TMA DHC-6 has a very hard landing during a training flight

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: TMA DHC-6 has a very hard landing during a training flig

Post by Cat Driver »

I used to think that the saun.j's in these forums were nothing but irritating parasites, however I have changed my mind and now believe they have a useful function here.

They are living examples of the type of know it all air heads that every young pilot to be should never imitate.

Unfortunately for aviation this type will probably end up instructing and then moving on into the T.C. flight training department and the idiot curve goes even further downward.
---------- ADS -----------

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

seniorpumpkin wrote:
what T.O. operator using cap floats trains the flap less landing these days?
I can't speak for many other operators, but Westcoast Air for sure does. Even co-pilots are trained for it.
Flapless landings are a basic certification requirement.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/r ... tm#523_143

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Dhc6to8
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Dhc6to8 »

I feel sorry for those guys, shit happens and hopefully they will learn from it. I am wondering though if the spreader bar pins failed... The Maldivians are to be respected, I have met many skilled and professional Maldivian crews during my three rotations down there... and, to be honest and fair, there are always going to be a few weak sisters in the bunch and some of the weakest skills were also from Europe and Canada/America... not just Maldivian.
The flapless landing on CAP floats were a briefing item during PPC renewal... however, if the aircraft was equiped with Whips then the flapless landing could be trained.
As Ken Simkins (MAT Chief Pilot) once stated: The operating environment in the Maldives is challenging, and regardless of who sits up front, incidents and accidents will happen... just try to make sure it is not you holding the buck when the music stops....
I hope that TMA will be able to salvage the machine!
fly safe brethern
6to8

post edit: I blew a spreader bar pin apart (on CAPS) once landing in heavy water up in the QCIs up at Langara many years ago... we used a 'come along' to ratchet the floats together and a steel tool to hold the bar in place until the engineers could be flown in to repair her... if memory serves me well it was the famous -NTA... I am just glad that we never ended up like the pictured TMA aircraft!

Rudder Bug
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Rudder Bug »

rigpiggy wrote:sj pardon my french but, your a sphincter muscle.
Even Sphinct Air wouldn't hire him

Flying an aircraft and building a guitar are two things that are easy to do bad and difficult to do right

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yd_QppdGks
Sulako
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Sulako »

sean.j has been removed from the forums, just fyi.

Dhc6to8
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Dhc6to8 »

Since we are on the topic of Twin Otters on floats... and Sean J is history.... I often wondered if TMA is sending their Otters anywhere for rebuild, refurbishment, realignment etc and how their corrosion prevention program is set up? I ask this because I ferried numerous Otters to and from the Maldives for Borek back in the day.... and when Uncle Kenny's boys were finished with them in YYC they were as good as new.... also, is MAT/TMA contracting Borek or Altenrhein Aviation for overhaul? The salt water environment is very hard on these machines as well as the landings and takeoffs on heavy water... if anybody could shed any light on what set up these companies have now I would appreciate it!
6to8

pilotwhoisneverhome
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by pilotwhoisneverhome »

"The TWO MAT crashes which thankfully didnt result in any injuries were both Maldivian crews."----

Actually 8Q-MAS had one Maldivian crew member and one Canadian.

Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”