Ornge Sikorsky Air ambulance accident Northern Ontario

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

single_swine_herder
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Ornge Sikorsky Air ambulance accident Northern Ontario

Post by single_swine_herder »

Didn't say they crashed because they were in a union, nor did I even go within a hundred miles of inferring it .... only that accomplishing change in a union organization can be fraught with pitfalls and undue delays in introducing change due to competing priorities, and while I don't have 30 years of union membership, I do have enough time in to know how they work both for positive and negative outcomes.

They do have an obligation under "duty of fair representation" to vigorously defend anyone and everyone who pays union dues .... inept or excellent, and in many cases I've observed in grievances or arbitrations, the concepts of merit, competence, or proficiency may as well be speaking of religious extremism.

Some unions look at themselves as professional associations, and more power to them for not wishing to be identified with the act of defending an incompetent. Large unions without professional expertise in anything beyond the CBA are a different kettle of fish.
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by single_swine_herder on Sat May 31, 2014 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Driving Rain
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Driving Rain »

Whatever... :?

nothingbeatsflying
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by nothingbeatsflying »

Didn't this crash happen in 2013? Anyone finding it strange that there isn't a report out yet?

armchair
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by armchair »

Word is that IIC Daryl Collins is extremely dedicated to find every little detail to nail TC Ontario Region for its deficient oversight of ORNGE, as well as finger pointing ORNGE management for mismanaging the operation which resulted in the crash. The irony for Collins is that as a TSB IIC, he does not have any enforcement or blame mandate, but my guess is that he is willing to go as far as he can to point the finger and expose flaws in a TSB kind of way. Assuming the draft report has been in the hands of interested parties for a while and comments received and addressed, I expect the TSB to announce a press conference soon, no later than April 2016, where Dame Kathy Fox will sit at the head table with Daryl on the left and Mark Clitsome on the right and explain how TC Ontario Region was deficient in monitoring ORNGE, and how ORNGE was deficient in managing its crews. I bet there will not be one iota of blame on the two pilots or the older S76 aircraft itself. Lots on human factors though. Expect a number of TSB recommendations adressed to TC related to medevac ops, at night and black hole in particular, as well as SMS, TC oversight, CRM, FDM, pilot training and records etc. Then, well, not much will be done as ORNGE has likely addressed everything in the past 2 years.

rotorjay
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by rotorjay »

Then, well, not much will be done as ORNGE has likely addressed everything in the past 2 years.

That's the sad part, Ornge has not addressed everything in the last 2 years and has continued to utilize Green On Green on a number of occasions along with a phase 3 helicopter.
The holes in the Swiss cheese have lined up a number of times.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

rotorjay wrote:Then, well, not much will be done as ORNGE has likely addressed everything in the past 2 years.

That's the sad part, Ornge has not addressed everything in the last 2 years and has continued to utilize Green On Green on a number of occasions along with a phase 3 helicopter.
The holes in the Swiss cheese have lined up a number of times.
What is a phase 3 helicopter?

Where is your information from? Do you work there?

Do you understand that the pilot in command of any aircraft has the right to refuse to fly.

Personally, I think they are being proactive, open and transparent with their system albeit overmanaged.

rotorjay
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by rotorjay »

(Do you understand that the pilot in command of any aircraft has the right to refuse to fly.)

I appologize I was most generous when I said a phase 3, I meant a phase 2!!
No I don't work there, but me thinks you do? If so you better educate yourself on flight control systems.
I find your statement above referring to the pilot in command indicates your lack of knowledge in this terrible accident.
Please someone else take on this trol!

Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

I just did a Google search for the term "phase 3 helicopter" and "phase 3 flight controls". Also tried the word 'three', and repeated for the downgraded "phase 2" you mention...

I got nothing. Except to say that I don't think Heliian is a 'troll'.

8 posts?

rotorjay
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by rotorjay »

Please get a Sikorsky S-76 Flt Manual bud.
Actually don't bother!

