Nanchang CJ-6A gear-up landing at Oliver Airport BC [video]

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

beaverbob
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Nanchang CJ-6A gear-up landing at Oliver Airport BC [vid

Post by beaverbob »

Funny how after my last reference to the end of the video, weather it was stopped or running before touchdown is still being discussed here.

Take a look at the last ten seconds of the video. Notice the pretzel shaped prop tips.

Bob
---------- ADS -----------

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Total speculation on my part, and I nothing of the type....
- The runway is 3200 feet, he touched down with about 1300 left to go at what appears to me to be higher than normal landing speed (with full flaps it stalls at 59 Kts). Why not do a go round and try again?
I have noticed that pilots who are planning an emergency landing, even power on, can get into a mindset, which is hard to shed on short final. They approach too fast, so as to overcompensate for landing short. If all nervous and fussed, with the prospect of a scratched plane, I expect some things like radio calls, and open canopies get overlooked.

Simply from gawking voyeurism, I'll be interested when the rest of the story emerges. It will either turn out to be a relatively well executed emergency landing, or a badly botched normal one. I have no opinion which yet. I suppose, with more information presented, I might be told here, what my opinion should be!

crazy_aviator
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by crazy_aviator »

Oliver is a downsloping RWY with higher terrain on approach, with a narrow runway and bit of drop off at the end,,there is an ILLUSION of a short runway, adding the HIGH and hotter approach, A gathering that day and lack of gear warning ? and BANG,,, Ya gots a gear UP!!!

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

But, PilotDAR....they do NOT tend to overlook things like TELLING SOMEBODY they have an emergency??? Or calling out equipment?? OR preforming an emergency landing at a suitable airport?
Still can't call a "spade" a "spade" can we? I can.

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

crazy_aviator wrote: A gathering that day and lack of gear warning ? and BANG,,, Ya gots a gear UP!!!
More like a lack of paying attention to what you are doing, and "BANG.....Ya gots a gear up!!!!!"
Now (mods) I'm NOT calling anybody any names, or being impolite, but REALLY people, why the excuses? It's on a video! Nice smooth approach. Nice level wings. Perhaps a wee bit hot, but we've all been THERE, or we are all liars. Full flaps. Nice gentle flare. Beautiful gentle touch down.....Oh Yes! NO GEAR!

But, that's okay with you guys? You (some of you....too many of you) still cling to the "well maybe he meant to do it" or "Gee, so much was going on....Big gathering.....so many people.....so many distractions......it wasn't his fault..." He's on video. He pooched it! Learn from this. Don't make excuses. Be careful. Be professional. Don't preach it....do it!

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

I'm not saying that the pilot did not mess up, I'm saying that I don't know. I will speculate for fun and discussion, but I make no accusations - yet.

Oh yeah, forgetting the gear is possible, and I could go on and on about elements of how that could have happened in this situation, but I lack facts!

If we get an authoritative report here that they jacked the plane, and the gear worked perfectly, then I'm right there with you Doc, but I'm not there yet, and I'm in no hurry....

In general, a pilot who forgets the gear, without some really persuasive contributing factor is a goof - it's indefensible! Believe me, professional pride and scraped paint aside, my highest motivation for triple checking landing gear position, and saying the words aloud to my startled passengers (well, my 9 year old is used to it) is not to incur Doc's valid wrath, 'cause I screwed up and slid it on, or splashed it over!

CFR
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CFR »

Doc wrote:But, PilotDAR....they do NOT tend to overlook things like TELLING SOMEBODY they have an emergency??? Or calling out equipment?? OR preforming an emergency landing at a suitable airport?
Still can't call a "spade" a "spade" can we? I can.
Doc

I'm in your ballpark, but still not ready to call the play. As long as there are reasonable (re: Occam's Razor) alternate explanations and failing to have a definitive report, the best I can do is likely ... but so what? What does calling it forgotten gear, change? The video and outcome are still the same and there are only 2 possible explanations, intentional or accidental. If its intentional, then I still can learn a few things (fast, canopy, maybe decide to go around, make sure intentions are well communicated) If it's an oversight I can still learn a few things (memorize memorize memorize GUMPS). Taking that approach means it doesn't matter to what the cause was, the learning points remain.

