Buttonville CYKZ C172 Crash August 24, 2020

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Buttonville CYKZ C172 Crash August 24, 2020

Post by photofly »

I’m sure we agree that demolishing a hangar with a 172 does little to encourage a reversal of that trend!
---------- ADS -----------

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

photofly wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:11 am I’m sure we agree that demolishing a hangar with a 172 does little to encourage a reversal of that trend!
:shock:

My point is there is always consequences to policy. Sorry for thread drift.

Everyone wants interest rates low forever -- or negative-- but are surprised when banks don't want to lend (they are sharply pulling back too) or insurers pull back / hike rates.

DBC
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DBC »

How does a video like this end up on youtube? Does Canadian Flyers put cameras in their planes or is this his own?

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

DBC wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:36 am How does a video like this end up on youtube? Does Canadian Flyers put cameras in their planes or is this his own?
I was wondering that too. Of course education from this is one thing.

Some joyously get themselves off by internet shaming of others. It's apparently a fun hobby these days. High schoolers love to do it to those they don't like.

I endorse this video in relation first motive, not the second.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Kinda does take the term hangar rash to a whole new level.

Let’s Go Brandon
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

photofly wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:11 am I’m sure we agree that demolishing a hangar with a 172 does little to encourage a reversal of that trend!
In terms of accident claims, here is what are the costliest categories for the insurance companies.........

https://www.aopa.org/training-and-safet ... 20products

jp7500
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by jp7500 »

He likely added power because he was doing touch and goes in the circuit and hadn't been cleared to land? If this was a solo with a full stop then I am confused as to why the full power after touching down:( maybe I'm trying to find an excuse for his poor decision, either way I feel bad for this guy and like others have commented very surprised he was ready for a solo flight.

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

Hard to see what his feet are doing but after applying full power, I would have expected to see the aircraft yaw to the left (instead of right), provided no rudder was applied, especially asuming the wind is coming from the right. Perhaps he over-corrected for the anticipated yaw? Is it possible there was something wrong with the directional control of the aircraft?

Going for the deck at corner
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Without proper crosswind inputs, an aircraft will usually yaw into the wind after landing, and depart the upwind side of the runway.

I think the power application was an attempt to rescue squiffy ground handling by taking off again. I don’t detect anything that correct rudder and aileron inputs couldn’t have fixed. Until impact.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

photofly wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:47 pm Without proper crosswind inputs, an aircraft will usually yaw into the wind after landing, and depart the upwind side of the runway.

I think the power application was an attempt to rescue squiffy ground handling by taking off again. I don’t detect anything that correct rudder and aileron inputs couldn’t have fixed. Until impact.
I don’t really see the yaw and assumed the aircraft was being pushed to the side but you are correct that the wind was coming from the left. Nonetheless, adding power would have generated left yaw.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

AuxBatOn wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:31 pm Hard to see what his feet are doing but after applying full power, I would have expected to see the aircraft yaw to the left (instead of right), provided no rudder was applied, especially asuming the wind is coming from the right. Perhaps he over-corrected for the anticipated yaw? Is it possible there was something wrong with the directional control of the aircraft?
I believe full right rudder was applied to avoid the excursion. It was difficult to see the input but if you watch the top of his right knee, it disappears just as he adds full power and the aircraft starts the right turn. It was an over-reaction.

Onesie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Onesie »

He sure did come off cool as a cucumber... super calm and collected, ripping sideways down the grass for another circuit like ops normal... unreal. i came across this video through whatsapp... good question.. who leaked this vid? Doubt the fella who posted it on YT did with permission

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

pelmet wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:49 pm
AuxBatOn wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:31 pm Hard to see what his feet are doing but after applying full power, I would have expected to see the aircraft yaw to the left (instead of right), provided no rudder was applied, especially asuming the wind is coming from the right. Perhaps he over-corrected for the anticipated yaw? Is it possible there was something wrong with the directional control of the aircraft?
I believe full right rudder was applied to avoid the excursion. It was difficult to see the input but if you watch the top of his right knee, it disappears just as he adds full power and the aircraft starts the right turn. It was an over-reaction.
Sure then why not keep applying right rudder at least to avoid the hangar? He was trying to go right (as evidenced by the full right yoke).

