VIDEO: PIPER PA28 ARCHER Makes a nearly Perfect Emergency Beach Landing on Treasure Island, Florida Jan 17 2021

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

challenger_nami
Rank 5
Rank 5

VIDEO: PIPER PA28 ARCHER Makes a nearly Perfect Emergency Beach Landing on Treasure Island, Florida Jan 17 2021

Post by challenger_nami »

DATE: 17 Jan 2021

After an engine failure, PIPER PA28 Archer Makes a nearly Perfect Emergency Beach Landing on Treasure Island, Florida.

LANDING VIDEO & PILOT’s INTERVIEW with TV NEWS: https://youtu.be/bcVDaXiB14I

Student and Instructor were onboard. No injuries reported.
Minor damage to the right wing tip after hitting a pole on the beach.

---------- ADS -----------

Attachments
7FE9561F-D6CC-4B89-BB74-C2B67B2BF4A7.jpeg
7FE9561F-D6CC-4B89-BB74-C2B67B2BF4A7.jpeg (614.67 KiB) Viewed 1175 times
Last edited by challenger_nami on Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Challener’s Rules of Engagement:
Challenger shall not engage those who lack common sense, Intelligence OR those who bring forward id*otic assertions
linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: VIDEO: PIPER PA28 WARRIOR Makes a nearly Perfect Emergency Beach Landing on Treasure Island, Florida Jan 17 2021

Post by linecrew »

They hit a pole and if that's the only damage then good for them.

I think it's an Archer, not a Warrior...i only say that because it says Archer II on the cowling.

challenger_nami
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: VIDEO: PIPER PA28 ARCHER Makes a nearly Perfect Emergency Beach Landing on Treasure Island, Florida Jan 17 2021

Post by challenger_nami »

@linecrew
I Made the correction. Thanks for pointing that out.

Challener’s Rules of Engagement:
Challenger shall not engage those who lack common sense, Intelligence OR those who bring forward id*otic assertions
ghazanhaider
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: VIDEO: PIPER PA28 ARCHER Makes a nearly Perfect Emergency Beach Landing on Treasure Island, Florida Jan 17 2021

Post by ghazanhaider »

How irresponsible do you have to be to land on such a busy beach instead of ditching in the water.

This could have easily gotten far worse.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: VIDEO: PIPER PA28 WARRIOR Makes a nearly Perfect Emergency Beach Landing on Treasure Island, Florida Jan 17 2021

Post by pelmet »

linecrew wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:37 pm They hit a pole and if that's the only damage then good for them.

I think it's an Archer, not a Warrior...i only say that because it says Archer II on the cowling.
I’m far from an expert on all the various Piper singles named after tribes. But I did rent an Archer for a while. Maybe something to do with tapered wings versus Hershey bar wings. This one seems to have the taper. Seems like different handling characteristics on landing.

Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

So, the young lady lands in the water; the plane turns turtle; she's momentarily stunned; can't get out of the aircraft and drowns.

And the same naysayers will say: "Why the hell didn't she head for the beach; there was no one around for miles"

Nope. Head for the beach every time. If the beach becomes untenable, go into the water.

Case in point: airliner full of passengers out of fuel landing on a closed runway at a abandoned airport with people playing/camping on runway. Should airliner veer off and try landing in field that is guaranteed to have catastrophic consequences for all or land on the runway where a few people may be impacted...?

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

ghazanhaider wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:47 pm How irresponsible do you have to be to land on such a busy beach instead of ditching in the water.

How stupid do you have to be to think you know better? No injuries, so it obviously was the right choice. I can't see a single person on that beach that was at risk during the landing.

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by linecrew »

ghazanhaider wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:47 pm How irresponsible do you have to be to land on such a busy beach instead of ditching in the water.

Apparently the there is a global pandemic on the go right now. That beach is pretty empty these days.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”