Malaysia Airlines 777 - Missing

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Oscar
Rank 3
Rank 3

Malaysia Airlines 777 - Missing

Post by Oscar »

http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/malaysia-ai ... -1.1720011
Malaysia Airlines has “lost contact” with a Beijing-bound plane carrying 239 people.
In a statement, the airline said the B77-200 aircraft departed Kuala Lumpur just after midnight (local time) on March 8.
The plane was expected to land in Beijing more than six hours later.
The airline said authorities have activated their search-and-rescue team in an effort to locate the plane.
The airline said 227 passengers and 12 crew members are onboard.
Developing story...

From Facebook:

MEDIA STATEMENT released at 7.24am/8 Mar 2014 MH370 Incident

Sepang, 8 March 2014: Malaysia Airlines confirms that flight MH370 has lost contact with Subang Air Traffic Control at 2.40am, today (8 March 2014).

Flight MH370, operated on the B777-200 aircraft, departed Kuala Lumpur at 12.41am on 8 March 2014. MH370 was expected to land in Beijing at 6.30am the same day. The flight was carrying a total number of 227 passengers (including 2 infants), 12 crew members.

Malaysia Airlines is currently working with the authorities who have activated their Search and Rescue team to locate the aircraft.
---------- ADS -----------

bizjets101
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Malaysia Airlines 777 - Missing

Post by bizjets101 »

Lateralus
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lateralus »

This doesn't sound good. Hoping for the best.

Oscar
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Oscar »

deleted:

now obviously false info

Last edited by Oscar on Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
BTyyj
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BTyyj »

I sincerely hope that's the case. It seems like a very weird situation though. Either way, here's hoping to a good outcome.

I'm glad I'm not judgmental like all you smug, superficial idiots
bizjets101
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by bizjets101 »

Malaysian Airlines has stated that two Canadian Citizens were on board. Aircraft was at FL350 and last radar Updated; last known location midway between Malaysia and Vietnam in open water.

9M-MRO B777-200ER

Last edited by bizjets101 on Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
CitationNation
Rank 1
Rank 1

Malaysia Airlines jet missing, 2 Canadians among 239 on boar

Post by CitationNation »

Two Canadians are among the 227 passengers and 12 crew members on board a Malaysia Airlines jet that has lost contact with air traffic controllers, an airline spokesman said.

The spokesman made the announcement during a brief news conference several hours after the plane disappeared from radar screens. International aviation authorities still haven't located the jetliner.

Earlier, the airline released a statement that read: "Our team is currently calling the next of kin of passengers and crew," adding that the passengers were of 13 different nationalities.

'Our thoughts and prayers are with all affected passengers and crew and their family members'
- Malaysia Airlines statement
The airline released the statement on its website Saturday saying Flight MH370 was en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing. Contact was lost at around 2:40 a.m. local time, Malaysia Airlines said.

China's Xinhua News Agency said the plane lost communication over Vietnam with the control department in the Ho Chi Minh area. It said radar contact also was lost.

The B777-200 aircraft left Kuala Lumpur at 12:41 a.m. local time and was expected to land at 6:30 a.m. in the Chinese capital the same day.

"Malaysia Airlines is currently working with the authorities who have activated their search and rescue team to locate the aircraft," Malaysia Airlines said.

There were two infants listed as passengers on the flight. The airline said it will continue to provide regular updates on the situation.

Contact lost at cruising altitude

Next of kin were being directed to gather at a support facility at Kuala Lumpur International Airport.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with all affected passengers and crew and their family members," the airline said.

Malaysia Airlines

Malaysia Airlines has 15 Boeing 777-200 jets in its fleet of about 100 planes. The state-owned carrier last month reported its fourth straight quarterly loss. The 777 had not had a fatal crash in its 20 year history until the Asiana crash in San Francisco in July 2013.

- The Associated Press

Although it would be hard to determine what conditions were like in the jet stream, CBC meteorologist Johanna Wagstaffe said there was some haze on the ground in Vietnam and a few clouds.

"No major convective or thunderstorm activity at the time," she said.

According to China's CCTV, which cited the Chinese microblogging site Weibo, there were 160 Chinese nationals on the flight.

Chinese state TV also reported there had not been any reports received about any aircraft crashing in Chinese waters.

raven54
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by raven54 »

Some talk of ELT or "signal" off coast of Vietnam.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

CTV just had their aviation "expert" on. He said that the 777 "is a very safe aircraft, so it's definitely not aircraft related". 'Glad he cleared that up!

It's a sad night for people and families - I hope no one suffered....

AJV
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by AJV »

BTyyj
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BTyyj »

The aircraft was B777-200 9M-MRO. It was in a previous incident on August 9 2012, when it's wingtip struck another aircraft.

I'm glad I'm not judgmental like all you smug, superficial idiots
2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

http://www.scmp.com/news/asia/article/1 ... an-missile

That North Korean leader needs a haircut.

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

Shot down or crashed, I can't believe they haven't found debris yet...

ragbagflyer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ragbagflyer »

10 to 15 km long oil slick located.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/malaysia-a ... -1.2564616

"I don't know which is worse, ...that everyone has his price, or that the price is always so low." - Calvin (of Calvin and Hobbes)
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Simply because I do not know, is the 777 not one of the newer generation aircraft, which sends real time telemetry back to "base" so the mechanics can be standing at the gate upon arrival, with the right sized wrench? With real time telemetry, wouldn't some of the information being sent indicate an "event" at the moment it happened? Thus, you'd know about where?

bizjets101
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by bizjets101 »

Press are reporting two persons on board were traveling with stolen passports???

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

PilotDAR wrote:Simply because I do not know, is the 777 not one of the newer generation aircraft, which sends real time telemetry back to "base" so the mechanics can be standing at the gate upon arrival, with the right sized wrench? With real time telemetry, wouldn't some of the information being sent indicate an "event" at the moment it happened? Thus, you'd know about where?
There is ACARS which does send information back to base regarding potential maintenance issues, but it isn't real time.

Real time telemetry relaying all of the parameters a FDR has been explored, but the technology isn't there yet (well it is..... but Deep Space Network and TDRS have neither the bandwidth or the economic feasibility to track every airliner).

Last edited by iflyforpie on Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
pdw
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by pdw »

Looks like someone whose passport was stolen a while back gets a call to their house about the plane missing, perhaps as passenger families were called, which sounds like the original passport owner was not on the plane but rather the passenger using that stolen passport?

Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

PilotDAR wrote:Simply because I do not know, is the 777 not one of the newer generation aircraft, which sends real time telemetry back to "base" so the mechanics can be standing at the gate upon arrival, with the right sized wrench? With real time telemetry, wouldn't some of the information being sent indicate an "event" at the moment it happened? Thus, you'd know about where?
Hi PilotDAR

Airbus has a fleet support system called AIRMAN. Remember initial indications from AF447 were of major 'mechanical anomalies' that AF Mx controllers received via ACARS. As far as I can tell, Boeing has a similar product, but only so far is standard on the 787 fleet. However there are 'aftermarket' tools in use that can provide data also (for example Avionica). Whether Malaysian employed anything like that, I don't know, although it seems doubtful considering how baffled the airline is itself as to what happened. Of course this is different than standard ACARS messaging systems on most large fleets which allow comm with various departments, but they are typically 'snapshots' provided by the crew or pulled from the company.

Best we can hope for is the retrieval of the CVR/FDR's.

Either way, given the timeframe that has elapsed, I think the outcome is obvious unfortunately.

jeta1
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by jeta1 »

Last edited by jeta1 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”