BC Plane Crash - Nakusp

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: BC Plane Crash - Nakusp

Post by Cat Driver »

One only has to look at how the floats are bent up at the front to know it flew into the water in a nose down attitude.

The truly horrible part is someone died it the accident.
---------- ADS -----------

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

180 wrote:
Redneck_pilot86 wrote:Why is it that the First Air thread is full of people complaining about using an accident the speculate on the cause, but in this thread the third poster has all the answers and noone has any problem with this?
He was repeating what he read in the news report from the previous poster. The pilot was interviewed and said he was tricked by the glassy water. It's not speculation when it comes from the horse's...

Sorry, you're right, I had not seen the updates at the bottom of the second article when I made that statement.

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
AJV
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by AJV »

Cat Driver wrote:One only has to look at how the floats are bent up at the front to know it flew into the water in a nose down attitude.

The truly horrible part is someone died it the accident.
I think he says he bounced, could be he got scared and pushed forward? really piling it in? is really sad for the lost soul. Just a couple of old pals going for a fun time fishing, sh**y how it turned out, I can only imagine how the pilot feels at this point.....

Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by 180 »

Maybe a lesson to be learned here?

Big bounce on glassy water = full power, landing attitude, positive rate VSI, go around.

HS-748 2A
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by HS-748 2A »

180 wrote:Maybe a lesson to be learned here?

Big bounce on glassy water = full power, landing attitude, positive rate VSI, go around.
After hitting and getting tossed around all kattywompus, I'd say there was no way he had that kind of option. It probably dug in very quickly.

The fastest way to turn money into smoke and noise..
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

The picture of the crash seems to tell me that the aircraft hit the water hard on the front part of the floats (water is pretty much concrete at high speeds and descent rates) so I don't think a 'bounce and go' would have been possible.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
tiggermoth
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by tiggermoth »

This quote was in the local paper by an eye witness.

Nakusp resident Ray Lythgoe was taking a stroll along the Nakusp waterfront shortly after 8 a.m. He heard a plane engine sputter and die, and looked up to see the descending plane.

"I heard the motor go dead," Lythgoe said, "then a big splash." Conditions were sunny and calm at the time.
Very unfortunate accident. My condlences to the family of the passenger.

A bit of an off topic comment regarding robertsailor's post quoted above. (NOTE: this is not in any way directed towards robertsailor, just media/witnesses in general).

Why is it that whenever there is an aviation accident, there is ALWAYS a witness somewhere who heard the engine sputter/die. Even some airshow crashes when the plane goes in at full bore all the way, slassy water.omone still heard a "sputter". I think my favorite was a quote from a "witness" of the Colgan Air crash in Buffalo. This clown told the reporter that he was a private pilot and he heard the DHC-8's engine sputter, and it sounded exactly like carb ice, because he had that happen to him so he knows!!!!

Anyhow, I hope the pilot can still make a recovery from this accident and continue to fly. He certainly will come away with a new respect for glassy water.

HS-748 2A
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by HS-748 2A »

tiggermoth wrote:
Why is it that whenever there is an aviation accident, there is ALWAYS a witness somewhere who heard the engine sputter/die. Even some airshow crashes when the plane goes in at full bore all the way, slassy water.omone still heard a "sputter". I think my favorite was a quote from a "witness" of the Colgan Air crash in Buffalo. This clown told the reporter that he was a private pilot and he heard the DHC-8's engine sputter, and it sounded exactly like carb ice, because he had that happen to him so he knows!!!!
This is very true.

The fastest way to turn money into smoke and noise..
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by 180 »

Am I the only guy who actually read the news link?

The Arrow Lakes News spoke to the pilot after he returned to the shore to monitor the recovery effort. He didn't want to use his name because next of kin of his deceased passenger hadn't yet been notified. The pilot suffered only very minor scratches.

He said that the crash was due to a perception issue created when landing on extremely smooth water. With the sun reflecting off the mirror-like surface, it can be very hard to perceive your altitude.

"I knew the problem with glassy water," he said. "You can't see how far you are from the water."

In mountain lakes, he usually lands closer to the shore, using the shoreline as his guide. Today, the glassy water fooled him. He was out further than he thought when the plane hit the surface of the lake.

"It bounced and next time it hit, it flipped over," he said, "and that was it."

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”