Mid-air near Mission

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

whoop_whoop
Rank 2
Rank 2

Mid-air near Mission

Post by whoop_whoop »

I know it's early, but just found this link on CBC. I hope there are some survivors. :shock:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columb ... ml?ref=rss

WW
---------- ADS -----------

moocow
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Mid-air near Mission

Post by moocow »

News broadcast said 1 dead so far. I'm afraid something like this would eventually happen in that area of town.

bizjets101
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by bizjets101 »

PS: thanks for posting it in General Comments - where AvCanada members will see it - as opposed to Accidents where people may or may not stumble across it. Definitely a current news event!!!!

One person is dead following a plane crash near Mission on Wednesday afternoon.

The collision happened around 4:30 p.m., when two planes -- believed to both be Cessnas -- clipped each other while flying in Deroche, near Mission, said Mission RCMP Sgt. Miriam Dickson.

One plane, carrying two people, crashed into Nicoman Slough, north of Lougheed Highway, Dickson said.

"The individuals were pulled out of it by the fire department here, as well as police and some passersby," Dickson said. "One person was in the water, completely submerged, and the other one was submerged up to his waist."

One of those people was pronounced dead at the scene, while the other was taken to hospital by air ambulance.

The other plane managed to land safely in a farmer's field, Dickson said.

Reports of a third plane turned out to have been based on an unrelated brush fire nearby.

The Lougheed Highway has been closed at Deroche Road in both directions as the investigation continues.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/small+plane ... z1DWDX1tpb

ZBBYLW
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ZBBYLW »

:roll: Well, honestly it's "about time". While I do not wish this on anyone, this was something that was going to happen. There is strictly too many planes in such a small area, of which some are students, for the big sky theory to work at all times.

May the individuals RIP, but for those who still frequent that area keep your head out at all times! I can't even count the times I have found someone a lot closer than I would like. Including one that was probably within 50 feet vertically and maybe a wing lenghts away.

bizjets101
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by bizjets101 »

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loca ... lumbiaHome News video

Reporter states a witness saw four planes flying together, looked away, and two of them had collided?? Unconfirmed - just a witness statement.

Press reporting the four planes took off from Langley Airport CYNJ.

Last edited by bizjets101 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hozer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Hozer »

[quote="ZBBYLW"]:roll: Well, honestly it's "about time". While I do not wish this on anyone, this was something that was going to happen. There is strictly too many planes in such a small area, of which some are students, for the big sky theory to work at all times.

+1

Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

Witnesses reported seeing four planes flying in a diamond formation just before the crash
There sure are a lot of formation experts on this web site!

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

ZBBYLW wrote:Well, honestly it's "about time". While I do not wish this on anyone...
It's "about time" someone died? You "don't wish on anyone" something you imply is past due?
You, sir, are an ass. A good friend of mine (and of others here too) is in hospital tonight, and another person is dead. Have some respect.

Old Dog Flying
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Old Dog Flying »

Rob..Give me a phone call..Barney

Oleo 4
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Oleo 4 »

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of a fellow pilot no matter what the circumstance, blue skies forever and to his/her family you have my condolences!

I have flown many hundreds of hours in Fraser Valley and too have come within seconds of a mid-air, its a nightmare I relive often well into my proffessional career now and while it was almost a finite moment in my short life I saw another day.

That being said - Drop the speculation, the negative comments, and the all around bull sh!t as another person lost their life in this accident!

COMPASSION is the word of the day "boys"

O

I WAS Birddog
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by I WAS Birddog »

AirFrame wrote:
ZBBYLW wrote:Well, honestly it's "about time". While I do not wish this on anyone...
It's "about time" someone died? You "don't wish on anyone" something you imply is past due?
You, sir, are an ass. A good friend of mine (and of others here too) is in hospital tonight, and another person is dead. Have some respect.
Maybe it was too soon for ZBBYLW to post this and this member could have used better words to convey his/her message. However, generally speaking, it's pretty incredible how VFR airspace has been reduced into tiny corridors. We don't know the details of this unfortunate accident. I don't pretend to. But...ZBBYLW in his/her abrupt comment sheds a spot light to this fact...regardless IF this is what actually happened.