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

AuxBatOn wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:48 pm
Sure then why not keep applying right rudder at least to avoid the hangar? He was trying to go right (as evidenced by the full right yoke).
We are talking about a student pilot. One could also ask why he didn't bring the throttle to idle or not try to steer it like a car(or Ercoupe)........because he is a student pilot. Yes, I know, there are sharp student pilots. To expect all of them to react properly or logically when all kinds of licensed pilots don’t(some with significant experience) is not realistic.

Last edited by pelmet on Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

Where to begin ?

The way he rammed that throttle in was just rude !!!
That is no way to treat a lady .
I might have slapped his wrist if he done that with me sitting there , if I was paying the maintenance on that airplane it would be his last flight with my plane .

The accelerator pump on the Marvel carburetor is meant to prevent detention if you advance the throttle too quick , but that was just Rude . That habit would have to be changed before he got near big engines .

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

C-GJQB a Cessna 172M, registered to Canadian Flyers International and being operated by a
student pilot (sole occupant) was conducting circuits at the Toronto Buttonville Municipal Airport
(CYKZ), ON. After the aircraft touched down for landing on runway 33 it veered to the left. The pilot
applied full power in an attempt to get airborne. However, the aircraft subsequently veered to the
right, exited the runway surface near taxiway BRAVO 1 (B1) and transitioned across a grass infield
area, a taxiway, and then collided with a hangar located on the apron. The aircraft was destroyed
and the hangar sustained substantial damage. The student pilot was taken to the hospital for
assessment, but received only minor injuries.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Whoever had this video released it to the media as well.

Still pure educational motives at play? Interesting video, but one wonders.

Did this have the pilots permission to be released? How old was he?

I disagree with the constant reality TV part of the media reporting people's public meltdowns on commercial planes ect.

That is not "news". No Pulitzer Prize winning reporter would want to report someone's public meltdown. It's a daily portion of blood to feed the mob. People get off on the tragedy of others.

We don't know what was going on in so many of these situations. Mental illness. A death in the family. Fear of flying. Anxiety attacks. Yeah, there are racists. But that's far from all of what's going on that's people's worst days need to be made public all the time.

The media doesn't care. No one cares. People having a hard time exist to be mocked. Compassion has completely disappeared in our society. And that is not Donald Trump's fault, either.

It's the fault of those who voted for him. The social unrest in the US should surprise no-one.

I watched this video, and I simply see a young man not ready to go solo, and he panicked. Now he'll be laughed at for all time.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/video?playlistId=1.4445719

EDIT:

IF this kid had died, burned alive in the crash, would it still be cool to publish the video, had it survived?

Sorry for thread drift.

Dh8Classic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dh8Classic »

rookiepilot wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:45 am Whoever had this video released it to the media as well.

I disagree with the constant reality TV part of the media reporting people's public meltdowns on commercial planes ect.

That is not "news". No Pulitzer Prize winning reporter would want to report someone's public meltdown. It's a daily portion of blood to feed the mob. People get off on the tragedy of others.

We don't know what was going on in so many of these situations. Mental illness. A death in the family. Fear of flying. Anxiety attacks. Yeah, there are racists. But that's far from all of what's going on that's people's worst days need to be made public all the time.

The media doesn't care. No one cares. People having a hard time exist to be mocked. Compassion has completely disappeared in our society. And that is not Donald Trump's fault, either.

It's the fault of those who voted for him. The social unrest in the US should surprise no-one.

I watched this video, and I simply see a young man not ready to go solo, and he panicked. Now he'll be laughed at for all time.

EDIT:

IF this kid had died, burned alive in the crash, would it still be cool to publish the video, had it survived?

Sorry for thread drift.
It is the fault of Trump voters that the video was released and he is mocked. Trump voters, Trump voters. :smt091

tsgarp
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgarp »

AuxBatOn wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:48 pm
If you listen you can hear a fair bit of tire squeal and what sounds like a pretty hearty shimmy in something. I wouldn’t be surprised there is a mechanical aspect to this.

tsgarp
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgarp »

rookiepilot wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:45 am Whoever had this video released it to the media as well.

EDIT:

Sorry for thread drift.
The media is there to make money and distract the masses. They are also the circus in “Bread and Circuses”.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”