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

Don't fly fling wings so can somebody dumb down a three phase helicopter and a two phase helicopter and let Mme know if there is such a thing as a 4 phase helicopter. Should ORNGE continue to fly in three phases or should they add the fourth phase. Do they only need two phases.

RockLobstar1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by RockLobstar1 »

I'd like to know what a phase 3 or 2 helicopter is also. Could you please explain? Maybe it's a military term? I've been flying helicopters for 10 years and have never heard that term. Although I've stayed only in the VFR world (phase 1 maybe? I dunno).
Also I worked with Heliian at a helicopter company years ago and although he's not the best looking guy I wouldn't call him a troll. :P

nothingbeatsflying
Rank 1
Rank 1

Did some searching (I've never heard of phase 2 either). Controller.com shows this Sikorsky S-76's AFCS as being "Phase II". Is that what you are referring to helijay? What's the difference between phase 3 and 2? Was the Mossonee accident on a phase 2 S-76?

http://www.controller.com/listings/airc ... rsky-s-76a

nothingbeatsflying
Rank 1
Rank 1

Hmmm...Ornge is actually getting night vision goggles.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2016 ... ggles.html

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

I think it has to do with the level of automation: 1 being FD only to 4 being 4 axis, coupled autopilot

Going for the deck at corner
rotorjay
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by rotorjay »

Yes I was referring to automation AFCS etc. Flight Director or lack of.
The S-76A involved in the Moosonee crash was not capable of coupling to a Flight Director being a Phase 11.
It was hands on only.
No verticle/no heading no altitude pre select.
There are some of us who feel if the boys had have had this capability and used it correctly perhaps we wouldn't be here.
What really bothers me is as much as we heard a lot of statements immediately after the crash from Ornge ,going on 3 years later they are still providing the guys with a Phase 11 in Moosonee??
The point is yes, we should be able to fly on instruments with no automation but why not make things alot safer and give the guys automation on both aircraft in YMO.

nothingbeatsflying
Rank 1
Rank 1

going on 3 years later they are still providing the guys with a Phase 11 in Moosonee
:shock:

If what helijay says is all true I think I'm starting to understand why we don't have a report to read yet. It wouldn't be hard to figure that TC would be very excited about this report coming out. So maybe the TSB is getting a lot of push back from Ornge AND Transport?

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

AuxBatOn wrote:I think it has to do with the level of automation: 1 being FD only to 4 being 4 axis, coupled autopilot
Once again I don't fly fling wings. What is the fourth axis? Pitch yaw roll and???

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

Power or collective in a helo.

Going for the deck at corner
nothingbeatsflying
Rank 1
Rank 1

That probe, with no sign of a report, is now the longest-running aviation accident investigation in Canada.
Seems other investigations are wanting access to the CVR.

http://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/ ... rding.html

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

rotorjay wrote:Yes I was referring to automation AFCS etc. Flight Director or lack of.
The S-76A involved in the Moosonee crash was not capable of coupling to a Flight Director being a Phase 11.
It was hands on only.
No verticle/no heading no altitude pre select.
There are some of us who feel if the boys had have had this capability and used it correctly perhaps we wouldn't be here.
What really bothers me is as much as we heard a lot of statements immediately after the crash from Ornge ,going on 3 years later they are still providing the guys with a Phase 11 in Moosonee??
The point is yes, we should be able to fly on instruments with no automation but why not make things alot safer and give the guys automation on both aircraft in YMO.
This is a very valid point that has cropped up in several recent accident discussions, including the 737 accident in Resolute Bay a few years ago. I think the discussions are usually pretty open-ended, because you have the group who believe that the crew should have been able to accomplish their goals with the equipment available, and the fact that they didn't points to a more systemic problem with CRM/training/experience/competence/S.O.P.s, and another group who feel strongly that it's more important to point out that more modern equipment would have saved the day had it been installed. What I can't help wondering, and wanting to discuss, is this:

IF the automation becomes available and is installed in all aircraft, does that constitute an acceptable "repair" for the problems that caused the accident in the first place?

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”