But I agree, a choice of better wording AND timing would be more appropriate in the future.

iWbd

Before you plot your revenge on someone, make sure to dig two graveyard plots.
http://twitter.com/@iwasbirddog
bizjets101
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by bizjets101 »

Cessna 150 C-GVXY one person fatal at the scene, the 2nd passed away in hospital.
2nd Cessna landed safely, has cowling and left wing damage - no injuries to the one
person on board.

CPLMike89
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by CPLMike89 »

RIP and condolences to the family and friends.

chu me
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chu me »

Dear Airframe;
In the spring of 2003 I lost a best friend and another friend in the same crash, so I understand what you are going through and you have my deepest sympathies. During times like this it is easy to take people out of context. Shortly after the crash I said some things to another good friend about our mutual friend that I will always regret and can never take back, it caused a rift. Try not to take what people say the wrong way, I believe that Birddog is right, Oleo 4 said something that was inappropriately worded, perhaps better wording would have been " it was only a matter of time ". Never the less I do not believe Oleo4 meant that it was about time. Once again my heart felt sympathies to you and the family of your friend in this tragic time.

Sincerely

Greg

Oleo 4
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Oleo 4 »

You should re-read who wrote what Chu!

ZBBYLW
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ZBBYLW »

Sorry guys about the wording. I honestly did not mean it to cause any hard feelings. What I meant was that I was surprised it had been so long since the last mid air. I honestly did not mean any harm with my words, I am not happy this happen at all.

I honestly think something needs to be done about this piece of airspace.

c170b53
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by c170b53 »

I don't agree with the comments something must be done about this area. A mid-air can happen anywhere especially if someone is operating in stealth mode. Use the radio and if possible avoid those that do not.
My last near miss (last year) was with a DC-3. In deteriorating conditions, I was descending into Rapid City Il, a MF zone airport, the DC-3 was leaving the zone. He was talking to his buddy on the ground rather than stating his position, I had announced my presence earlier. We passed each other < 100 ft apart so fast both of us were just spectators. It didn't help that the DC-3, climbing out from the ground, had a WWII camouflaged green paint scheme.
I don't think that we can foresee these types of circumstances, so use the radio and please refrain from the "conflicting" comment. If there is someone listening nearby they Will let you know where they are.

Last edited by c170b53 on Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
RFlyer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RFlyer »

I completely agree that the airspace around the Fraser valley is hazardous and it's surprising there aren't more mid-air collisions than we've heard about in the past. Some credit has to go to ATC who, occasionally, will call an A/C that is out of their CZ to warn them of a nearby contact, even though it's not part of their job description.

However, according to this morning's CBC radio news report, featuring accounts by two eyewitnesses, this particular crash appears to have been an accident that could have happened to anyone, anywhere and does not appear to have been a random encounter with other passing a/c. The report indicates that 4 a/c left the Langley airport and somehow ended up in a V-shaped formation. Something went tragically wrong and somehow two a/c came into contact - "touched wings" as the report goes - and we know the rest.

I'm very sorry for the families of those involved; nobody wants to hear news like this in the aviation community and I offer my condolences.

RDF

Last edited by RFlyer on Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
HHI
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by HHI »

My condolences to the family and friends of both who died yesterday.

They will be deeply missed by their friends and colleagues.

Both were instrumental in organizing successful and safe events which resulted in many young kids getting a free (usually first) flight in the local Young Eagles and COPA for Kid's flights.

The little blue Cessna affectionately called "Vicky" by her pilot, has heard the delightful giggles and laughs of many a young child.

Yesterday's accident was tragic, but I choose to remember their friendly smiles - and those of the young kids I saw exiting "Vicky". :cry: :cry:

Henry

RVgrin
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RVgrin »

bizjets101 wrote:Cessna 150 C-GVXY
That registration is assigned to a Gruman Tiger AA-5B out of Ontario, which was not apparently involved.

However, a very similar registration belongs to a 150 registered to a friend of mine who leads a formation. I am hoping that D is ok. PM me with details, if you know, please. I am very sad.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”