C205 flips over, is this really possible.

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

C205 flips over, is this really possible.

Post by pelmet »

"It was reported by the Anahim Lake airport manager and an eye witness that a privately registed Cessna-205 C-GHDG was being run-up on the apron by an engineer after maintenance and the aircraft flipped over nose first. The eyewitness reported the aircraft had a 5 knot tailwind and was just powering up (about 1/2 throttle) when a whirlwind gust caught under the tail. There was only the engineer on board. There were no injuries. The aircraft was substantially damaged. The ELT did not activate."

Is this really possible under these wind conditions or could there be more to the story. I wouldn't have expected this result.
---------- ADS -----------

gwengler
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: C205 flips over, is this really possible.

Post by gwengler »

I saw it with my own eyes in September 1996. A C182A C-FZNZ was thrown on its back in a split second by a dust devil that approached the airplane from the rear. Happened at Corman Airpark CJN5 just south of Saskatoon. It looked like the dust devil had a mind of its own and actively went after the aircraft. The aircraft was taxiing slowly at the time. The pilot had absolutely no chance.
Gerd

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

I heard that story (regarding HDG) a few days ago, but assumed it had happened in Whitehorse, and then couldn't confirm it.

Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

gwengler wrote:I saw it with my own eyes in September 1996. A C182A C-FZNZ was thrown on its back in a split second by a dust devil that approached the airplane from the rear. Happened at Corman Airpark CJN5 just south of Saskatoon. It looked like the dust devil had a mind of its own and actively went after the aircraft. The aircraft was taxiing slowly at the time. The pilot had absolutely no chance.
Gerd
Seen this happen once at CFX2, little dust devil just went ripping across the ramp on what was otherwise a calm day. In two groups of parked aircraft, singled out one in each group, tore them loose of their tie downs. One it picked up in the air and dropped it heavily enough back down to set off its ELT. There was at least 2 feet of daylight under each of the Cherokee's wheels. The other it spun completely around, did some damage to its control surfaces, oddly didn't tip it on its wing, but all three tires showed the abuse. Both airplanes were secured into the anchors in the pavement by tie down straps, it yank them loose it straightened out the metal hooks. Amazingly, other aircraft parked near by weren't touched. There was even a line where you could see the tall grass was tore up where the dust devil travelled.

It was pandelerium!

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Dust devils are dangerous and to be avoided, especially by small aircraft. But what about...…

Snow devils.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/weather/topst ... spartandhp

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

I wonder if the elevator was up or down?

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”