Crash in Nelson BC

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

200hr Wonder
Rank 10
Rank 10

Crash in Nelson BC

Post by 200hr Wonder »

A Cessna 180 has ended up off airport in Nelson. Both occupants only have minor injuries. Appears to have gone through the fence at some point. Catastrophic gear issue?
CTV News Article
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by 200hr Wonder on Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,

200hr Wonder
karmutzen
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Crash in Nelson BC

Post by karmutzen »

You mean “gear”? Yes, it eventually gave up - after a gust of wind picked up the right wing landing on RWY 22, it caught the fence with the left, leapfrogged its way to the middle of the parking lot. Wind at 9 was WNW at 16 km/hr, at 10 it was W 16 gust to 30 (km/hr).

https://www.nelsonstar.com/news/plane-c ... rking-lot/

propfeather
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by propfeather »

Here's a statement from the pilot, posted on facebook by one of his friends.

"The 180 in Nelson was mine. I came into the airport over the ridge so I was high. I crossed mid field and the wind was right down the runway. I extended my right downwind for 22 to lose the rest of my altitude. The whole time in on final I had nothing but wind in my face so I decided to 3 point it so I could stop by the hangers. I guess that was a mistake. I had my wife with me. The landing was fine. I was probably down to about 40mph when a wind like I have never felt before picked up my right wing and just about flipped me over. My wife said it felt like we were in a kite . I tried to power up and go around which was another mistake. There was no saving it. I should have just let it ground loop I guess. It could have been way worse. It was a beautiful bird. I am very sad.
Jordie"

Turbolag
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Turbolag »

I learned to fly at that airport while I was in high school. I was lucky enough to have instructors to stop me doing stupid sh!t when I didn’t know enough not to.

This gentleman was not so lucky. Could have been so much worse. He and his wife are very lucky, as is the wholesale club for low customer turn out that day.

Years back there was a Cessna 172 C-GWOP that ran off the end of 03 (back then). Through the fence and everything. The student pilot’s comments to the first passer-by; “what! You never seen an airplane crash before!” Balls ‘TIL the end. Ha.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... =emb_title

Looks like it was a bit windy that day according to the windsock.

I used to fly a 180 on wheels. Docile in the grass....didn't like its crosswind handling on pavement. But I only had about 10 hours tailwheel experience at the time and the runway was one of those very narrow sidewalk-like ones. Remember chickening out and using the 182 option to take the skydivers up a few times and cancelled a few loads. Oh well, there is always another day.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

C-FZYZ, a privately operated Cessna 180, was conducting a VFR flight from a private grass
airstrip at Blind Bay, BC to Nelson (CZNL), BC with 1 pilot and 1 passenger-pilot on board. During
the landing on Runway 22, the aircraft encountered a strong cross wind from the North which
resulted in the right wing rising. The pilot applied power to try and stabilize the aircraft and to avoid
a ground loop; however, control of the aircraft was lost. The aircraft left the runway surface and
went through the airport fence, across a road, and came to rest in a parking lot approximately 80
meters form the runway centerline. Both persons on board sustained minor injuries. There was no
post-impact fire.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”