Plane missing in Antarctica

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Plane missing in Antarctica

Post by ahramin »

Never turn off your ELT in an emergency. This crew certainly would not have done so. That the ELT operated for 24 hours means that it survived the crash, stayed connected to its antenna, and was not consumed by fire. All good signs.

There is a reporter Bob Weber on here looking for info about Bob Heath. Weber seems slightly familiar with aviation and previous articles aren't too sensationalized but as always when dealing with the media, remember who you're talking to and realize they are probably going to get it wrong. Watch what you say.
---------- ADS -----------

bornagain1340
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bornagain1340 »

To the crew on the ground and everyone involved in the search: Keep your heads and stay positive. I'm personally picturing the -6 crew inviting their "rescuers" in for a hot cup of tea when they get there...get home safe gentlemen.

Ramjet555
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Ramjet555 »

Like many others who have flown with Bob Heath, our thoughts and prayers are with him
his wife Lucy, and the other unnamed crew members.

Here is what I make of it.
The information revealed is limited but enough.
First the accident is located at around 83 degrees, which probably means from 82.5 to 83.5
We know the ELT signal is coming "northern end of the Queen Alexandra Range"

"The aircraft was repositioning from the South Pole Station to Terra Nova Bay, Antarctica"

and as of a few hours ago, the signal was no longer being received.

It appears that he was flying through a mountain pass rather than over it
and not much flying time from their destination.

Perhaps someone could check to see if there were any GPS outages at that time?
Did the GPS database contain all the antarctic geographic information?

It reminds of the Air New Zealand GPS waypoint error
as the accident site corresponds to the highest peak.
I'll let someone else use their google earth to look at that.

I'm unable to look at the direct track but it appears to go right thru a mountain pass.

Ramjet

BTyyj
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BTyyj »

New Zealand SAR as of 2000z: http://www.maritimenz.govt.nz/news/medi ... 30125a.asp

Seems like the Twin Otter dispatched out of McMurdo Base this morning was still not able to get visual contact due to cloud cover and winds. 12-hour forecast indicating much of the same, however, 24-hour forecast is indicated that the weather should be clearing up significantly, allowing rescue to take place.

All the best to those involved.

bizjets101
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by bizjets101 »

Jan 24 15:00 est Press Release # 4

Bad weather continues to prevent visual contact being made with an aircraft missing on a flight in Antarctica from the South Pole to Terra Nova Bay.

The Rescue Coordination Centre New Zealand (RCCNZ) is coordinating the search, working with United States, Canadian and Italian authorities, after the Twin Otter aircraft’s emergency locator transmitter was activated at around 10pm on Wednesday, 23 January. (NZ time).

Another Twin Otter aircraft from McMurdo Base flew to over the site of the beacon activation this morning but heavy cloud and strong winds prevented any visual contact.

The location is at a height of 3,900m (13,000 feet) at the Northern end of the Queen Alexandra Range, within New Zealand’s Search and Rescue Region – halfway between the South Pole and McMurdo Station (approximately 680km (370 nautical miles) in each direction).

RCCNZ Search and Rescue Mission Coordinator Kevin Banaghan said the beacon stopped transmitting overnight but this was not unexpected given the battery life and the cold conditions. The location has been well identified.

“Weather conditions remain very challenging and are forecast to continue for the next 12 hours. However, over the next 24 hours winds in the area are forecast to drop from 90 knots (170km/hr) to 20 knots (35km/hr), with cloud forecast to lift and become scattered.

“When conditions ease, the intention is to set up a forward base at a location approximately 50km from the beacon site, from which to launch operations to the site.”

Weather conditions have not yet allowed helicopters to fly to the area, but two helicopters, including a Southern Lakes (New Zealand) helicopter on contract to Antarctica New Zealand at Scott Base, remain on standby should weather conditions change.

Ramjet555
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Ramjet555 »

I just got off the phone from talking with Bob's wife Lucy.

Lucy told me I was the first and only pilot who flew with Bob
to give her a phone call.

She very obviously appreciated the call and remembered me.
Lucy does read Bob's log book and asks him about the pilots
he flew with.

Lucy is also receiving lots of unwelcome calls from the press.

If you did NOT fly Bob, or are a member of the press, kindly refrain from calling her
and check the web site of Ken Borek.

If you are a pilot who flew with Bob
I'm sure you will know how to make the call
and that she would appreciate the call.

If you did NOT fly with Bob, your call will not get through.

