Ethiopian 7500

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

ReserveTank
Rank 6
Rank 6

Ethiopian 7500

Post by ReserveTank »

---------- ADS -----------

Oscar
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Ethiopian 7500

Post by Oscar »

crazy

i watched it land live on flightradar while listening on liveatc

atc said something about negotiator on the phone

https://twitter.com/search?had_popular=true&q=ET702

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

Anyone else find it odd that 4 hours into a story of an airliner being hijacked to Geneva, it's only being covered by exactly one news source on google news?

Oscar
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Oscar »

reputable news organizations take the time to confirm facts

it just literally landed within minutes ago

geneva airport is currently closed

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

Not too many news organizations that are above using phrases such as "Just in" "Breaking news" "Unconfirmed reports" "Further details pending" "Emerging" "Other networks are reporting" as they try to get a toe in on a story.

They're just starting to pop up now. I guess they were just waiting for the story to be confirmed on AvCanada.. :smt108

Oscar
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Oscar »

cool story

here's a sound clip of someone asking for asylum

Demands heard at 17:00:
http://archive-server.liveatc.net/lsgg/ ... -0400Z.mp3

Engine flameout at 17:40
http://archive-server.liveatc.net/lsgg/ ... -0430Z.mp3

gustind
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by gustind »

FO is the one who hijacked it apparently. He is seeking asylum in Geneva.

Daniel Gustin
Rudy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rudy »

Audio clip of the crew talking to ATC about asylum

https://soundcloud.com/producermatthew/ ... nes-flight

bmc
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by bmc »

I live in Geneva. We have a country place in France and usually drive in on Monday mornings. I dropped my wife off at her office which is close to the airport. As I drove away, I saw an Ethipion B767 on the ramp and figured it was a head of state flight, which is often the case when you see unusual airlines. My wife called me up and told me about the hijacking, so I turned around and went back to the airport, to the service road that borders the taxiway. I was able to pull over and park, roughly 800 feet from the plane. The f/o's window was still open. There were two armoured personnel carriers, stair trucks, firetrucks, etc scattered around the ramp. It was 0845 and the flying had resumed. It looked like they had taken away the passengers. I managed to snap off a couple of pictures with my iPhone. They're taken from the same vantage point as all of the media pictures.

Two friends of mine are ATC from Skyguide, the Swiss ATC. Both are also Canadian and work the upper levels. They control airspace into France and along the Italian border. I'll ring them tomorrow and get their side of it.

Big drama in a normally sleepy town.

bmc
Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

So...... Will a hijacking conviction affect his chances for asylum? :lol:

Let’s Go Brandon
azimuthaviation
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by azimuthaviation »

Inverted2 wrote:So...... Will a hijacking conviction affect his chances for asylum? :lol:
Not necessarily.

Iranian Kish Airlines flight 707 was hijacked by a convert to judaism who forced the plane to land in Israel where he sought and received asylum as well as citizenship.

That pales however compared to the exploits of Cuban exile Luis Posada Carriles who blew up a couple Cuban airliners as well as a rash of bombings and other acts across central america targeting Cuban interests. Hundreds killed, all civilians. He currently resides in Miami.

On the other hand.

Leila Khaled who hijacked a few Israeli planes herself was banned from entering Canada but spoke via Skype to an audience at UBC last year.

Mohammed Issa Mahmoud was expelled from Canada recently for participating in an attack on an Israeli airliner 40 years ago after living in Canada for 26 years. The Centre for jewish and Israeli affairs was quick to laud his expulksion that they had been pushing for, calling him a thorn in their side. I guess t was pretty uncomfortable exposing the fact the typical vicious Palestinian terrorist could live a successful life,raise successful kids and contribute to society for nearly three decades without committing any crimes or otherwise inviting the attention of the authorities. Cant let that little cat out of the bag.

Rudy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rudy »

In those cases the asylum giving nations had gripes against the hijackees though. I don't think Switzerland has anything against Ethiopia. The copilot doesn't seem like a total idiot though. Despite what the media reported he made several announcements to the passengers that he was going to shut off the oxygen to the cabin and he deployed the overhead face masks which was a smart way to keep the passengers in their seats and not tearing down the cockpit door. He must have a reason for hijacking the plane instead of just getting on a bus to Geneva after he got to Rome.

YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

azimuthaviation wrote:On the other hand. Leila Khaled who hijacked a few Israeli planes herself was banned from entering Canada but spoke via Skype to an audience at UBC last year. Mohammed Issa Mahmoud was expelled from Canada recently for participating in an attack on an Israeli airliner 40 years ago after living in Canada for 26 years. The Centre for jewish and Israeli affairs was quick to laud his expulksion that they had been pushing for, calling him a thorn in their side. I guess t was pretty uncomfortable exposing the fact the typical vicious Palestinian terrorist could live a successful life,raise successful kids and contribute to society for nearly three decades without committing any crimes or otherwise inviting the attention of the authorities. Cant let that little cat out of the bag.
So the Canadian position, which is that we don't encourage hijackers to visit Canada and won't permit them to live here, is unreasonable?
And folks who pass along information to the authorities about people who contravene those rules, like Mr. Mahmoud, are to be criticized?
That's an interesting perspective. :roll:

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

azimuthaviation wrote: I guess t was pretty uncomfortable exposing the fact the typical vicious Palestinian terrorist could live a successful life,raise successful kids and contribute to society for nearly three decades without committing any crimes or otherwise inviting the attention of the authorities. Cant let that little cat out of the bag.
I guess that excuses the fact that he opened fire on civilians in an airliner with a machine gun, hurled in grenades, killed a civilian, and left the plane “blazing, smoking” and “bullet-riddled.” Nice guy.

letsfly
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by letsfly »

I suppose he is not looking to advance his flying career! Imagine someone hiring him and once again he decides to look for even green pastures, another hijacking!
In my personal opinion hijacking an aircraft falls under international law, regardless where he lands he should placed in prison.

Jack Klumpus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jack Klumpus »

letsfly wrote:I suppose he is not looking to advance his flying career! Imagine someone hiring him and once again he decides to look for even green pastures, another hijacking!.
Imagine all of the Tell us a time when sort of questions.

Tell us a time when you had to solve a problem, how you dealt with it, and what the outcome was.

When I retire, I’ll miss the clowns, not the circus.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”