Ouch - FedEx Caravan breaks fail - taxi's into trucks . . .

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

bizjets101
Rank 10
Rank 10

Ouch - FedEx Caravan breaks fail - taxi's into trucks . . .

Post by bizjets101 »

No injuries, aircraft was arriving in Bakersfield California this morning from Ontario California, and had just landed. Upon taxiing onto the FedEx Apron - the Caravan's brakes failed and the aircraft taxied into two FedEx trucks.

---------- ADS -----------

Sky Pilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Ouch - FedEx Caravan breaks fail - taxi's into trucks .

Post by Sky Pilot »

That sucks! I bet he had just shut his engine down too, so no reverse save....

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

The BRAKES may have failed but I would wager that mr.hotshot mail pilot was taxiing fast as usual. I've seen some of those caravan fedex pilots playing around a little too much and this would be the end result. oops.

bandaid
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by bandaid »

Heliian wrote:The BRAKES may have failed but I would wager that mr.hotshot mail pilot was taxiing fast as usual. I've seen some of those caravan fedex pilots playing around a little too much and this would be the end result. oops.
Pure speculation. This sort of comment is really uncalled for.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

bandaid wrote:Pure speculation. This sort of comment is really uncalled for.
Whoa, whoa there. You're going to grill me because I speculated on a minor incident with no injuries. I have personally seen shenannigans being carried out in that same type and by the same company before. I'd probably do the same if I had to fly one of those slow as molasses in january, frozen in time cessnas too. Also, being a courier service, I'm sure there's lots of pressure on those guys and gals to get the job done as fast as possible. I merely emphasized the word brakes to correct the spelling mistake. Not to put blame on the pic.

bizjets101
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by bizjets101 »

Ooops, I know I spelled breaks, then brakes!!!

Another from last night March 10/2011 an Amerflight Metro landing at Boeing Field - the flight tracker doesn't show anything unusual about the approach to hint there was a gear malfunction, so for whatever reason??, the aircraft landed with gear up!!! Another Ouch - and again no injuries.

bandaid
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by bandaid »

Heliian wrote:
Whoa, whoa there. You're going to grill me because I speculated on a minor incident with no injuries. I have personally seen shenannigans being carried out in that same type and by the same company before. I'd probably do the same if I had to fly one of those slow as molasses in january, frozen in time cessnas too. Also, being a courier service, I'm sure there's lots of pressure on those guys and gals to get the job done as fast as possible. I merely emphasized the word brakes to correct the spelling mistake. Not to put blame on the pic.
Well unless you were there and watched the actual incident unfold then what is it if not speculation?

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Ouch, whenever i see a gear up landing it reminds me of a great little joke:

Q: How do you know if you've landed with the gear up?

A: It takes full power to taxi!

LOLTM

ogc
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ogc »

bizjets101 wrote:Ooops, I know I spelled breaks, then brakes!!!

Another from last night March 10/2011 an Amerflight Metro landing at Boeing Field - the flight tracker doesn't show anything unusual about the approach to hint there was a gear malfunction, so for whatever reason??, the aircraft landed with gear up!!! Another Ouch - and again no injuries.
Flightaware is showing that tail numbers last flight as 40 weeks ago?

bizjets101
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by bizjets101 »

Ameriflight 1951

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/AMF1 ... /KLWS/KBFI

Hmmm, I stand corrected - when I zoomed in on the flight tracker near Boeing Field,
it seems the Metro did some circuits before landing - so it appears his was aware of
his gear problems. Click Here.

If you go to Live ATC KBFI archives.

Les Habitants
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Les Habitants »

bandaid wrote:
Heliian wrote:
Well unless you were there and watched the actual incident unfold then what is it if not speculation?
It's not wrong to speculate? I've seen metro, king air, beech 99, caravan, navajo, and all sorts of pilots taxi the speed of a car on the highway...which really isn't good airmanship, imo, and probably not all that great for the plane. I wouldn't be surprised if he's right...however, it IS pure speculation.

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

Hmmm, I stand corrected - when I zoomed in on the flight tracker near Boeing Field,
it seems the Metro did some circuits before landing - so it appears his was aware of
his gear problems.
Was he?

This plane is being flown single pilot - duty day maxing out, and worked the preceding couple of days (long days). Landing clearance cancelled, circling approach, cleared to land - clearance cx'd again, 3rd landing clearance cx'd - then cleared. touchdown.....oops. Simply overworked and forgot to lower the gear.

warbirdpilot7
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by warbirdpilot7 »

Whoa, whoa there. You're going to grill me because I speculated on a minor incident with no injuries. I have personally seen shenannigans being carried out in that same type and by the same company before. I'd probably do the same if I had to fly one of those slow as molasses in january, frozen in time cessnas too. Also, being a courier service, I'm sure there's lots of pressure on those guys and gals to get the job done as fast as possible. I merely emphasized the word brakes to correct the spelling mistake. Not to put blame on the pic.[/quote]
Well unless you were there and watched the actual incident unfold then what is it if not speculation?[/quote]

It's not wrong to speculate? I've seen metro, king air, beech 99, caravan, navajo, and all sorts of pilots taxi the speed of a car on the highway...which really isn't good airmanship, imo, and probably not all that great for the plane. I wouldn't be surprised if he's right...however, it IS pure speculation.[/quote]

I've seen 727 freight pilots taxi too fast as well(with glowing orange brakes in the morning)....

I'm sure alot of pilots have monday morning quaterbacked an incident and speculated. Usually it's wrong, but the conversation and thoughts generated usually have no impact on the situation.

bizjets101
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by bizjets101 »

Was he?

This plane is being flown single pilot - duty day maxing out, and worked the preceding couple of days (long days). Landing clearance cancelled, circling approach, cleared to land - clearance cx'd again, 3rd landing clearance cx'd - then cleared. touchdown.....oops. Simply overworked and forgot to lower the gear.
Doh!!, stand corrected - again - only 'correct' this time.

Aircraft was landing behind a Slowtation N420CH - first he slowed, then he took forever to clear the runway - Metroliner was told the CJ525 had to be clear of the runway before the Metro crossed the threshold - or he'd have to go around.

The Clay Lacy operated CJ was taking too long, the tower just told the Metro to go around again anyway.

And as you state - he forgot to lower the gear - and shut down 13R.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”