Airshow act turns tragic.

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Driving Rain
Rank 10
Rank 10

Airshow act turns tragic.

Post by Driving Rain »

http://shelby-utica.patch.com/articles/ ... e-air-show

A man has died after falling from a stunt plane at the Selfridge Air Show on Sunday, according to a spokesperson at the Mount Clemens Regional Medical Center.

Todd Green fell 200 feet to the ground when he tried to switch from his airplane to a helicopter at approximately 1:30 p.m. Sunday at the show at Selfridge Air National Guard Base in Harrison Township, according to a press release from the 127th Wing Public Affairs.

Green, who was a wing walker, was flying on John Mohr’s Steerman aircraft.

Green was taken to Mount Clemens Regional Medical Center. Hospital spokesperson Diane Kish said he has died.

The 127th Wing Public Affairs said more information would be released as it becomes available.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kgf5SUJ2OAo
---------- ADS -----------

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Airshow act turns tragic.

Post by Doc »

I'm sorry. He did, what? Darwin at work.

Same thing when somebody tries to climb from one car to another while driving along the highway....really STUPID!!

robertsailor1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by robertsailor1 »

Stupid is one way to see this but for the people out there its just a passion. Like low level aerobatics, some people live a long life and many others don't. Most of us want to live a protected life and there is nothing wrong with that but there are people out there, risk takers, that often really make things happen. When everyone thought the world was flat and you'd sail off the edge some risk takers crossed oceans and without them we wouldn't be here. Its sad when a life is taken like this but he may have lived a higher quality life than those that are twice as old.

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

Airshow performer dies and we get this
Doc wrote:I'm sorry. He did, what? Darwin at work.

Same thing when somebody tries to climb from one car to another while driving along the highway....really STUPID!!

...classy

RIP Todd Green
robertsailor1 wrote: Stupid is one way to see this but for the people out there its just a passion. Like low level aerobatics, some people live a long life and many others don't. Most of us want to live a protected life and there is nothing wrong with that but there are people out there, risk takers, that often really make things happen. When everyone thought the world was flat and you'd sail off the edge some risk takers crossed oceans and without them we wouldn't be here. Its sad when a life is taken like this but he may have lived a higher quality life than those that are twice as old.
+1

BankAngle1987
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by BankAngle1987 »

A sad weekend for airshows indeed. We're also mourning the loss of airshow veteran aerobatic pilot Bryan Jensen who lost control during a precision spin and was unable to recover. Our thoughts go out to the families of these men. And to those who would criticize their acts as foolish or stupid, the thousands of hours of rehearsal leading to each event speak otherwise. These are well-trained individuals who, though they risk death with every performance, are passionate about what they do. RIP Todd and Bryan.

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/08/20/30 ... plane.html

Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle. It's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.
robertsailor1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by robertsailor1 »

Not a good weekend for sure, another one to add to the mix

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?secti ... id=8317982

floatplanepilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by floatplanepilot »

Inappropriate and tasteless. Back to sensitivity training for you.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Jesus doc... I expected more from you buddy.

Sad to hear. Saw the video. creepy.

condolences to the family

square
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by square »

Doc's not wrong he's being honest you don't have to ride him. These three accidents are an ineffable tragedy that will not be forgotten.. God bless them.

Gogona
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Gogona »

robertsailor1 wrote:Not a good weekend for sure, another one to add to the mix
http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?secti ... id=8317982
For that topic, it would be more appropriate to mention British airshow tragedy first: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-14616984

However, the preliminary description of NJ accident is wrong. This one is more accurate - http://www.philly.com/philly/news/128186413.html

winds_in_flight_wtf
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by winds_in_flight_wtf »

I agree with one of the youtube commentators - the crowd got more of a thrill as he was cartwheeling towards the ground (as if it was suppose to happen)

Sad indeed

Tim
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Tim »

always thought wing-walking was dumb. now im sure. sad somebody died...but not surprising.

TheCheez
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by TheCheez »

So you're the first to come out and blast this guy, but in the Res Bay discussion you were against people analyzing the causes out of respect for the dead.....hmm

'Nuff said. I should think'

dashx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by dashx »

Inappropriate or not he stated his true feelings.

Life is full of risks. Isn't it?

In any case Doc watch out: Darwin at work in the home.......http://www.videojug.com/interview/death-in-the-home

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

TheCheez wrote:

So you're the first to come out and blast this guy, but in the Res Bay discussion you were against people analyzing the causes out of respect for the dead.....hmm

'Nuff said. I should think'
You're comparing a crash of a 737 with somebody falling out of an airplane??? If a teenager dies climbing from a Chev to a Ford at 70 mph on the freeway, it's a "stupid" thing to do.....BUT climbing out of an airplane into a helicopter is OKAY???? It's dumb, stupid, moronic, immature, careless, boneheaded, and totally UNNECESSARY! I don't "feel" for the guy. I'm a firm believer that "stupid" should hurt. Live with it.

Tim
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Tim »

must say i have to agree with doc. this is a do or die stunt every single time, no outs, no safety net. he did what we always say you should never do (as a pilot anyways) which is back yourself into a corner with only one out. the REALLY tragic part is that 75000 people had to see it happen.

KK7
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KK7 »

People take risks every day to enjoy life, without risk life becomes very boring. Smart risks are calculated and the potential outcomes are known. Kids jumping from one car to another on a highway don't usually put much thought into the potential outcome. This man was a professional and no doubt knew what the risks were and what could happen. This was his passion, he enjoyed it, and he died doing something he loved. He didn't put innocent bystanders at risk. Putting him down after his death is a pretty shameful thing to do in my opinion.

linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by linecrew »

Tim wrote:..the REALLY tragic part is that 75000 people had to see it happen.
+1

Gogona
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Gogona »

Doc wrote:It's dumb, stupid, moronic, immature, careless, boneheaded, and totally UNNECESSARY! I don't "feel" for the guy. I'm a firm believer that "stupid" should hurt. Live with it.
He ran exactly the same risk, as ALL low-level aerobatic performers do. So would you say the same words about any unlucky airshow pilot?
Or maybe you might tell your straightforward opinion to Kyle Franklin, for example?
KK7 wrote:Putting him down after his death is a pretty shameful thing to do in my opinion
+1

robertsailor1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by robertsailor1 »

There are two kinds of guys and a bunch in between. Risk takers on one side and risk avoiders on the other. Most of us are in between. The real risk takers look at the avoiders as people that might out live them but it will be a very boring life and is not for them. The avoiders don't need the adrenalin rushes of the risk takers and are happy working collecting stamps or working in the garden.
You could go back to the days when we all played in sand boxes and pretty much be able to pick out who was who by watching the kids play.
Whether its long boarding, surfing,sky jumping,aerobatics,motorcycles or whatever the risk takers are drawn in to different activities that are thrilling. Lots and lots of these folks are hurt badly and a few are killed but it will never stop them from engaging in these activities.
The avoiders are happy to engage in zero risk activities and look at the risk takers as "Stupid" or idiots or whatever. Neither side has any appreciation for the other as they can't understand why someone would behave the way that they do.
Hence the debate..Your either stupid or boring. I was just viewing a very cool vid of a real risk taker that I'm sure everyone will enjoy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWfph3iN ... r_embedded

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”