How safe is Air Travel in Yellowknife?

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

CAN_Yeager
Rank 1
Rank 1

How safe is Air Travel in Yellowknife?

Post by CAN_Yeager »

How safe is air travel in Yellowknife?

Now with three accidents in two months, It starts people thinking are these events just a matter of coincidence or is their an underlining factor involved here. If you have spent any time in Aviation in Yellowknife, it's is not hard to realize that a lot of people are getting there start in Aviation up there. I would hazard to guess that the ratio of inexperienced verses experienced personal is higher their then anywhere in Canada (with pilots and AME's).

Now before someone bites off my head, there has been no evidence that the pilots or AME's have been the root cause of any of these accidents. However even if procedures were followed by the book by the pilots and everything was maintained “In accordance with applicable maintenance standards” there are many things that are not published in any manual to do (pilots) or to look for (AME's) that could only done by experienced personal.

Also Yellowknife is in the most inhospitable part of Canada extreme temperature variations causing mechanical break downs more frequently and the vast majority of aircraft being operated in Yellowknife are older than in most other cities.

Another factor my be lead times for parts are very long due to delays in shipping and high demand to keep aircraft operating. There maybe a tendency to MEL equipment or remove parts from another aircraft more often then in other locations.

I would like to open a discussion on these topic's
---------- ADS -----------

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: How safe is Air Travel in Yellowknife?

Post by Meatservo »

EDITED - She was right. Warned

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
Mad Flying Ace
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mad Flying Ace »

EDITED

Clodhopper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Clodhopper »

Wow. Take it easy guys. The OP is asking a very valid question that I am sure has crossed the minds of many Canadians over the past few weeks. We have 3 accidents in the same geographic region of Canada, one which is known to be more challenging than most others.

Those from the area, or those "in the know" might be quick to bite the OP's head off for asking, but the general public and others who haven't flown "North of 60" might be starting to wonder.

We have no firm causes for any of the three crashes so far, so everything up until now is speculative or based on witness testimonies. Until we do, what is wrong with a discussion about what really is going on up there?

I'll play devil's advocate for a second (not my opinion, but lets assume many people may start putting 2 and 2 together and draw this conclusion): 3 crashes within a month, also timed with a rapid up-tick in hiring at all the southern operators/airlines, potentially pulling many experienced aviators from their long-held positions up north. Co-incidence? Non-event? Perhaps, perhaps not. There are going to be lots of questions asked in the coming days and weeks, some stupid, others not-so.

a.k.a. "Big Foot"
Changes in Latitudes
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Changes in Latitudes »

So you didn't know any of the pilots in the accidents clod? I can tell you that 3 of which I did know, I wouldn't call their experience, and dedication to professionalism into judgement. Not everyone is in a race to rolley bags and salary cuts up there. If you want to play devil's advocate, do your homework because you got personal in a hurry by making such a wild speculation.

Respectfully,

CiL.

grimey
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by grimey »

3 accidents, in 3 different places, in 3 different aircraft types, in different circumstances, by different operators.

It's completely random. Tragic, but random. There is no problem with northern aviation.

no sig because apparently quoting people in context is offensive to them.
KK7
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KK7 »

There's probably no problem at all given the different types of aircraft, operations and locations and so on. However, a very real problem is that the public doesn't understand the situation the same way we do. When I saw this accident this morning, one of the thoughts that passed through my mind was exactly that - how is the public going to react to this now?

Our job as members of the aviation community will be to convince the general public that there is no link here. Mouthing off about it right off the bat will not instill any confidence in the flying public. I had the same initial reaction to tell this fellow to F Off, but it's not going to help. It's too soon after the crash, unfortunately the media won't care and I am certain by tomorrow this idea will start rearing its ugly head in the news stories.

We don't want this discussion, we shouldn't need this discussion, but it will need to happen.

buck82
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by buck82 »

And another reminder. The Aircraft involved are not any different than what you see flying all over the rest of Canada; 737, twin otter, caravan. Educate yourself. Sincere condolences to the families involved.

SAR_YQQ
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by SAR_YQQ »

Comparing Yellowknife geographically with Resolute is a bit of a stretch. Just because they are north doesn't associate them all in one place. Yellowknife isn't the Arctic.

godsrcrazy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by godsrcrazy »

I doubt things have changed in the past year's in Yzf. When i was in YZF it use to be rated like the 5th or 6th busiest aerodrome in Canada. Considering the type of flying that happens out of YZF i think the companies there are still the best there is. Just look around Canada and see how many Bush/ commuter operators have had fatal accidents.

Brewguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Brewguy »

CAN_Yeager wrote:How safe is air travel in Yellowknife?
Extremely safe! Just like it is everywhere else in the country... Thanks for asking.

Cheers,
Brew
Adiabatic
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Adiabatic »

grimey wrote:3 accidents, in 3 different places, in 3 different aircraft types, in different circumstances, by different operators.

It's completely random. Tragic, but random. There is no problem with northern aviation.
+1

Very tragic for all involved and there is no doubt that the public is scratching their heads.
Condolences to all, fly safe...please.

AB

sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by sky's the limit »

I find this extremely interesting, the responses I mean.

To paraphrase everyone here so far, "Nothing to look here, move along. Everything's fine." Really?

