Runway incursion at YYZ

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Runway incursion at YYZ

Post by DanWEC »

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/109 ... arson?bn=1

Sounds like if there was any sort of failure by the plane on takeoff that it could have been disastrous.
---------- ADS -----------

burhead1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Runway incursion at YYZ

Post by burhead1 »

I love the way the news writes articles.

"Air traffic controllers told the pilots to move off the runway at the Delta 4 exit and stay off the runway"
and

"The Air Canada pilot “rotated around taxiway Delta 2 and overflew” the commuter plane in its way" Huh?

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

It mostly makes sense to me. The first line should have been more accurately described as exit at delta 4 and HOLD SHORT of 24R. Since from 24L you have to cross 24R to taxi anywhere.
The plane taking off was on 24R. He lifted off by delta 2... which is the taxiway before delta 4, where the offending plane was stopped.

I'll reiterate, this sounded very, very close. The taxiways are about 1650 feet apart. This means that the airbus lifted off, at full power, just over 1/4 mile ahead of the stopped plane. That's close enough as it is, but again, any sort of failure during takeoff and it may have been an utter catastrophe even if it was just a wing clip. However, I'm not familiar with braking distance of the 319, but doubtful it could stop in time.

FL_CH
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL_CH »

Good sighting by the ATC, considering it was almost midnight.

"Then from 1000 ft AGL until the final capture altitude, the A/C accelerates backwards up along the altitude profile with idle thrust"
TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

FL_CH wrote:Good sighting by the ATC, considering it was almost midnight.
Agreed. Job well done by YYZ ATC.

From a pilot perspective staying ahead of the aircraft applies to taxing as much as it does to flying, and we've all been guilty at some point of mis-interpreting a taxi instruction.

These two runways are very close together and things happen very quickly during the landing and rollout phase. Normally the Captain taxis' the aircraft clear of the runway, while the FO (who in this case likely read back the instruction to hold short of 24R is completing an after landing flow/check-list and isn't focused 100% on where the aircraft is being taxied.

Maybe we need to examine the timing of when hold short clearances are issued? The instruction to hold short of 24R could be issued with the landing clearance?

eg "...cleared to land 24L, after landing hold short 24R"

Who knows maybe that would cause more issues? However being given taxi instructions while still on the rollout places an additional burden on an already heavily tasked flight crew.

Not familiar with American Eagle's SOP's but including the planned taxi routing and runway exits available in the briefing should be part of them.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Anytime I land on a parallel runway and have to cross the other one I end the approach brief by saying "We will hold short of 24R", because I'm not very smart and I have to tell myself what to do so I don't forget. It works.

We don't cross any runway unless we are specifically cleared to do so, and ATC is required to specifically clear us to do so. Toronto is very good at that.

Married a Canadian
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Married a Canadian »

Good sighting by the ATC, considering it was almost midnight.
Error in the newspaper report...surprise surprise. It wasn't almost midnight when this event occured. I was on night shifts this week on the day in question..and was told the incident had happened well before my shift even started (1030pm).
Specifics are in short supply about the event in question but it sounded serious.

Married a Canadian
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Married a Canadian »

But I will second good job YYZ ATC.

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

The story says the AA plane crossed crossed the stop bars. You never cross lighted stop bars even if cleared to by ATC.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”