Ramjet

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

I think what the press should be concentrating on is the fact that this is a highly experienced well equipped crew in a very difficult place.

Unless the person you are speaking with is actually in Antartica they won't be able to offer anything more valuable to report in addition to that.

My thoughts and prayers are also with the crew and all those involved in the SAR.

Ramjet555
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Ramjet555 »

re Bob Weaver of Canadian Press

It looks like he has spoken with a number of people who flew with Bob.

To give him some credit, the article he wrote is factual, and extremely well written.
TBPress (ThunderBay) (and its possible that he has met Bob Heath...)

http://www.tbnewswatch.com/news/nationa ... by-weather

When the press often screw up stories this article impresses as very carefully researched.
It sets a high standard that other journalists could follow in reporting Aviation stories.

That's my take on it.

Ramjet.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Excellent article. By the way Ram the author is Bob Weber. That's why reporting is tough, you need to get it done as soon as possible.
The general public needs a little more time to sort out the right things to say. I type too much instead of talking, sometimes I need twenty minutes to cough up a simple sentence.

boeingoingone
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by boeingoingone »

I heard these rumours also about the flight tracker from some kba folk....hoping they were a mistake. Good luck Bob...hang in there and here's hoping your holed up in a tent right now..... and for you media maggots leave his wife alone.

Former hog driver.

From the globe:

Mr. Penikett said a former dispatcher for the company, who is now based in Kabul, watched his computer helplessly as the aircraft was detected flying at 13,000 feet, dropped to 8,800 feet and then climbed back up to 13,000 feet at 140 knots before suddenly recording “zero air speed.” All of this happened “within minutes,” he added.

“It’s my candid opinion that this aircraft flew into the rocks,” Mr. Penikett said. “Anything’s possible and again I hope for the best. But I’ve been through quite a few of these and it doesn’t look very good to me.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/nat ... le7681672/

CID
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CID »

Rule of thumb is that if the ELT survives and is transmitting, the "crash" or forced landing was survivable. Generally when an airplane has a violent crash like hitting a cliff, (as the Globe article suggests) the ELT tends to be unable to operate.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Seems an odd thing to say. If the Skytrac is transmitting every 2 or 3 mins (as Bob has said in the past on this forum) then it is obviously going to go from 140 knots to 0 even if you do a textbook landing.

avcanada
Rank Admin
Rank Admin

Post by avcanada »

Email updates can be requested by visiting http://maritimenz.govt.nz/News/RSS-feed ... ptions.asp .

Update #5 is now out

25 January 2013, 12.00pm

The weather conditions in Antarctica remain unchanged.

No further flights will take place until conditions improve.

A further update will be issued at approximately 4pm (NZ time), unless there are significant developments before that time.

For further information contact:
Maritime New Zealand Media Line
Phone 04 499 7318

TopperHarley
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TopperHarley »

I remember when I was just starting out in aviation how Bob reached out to mentor me and give me lots of great advice. Hoping for the best for him and all the others affected.

bizjets101
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by bizjets101 »

Ramjet555 I sent you an email.

rob

plhought
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by plhought »

Kind of disappointing to see Penikett speaking to the media about this.

Hoping for the best.

Ramjet555
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Ramjet555 »

bizjets101
I did not receive your pm or email.

try Ramjet555 at G m ail . c com

swordfish
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by swordfish »

If my track is correct on Google Earth, that site over the Queen Alexandra Mountains is just 25 nm away from "water" or a glacier on the right side of the track where the altitude is 3300' at the nearest point, going down to sea level. Also, the highest terrain in a 12-mile radius seems to be about 12,000 ft. They should have been clear at 13,000 depending on cold-weather corrections.

Changes in Latitudes
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Changes in Latitudes »

TopperHarley wrote:I remember when I was just starting out in aviation how Bob reached out to mentor me and give me lots of great advice. Hoping for the best for him and all the others affected.
Ditto on that TH and 10 years later he seemed to treat me the exact same way. It always amazed me that a guy like that would even give me the time of day.

Respectful, enthusiastic and extremely proficient at what he does. Very few people in this business carry the reverence that Bob does. I'm hitting the re-fresh button here and on the SAR website a lot, but I can't wait to hear him explain this situation to us in detail.

Tuk U
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Tuk U »

While we all are hopeful of a happily ever after conclusion.... I don't think Bob himself would argue with the logic Mr. Penniket has opined, someone needed to say it, many are thinking the same thing I'm sure. I know Steve and I'm this is not a malicious, without a doubt he is hopeful of a happy ending.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”