Not looking at these three accidents specifically - as we know very little about each at this time - but looking at VFR operations across the country, and some of the IFR situations, I would argue quite strongly that not only is aviation safety in Canada wanting, it is getting worse in some respects.

We have crash after crash, year after year in the 703 world, helicopters, tankers, AG, West Coast floats, etc, etc, but you all seem to feel there is nothing amiss, just coincidence? Again, I find that perspective particularly interesting given the facts surrounding most operations in our industry, and particularly in certain parts of the country.

Question: Does anyone feel current flight and duty limits are actually contributing to safety? Does anyone think Transport Canada is actively contributing to safety? Does anyone think that SMS systems are actually contributing to safety? Does anyone think that the level of proficiency we train to in either initial flight training, or the PPC is anywhere near high enough? I don't, not at all. All the signs are there, the question is: who's paying attention to them, and why is it that money seems to get in the way, always?

Most of us have lost friends in this industry, either fellow pilots or customers, some of us more than others, so let's leave that out of it for a moment and actually address the OP's intended question (no matter how clumsy) because I for one see a major issue in Canadian aviation and I know others do as well.

stl

Chuck Ellsworth
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Chuck Ellsworth »

Question: Does anyone feel current flight and duty limits are actually contributing to safety?
No.
Does anyone think Transport Canada is actively contributing to safety?

No, in fact they are degrading safety by focusing on paperwork to avoid having to actually do their duty.
Does anyone think that SMS systems are actually contributing to safety?
No, the time wasted on the paper work should be used in actually doing something tangible for safety.
Does anyone think that the level of proficiency we train to in either initial flight training, or the PPC is anywhere near high enough? I don't, not at all. All the signs are there, the question is: who's paying attention to them, and why is it that money seems to get in the way, always?
Because the industry and the regulator are satisfied with the present system.

The most difficult thing about flying is knowing when to say no.

After over a half a century of flying I can not remember even one trip that I refused to do that resulted in someone getting killed because of my decision not to fly.
Clodhopper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Clodhopper »

+1 . and STL, well said.

As for Latitudes?
Changes in Latitudes wrote:So you didn't know any of the pilots in the accidents clod? I can tell you that 3 of which I did know, I wouldn't call their experience, and dedication to professionalism into judgement. Not everyone is in a race to rolley bags and salary cuts up there. If you want to play devil's advocate, do your homework because you got personal in a hurry by making such a wild speculation.
I was not making speculation. I also was not calling their specific experience, dedication, or professionalism into question myself. As I said, I was merely tossing something out there that may be going through the general public's head. It was in response to the question posed by the OP.

Aviation is small, and I know that there are many people (both in aviation and out) affected by the recent spate of tragedies in Canada. My condolences go out to all of them.

a.k.a. "Big Foot"
straightpilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by straightpilot »

I have some family members that wanted to fly up north. I had misgivings before all the recent crashes about what goes on up north, but now, no way.

The crews might be the best in the world, and so is the maintenance, but it's pretty obvious that it's just not working. It's just not worth the risk.

grimey
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by grimey »

STL,

I think a lot of the responses have to do with whether there's a problem in Yellowknife specifically, and I think it's reasonable to say that there isn't. If you ask if there's a problem with aviation in all of Canada which has led to the incidents due to fatigue, inexperience, training, or maintenance, I think that's a different question entirely, and you'd get completely different responses. I don't think that flying on a major airline out of Yellowknife is any more or less dangerous than doing the same out of any other airport in Canada. I don't think that the air taxi operators are any less safe than those in Manitoba or BC, say. Are there problems? Sure, but we shouldn't focus on Yellowknife or the north.

no sig because apparently quoting people in context is offensive to them.
Brewguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Brewguy »

Listen to the radio for a couple of hours each day for a month, during the morning and evening commuting hours. You will hear of countless serious and fatal accidents - stretches of our highway system are shut down each and every day for accidents. Does that make road transportation in Canada overall, or in a particular geographic region of Canada, is "unsafe"?

Stuff happens. People get hurt. It sucks.
And for some strange reason, these things tend to come in series, a few accidents close together.

The original question, was how safe is it. And in general, when you step back and see the big picture, its very safe.

Can safety be improved? Of course. Always. But to what degree do you go, and how much additional safety will you gain? People get hurt every day, in all walks of life.

There aren't roads in many parts of the north. Build a few roads up there, throw some cars & heavy trucks on those roads, and you'll see far more people getting hurt, and more often, than you do with flying.

Cheers,
Brew
Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

I think this could be a really good question posed at a really bad time.

sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by sky's the limit »

grimey wrote:STL,

I don't think that flying on a major airline out of Yellowknife is any more or less dangerous than doing the same out of any other airport in Canada. I don't think that the air taxi operators are any less safe than those in Manitoba or BC, say. Are there problems? Sure, but we shouldn't focus on Yellowknife or the north.
With all due respect Grimes, I couldn't disagree more. There are a number of factors which make the north and the arctic more dangerous, just like Coastal BC - they are unique operational environments. I don't have the time at the moment to go into detail, but suffice it to say northern operations in the mountains or the arctic present a whole slew of difficulties and exposure that do not exist in southern Canada. This is exactly where we should be focusing. From 185's to Jet Ranger's, to 737's, it is different and challenging. That's what brings most of us to these places.

Anyway, I have to run, my Father is visiting and it's time to put him to work.... ;-)

stl

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”