SeptRepair
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by SeptRepair »

beaverbob wrote:Funny how after my last reference to the end of the video, weather it was stopped or running before touchdown is still being discussed here.

Take a look at the last ten seconds of the video. Notice the pretzel shaped prop tips.

Bob
Here is a pic of the prop.
http://oliverdailynews.com/wp-content/u ... -bump1.jpg

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

SeptRepair wrote:
beaverbob wrote:Funny how after my last reference to the end of the video, weather it was stopped or running before touchdown is still being discussed here.

Bob
Here is a pic of the prop.
http://oliverdailynews.com/wp-content/u ... -bump1.jpg
Ouch ! that is a MT composite prop. They cost over 20 grand.......

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

Kinda silly to smack it on the ground...

crazy_aviator
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by crazy_aviator »

To me it looks like another SIMPLE case of too much money and not enough professionalism ( brains? ) The classical doctor/dentist with the bonanza scenario,,,, :roll:

J31
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by J31 »

I wonder why two guys are walking up to the airplane less than a minute after it comes to a rest with 20 lb fire extinguishers under their arms? Seems like they were ready for some potential fire. :idea:

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Ouch ! that is a MT composite prop
There are other brands which are painted white too, but yes, good chance it's an MT. If so, good luck! The blades being sacrificed tend to save engine internal damage. And, two, if not all of those blades can be repaired. I toured the MT factory, and saw blades worse than those being rebuilt. The higher cost in the beginning can certainly reduce repair cost later when buying an MT prop...

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

I talked tonight to a friend who talked to an eyewitness to this incident. The eyewitness talked to the pilot, and it was totally unplanned and a brain fart on the part of the pilot.

My observation from the video: Engine running (idling) at touchdown, but quit very quickly as the drag on the ground overcame the compression of the engine at idle. Composite prop shortened visibly on all three blades definitely suggests power during the first few inches of shortening.

Why is there no CADORS? Maybe because Oliver is uncontrolled, and nobody has reported the incident to TC yet?

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

it was totally unplanned and a brain fart on the part of the pilot
Okay.... taking this as fact.... have at it Doc....

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

PilotDAR wrote:
it was totally unplanned and a brain fart on the part of the pilot
Okay.... taking this as fact.... have at it Doc....
Think I already have.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

PilotDAR wrote:
Ouch ! that is a MT composite prop
There are other brands which are painted white too, but yes, good chance it's an MT. If so, good luck! The blades being sacrificed tend to save engine internal damage. And, two, if not all of those blades can be repaired. I toured the MT factory, and saw blades worse than those being rebuilt. The higher cost in the beginning can certainly reduce repair cost later when buying an MT prop...
Definitely an MT. The green triangles are unmistakable.... representing the pyramid of stacked hundreds you need to buy the suckers. :dollar:

Yes, they are very repairable. Unfortunately, you still need an engine teardown. In my experience, most of the extras on top of the teardown are as a result of pre-existing conditions like internal wear or corrosion, not damage from the strike.

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

I do have an idea that just might reduce the number of these things we see each year. Have the pilot PAY for the damage! Or, at very least, the deductible? I'm dead serious here. The private owners have to.....why should Joe "pro" Pilot get to just "walk away" from this? If it's a crew of two. Guess what....You get to split it! Instead of signing bonds, have the new keeners sign something stating their responsibility when they screw up! Specifically, forgetting the gear. Methinks, if YOU had to pay 30K for "forgetting" the gear, you just might remember it?

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

if YOU had to pay 30K for "forgetting" the gear, you just might remember it?
Oh yeah! The super 182 (which backs up on the runway) has a $25,000 deductible. I can't afford that, so I really triple check the gear for every landing. I momentarily mused about buying an insurance policy for the deductible.

I have only damaged three planes in my career (never a gear up Doc), and I have either paid to fix it (dress and overhaul a prop, and replace a back window, or I put my labour into the repair (C150 fuselage frame). I believe that one must take personal responsibility - Insurance is for accidents, it should not be for carelessness or stupidity....

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Well, to be fair Doc, most do already.

Very few pilots keep their jobs after an incident like that, and most leave a large bond behind.

Maybe bonds are a good thing? :wink:

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”