Two RTO's on the same runway - at the same time

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Two RTO's on the same runway - at the same time

Post by digits_ »

valleyboy wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:20 am
I’m honestly surprised that a takeoff clearance can be issued with the airplane ahead still on the runway
I've actually witnessed 3 aircraft on T/O roll on one runway. 1st A/c rotating #2 halfway down the runway and 3rd getting a go. Granted in the good old USA but they were in high volume mode. Works great until it doesn't. As a pilot you were almost forced to take it on because if you refused the clearance you went to the back of the line or the penalty box. Do they still have them in ORD?

I'm thinking that a reject, even one considered low speed should have transponder to emergency squak (it's done anyway with an emergency like a fire). We don't have the luxury of being able to see other aircraft depending on wx and time of day. There is a dependence on ground radar now why not use it for this. The NG A/C it could be added to the software to come on automatically. I once witnessed a DC8 have a cargo door on T/O (ya they got it back on the ground) and the tower was able to stop all aircraft movement in about 10 seconds while the emergency unfolded. Pretty simple if they have the information. Clearly radio calls are not dependable for a busy crew. Just takes a little brain fart or blocked call.
Why not change the system in such a way that a take off clearance is only given when the runway is actually clear of all other traffic? Isn't that the whole point of a take off clearance to begin with? How much time does anyone really save with giving take off clearances (and in a way landing clearances) while the runway is still occupied?
---------- ADS -----------

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

Why not change the system in such a way that a take off clearance is only given when the runway is actually clear of all other traffic? Isn't that the whole point of a take off clearance to begin with? How much time does anyone really save with giving take off clearances (and in a way landing clearances) while the runway is still occupied?
Traffic Volume, to do that you would need to cut back on flights per day and would you ever think the government would do that. Not a bad idea really, better for the environment and shrink an industry that is almost out of control but Canadian law change would have no impact on the rest of the world except divert international flights to close airports south of the border.

It's ironic that the present situation was magnified to world wide pandemic in such a short time by the ability of most people to travel the world on a whim.

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
Super31
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Super31 »

It was a Saturday, not much traffic volume, and the weather was SKC like today. Had it been wet or contaminated sure it would have been worse but I highly doubt tower would be running a one-man-show under such conditions. It only happens during days like today for example, Saturday with beautiful skies. A hard set rule that should be followed is Mayday 3x for a rejected takeoff regardless of which country you're in and I'm sure someone will get it. Although it's hectic moment and who knows if the person will remember the 3x Mayday call with all that could be going on.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

pelmet wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:06 pm I know a lot of pilots like to take a quick look down the runway just prior to adding power for takeoff. Who knows what you might see. Maybe a flock of birds or other animal, vehicle, another aircraft landing in the opposite direction at an uncontrolled airport, etc. Looking to see that the previous aircraft got airborne is another thing. Could prevent a disaster.
Here is a good example on a fairly short runway...

"C-GTYI, a Cessna 152 operated by SkyQuest Aviation Ltd., was conducting flight training at
Langley Airport (CYNJ), BC and was asked by the Langley Tower to line up (backtrack) and wait
for a Runway 19 departure. At the same time, another aircraft (Cessna 172, C-GAMN) had just
landed on Runway 19 and was instructed to exit at Taxiway Alpha. C-GTYI was observed
beginning the take-off roll. The tower issued instructions to C-GTYI to stop as C-GAMN was still on
the runway. C-GTYI responded with the aircraft identification and continued the take-off which was
completed with the second aircraft still on the runway. The pilot of C-GTYI had misinterpreted the
backtrack instruction as cleared for takeoff. No collision occurred and there was no damage."

doiwannabeapilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by doiwannabeapilot »

valleyboy wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:01 am
Traffic Volume, to do that you would need to cut back on flights per day and would you ever think the government would do that. Not a bad idea really, better for the environment and shrink an industry that is almost out of control but Canadian law change would have no impact on the rest of the world except divert international flights to close airports south of the border.

It's ironic that the present situation was magnified to world wide pandemic in such a short time by the ability of most people to travel the world on a whim.
Not sure the situation meets the definition of irony.

Consolidating shipments (i.e. Amazon) to once per month only (delaying that shipment of a small item because you just have to have it in 2 days),
walking to the grocery store
using Facebook less
those are great things to do at the altar of climate change.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Heliian wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:46 pm Brake lights and turn signals should be required on all aircraft. Throw in a horn too for good measure.

Seems like everything ended up as it should, both aircraft stopped in time.
And "How's my flying dial 1800-EAT-$HIT" and "Dog is my Co-Pilot" bumper stickers

A big +1 from me

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”