any other options. I think carrying a couple spare tire tubes would be a more practical thing to do.

Last edited by jakeandelwood on Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Tires can be repaired in accordance with the tire manufacturer's approved procedures. If you can find manufacturer's data for your tire saying it's ok to use such a kit, and you use it in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions, you're good to go.

In other words, no.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

photofly wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:39 am Tires can be repaired in accordance with the tire manufacturer's approved procedures. If you can find manufacturer's data for your tire saying it's ok to use such a kit, and you use it in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions, you're good to go.

In other words, no.
Thanks,

I would think that even the car tire manufacturers wouldn't have instructions(or maybe they do) as they just want to sell tires.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

In any case, most small aircraft wheels have inner tubes, not tubeless tires, and the spray "repair" stuff addresses leaks in the inner tube. I don't know any manufacturer of inner tubes that allows them to be repaired, but who knows.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

I don't buy it. I've landed with a flat main tire on a taildragger, and not lose directional control, nor nosed over. I had to use the pedals more than usual (my first clue!), but not a problem to stay on the runway. More of a problem to get off!

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

The place that sells tube patch kits more than likely sells tubes. An awful lot of gardening equipment uses tubed tires in aircraft-compatible sizes. Obviously pick the most correct answer but in a pinch Princess Aero may have your back...

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

In the distant pass I have plugged a tyre to get home. It was on a 705 turbine and dual wheels. I was more interested in keeping the tyre on bead than supporting the aircraft. It worked great and when I reported it to maintenance once getting home the advised me they could not find where I had plugged the tyre. It would only be seen when removed off rim. It wasn't approved nor was pilots changing tyres but it was done.

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

PilotDAR wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:18 pm I don't buy it. I've landed with a flat main tire on a taildragger, and not lose directional control, nor nosed over. I had to use the pedals more than usual (my first clue!), but not a problem to stay on the runway. More of a problem to get off!
A quick fix spray kit might be really useful for that!

anofly
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by anofly »

I would not be using a "spray fix it" for a tube... I might for a tubless....

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

You need to spin the tire for an extended period for the fix-a-flat to work.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”