May 21/13 fatal float plane nr Campbell River BC

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

bizjets101
Rank 10
Rank 10

May 21/13 fatal float plane nr Campbell River BC

Post by bizjets101 »

One person is dead following a float-plane crash off Vancouver Island.

Coroner Barb McLintock said the crash took place earlier Tuesday near Campbell River, B.C. which is located on Vancouver Island's east coast and is 257 kilometres north of Victoria.

"It had only one person aboard," said Coroner Barb McLintock of the plane.

"That person was confirmed deceased after the crash. We got some invaluable assistance from the RCMP under water recovery team and my understanding is the recovery has now been completed."

McLintock said the investigation into the crash can now begin.

No information has yet been released on the plane, the victim's age, gender or hometown.

But a spokesman for the Joint Rescue Co-ordination Centre in Victoria said the crash took place off the west side of Stuart Island, which is located in the Strait of Georgia, northeast of Campbell River, B.C.

He said nobody reported hearing or seeing the crash, and the plane was found upside down by someone who came across the scene.

Rescue crews from the Canadian Armed Forces and Canadian Coast Guard also attended the scene, he added.

Read more: http://bc.ctvnews.ca/one-dead-in-seapla ... z2TzSdR77X
---------- ADS -----------

AJV
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: May 21/13 fatal float plane nr Campbell River BC

Post by AJV »

:( condolences to all affected. flew up and down that inlet many many times...

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Ugh. Was just up that way the other day. Anyone know whose machine? So sad :(

flyinthebug
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flyinthebug »

My condolences to the pilot`s friends and family. Like was said above, ive flown up and down Bute Inlet 100s of times. The weather can change in 10 mins in that part of the world. You could fly up Bute and it was SKC... drop off pax at the head and by the time you were heading back out, its down to 300' and 1 SM. Inflows and outflows can change so fast and the weather with it.

I always refer to my 3 years on the coast as time I survived. Even on SKC days, coastal flying can be the most challenging you`ll ever face.

Very sad.

Fly safe all.

CamAero
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by CamAero »

I have heard that the aircraft is C-GBHJ.

http://www.dhc-2.com/id263.htm

Condolences to all affected.

C.A.

beaverbob
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by beaverbob »

flyinthebug wrote:My condolences to the pilot`s friends and family. Like was said above, ive flown up and down Bute Inlet 100s of times. The weather can change in 10 mins in that part of the world. You could fly up Bute and it was SKC... drop off pax at the head and by the time you were heading back out, its down to 300' and 1 SM. Inflows and outflows can change so fast and the weather with it.

I always refer to my 3 years on the coast as time I survived. Even on SKC days, coastal flying can be the most challenging you`ll ever face.

Very sad.

Fly safe all.
Surely, It can't be that bad?

tx'd
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tx'd »

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Was it an Amphib Beaver?

flyinthebug
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flyinthebug »

beaverbob wrote:
flyinthebug wrote:My condolences to the pilot`s friends and family. Like was said above, ive flown up and down Bute Inlet 100s of times. The weather can change in 10 mins in that part of the world. You could fly up Bute and it was SKC... drop off pax at the head and by the time you were heading back out, its down to 300' and 1 SM. Inflows and outflows can change so fast and the weather with it.

Very sad.

Fly safe all.
Surely, It can't be that bad?
A good friend of mine who spent 23 years as a TC inspector and is currently in a senior management role with a mid-sized carrier...advised me against going out west when I went in 97. He said he flew for a year on the coast and considered it "surviving" a year out there. He absolutely hated it. Thats why I referred to it that way (using his words..maybe a little too dramatic...sorry bout that).

There are some guys on here with 10`s of thousands of hours on the coast and they love it. Some of us never really adjusted to quick changing weather, ocean currents, mountain waves, 1/2 mile vis and operators that wanted you to go when you couldnt see Gabriola from Nanaimo harbour (fog). CP`s that pushed too hard and "ordered" us to break regs and get the passengers across the strait.

It was more a figure of speech than absolute fact. There were many GOOD days flying on the coast, but the bad days are the extreme of bad. I couldnt have seen myself staying out there and making it my career.

What I said about the weather changing in 10 mins in Bute, Knights, Toba Inlets etc etc...is spot on true though!
It can be a handful on a marginal day.

Fly safe all.

SeptRepair
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by SeptRepair »

Yes it was .. If your thinking what I have heard second hand, then yes, another preventable accident.

Siddley Hawker
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Siddley Hawker »

From Neil Aird's site:
• Overturned on landing Bute Inlet, BC • 21-May-2013 • 1K •
Awaiting salvage.

crazy_aviator
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by crazy_aviator »

WHY arent the gear warning systems working well enough ? Perhaps a water sensor ( like a radar alt) to tell the pilot to PULL-UP PULL-UP, volume non-adjustable, if his gear is down on a water approach ?

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

SeptRepair, when I read about a floatplane being found upside down in the water the first thing I ask was if it was an amphib. beacuse so many are flipped over landing with the wheels down.
WHY arent the gear warning systems working well enough ? Perhaps a water sensor ( like a radar alt) to tell the pilot to PULL-UP PULL-UP, volume non-adjustable, if his gear is down on a water approach ?
crazy_aviator the best warning system to determine where the gear is on any airplane is never ever landing until you have 100% determined where the gear is for the surface you are about to land on.

I have used this gear check for many decades flying amphibious airplanes.

Where am I landing?

Where is my landing gear?

I never landed with the gear selected wrong......but I did avoid it twice and had to go around and make the correct selection.

That method is far more reliable than some mechanical / electrical auto warning.

crazy_aviator
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by crazy_aviator »

AGREED, CAT, however, Aviation is full of redundancies and im talking about the redundancy of gear warning systems AFTER the pilot fails, just like the second engine after the first engine fails. Engines and humans are prone to failure :wink:

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

So tell me why even with gear warning systems in amphibious aircraft pilots still land them with the gear in the wrong position?

beaverbob
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by beaverbob »

Harold was a good friend of mine. You are right Cat and SeptRepair.. :cry:

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

What really makes these accidents so hard to deal with is these people were only guilty of forgetting to check their gear position.

For that lapse of attention they pay the ultimate price, and it never seems to get any better because these same preventable accidents keep happening over and over.

Every pilot who flys an amphibious airplane should approach flying them with the fear factor front and center because if you become complacent they will kill you.

Another very sad ending to a life.

sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by sky's the limit »

beaverbob wrote:Harold was a good friend of mine. You are right Cat and SeptRepair.. :cry:

Sincerest condolences Bob, I'm sorry.

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

Cat Driver wrote:
I have used this gear check for many decades flying amphibious airplanes.

Where am I landing?

Where is my landing gear?

., I read this on one of your posts back about 2 1/2 years ago just prior to flying an amphib beaver. I used exactly that with every single landing in that airplane. Gear down landing on the water was definitely my biggest fear in that bird even if the gremlins that lurked inside it came out of hiding. My condolences to the friends and family!

flyinthebug
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flyinthebug »

sky's the limit wrote:
beaverbob wrote:Harold was a good friend of mine. You are right Cat and SeptRepair.. :cry:

Sincerest condolences Bob, I'm sorry.
+1 sorry for your loss beaverbob.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”