Air Canada Incident DC-9 CF-TME back in the late 70's

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

GWK
Rank 0
Rank 0

Air Canada Incident DC-9 CF-TME back in the late 70's

Post by GWK »

Can't find record 'on-line'-and wanted to confirm the year ('77-79'?) Would anyone have info?
In late 1970's Air Canada DC-9 slides off runway in Sydney Nova Scotia.
Aircraft # 730, CF-TME- Nose gear snapped and main gear damaged on low concrete abutment at runway end. I've misplaced a photo that was dated. Thanks for any help.
---------- ADS -----------

Stubby Phillips
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Air Canada Incident DC-9 CF-TME back in the late 70's

Post by Stubby Phillips »

Did a little poking around. How about April 5, 1977.

GWK
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by GWK »

Thanks, S.P. ! That sounds "spot on" . If my memory serves, they re-winged with a salvaged Continental DC9 wing. I have not been able to find the incident in on-line data. Still digging for my photo (taken by an AC pilot). Any thoughts on why this missed the general online "incident" data? Thanks again!

Stubby Phillips
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Stubby Phillips »

A contact managed to find a report number A77A005 that covers the accident. I searched the TSB website but it doesn't find it. Probably the online stuff doesn't go back that far. If you know someone in one of those orgs they might be able to help you out.

GWK
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by GWK »

Many thanks again, S.P. Much appreciated!

ogc
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ogc »

GWK wrote:Many thanks again, S.P. Much appreciated!
The TSB website says to contact Libraries and Archives Canada for any report earlier than 1990

Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

GWK

Post your question on the AEF.
Several posters flew the DC9 in the 70's and might be familiar with it.

Rwings
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Rwings »

If ever you have more info on that crash please let me know. My wife was one one the flight attendant on that flight. The pilot was Captain Bruce Yake.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

What was the cause of the accident?

pdw
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by pdw »

Early/late evening Apr 5 1977 ?

Light freezing rain starts mid afternoon, CYQY wx-hist (giant LO moved east-of/off Great Lakes).

Strong 80-90deg right crosswind 8-9pm for rwy 6 / 7070ft .. or 20-30deg left crosswind if rwy 18 / 5900' / "300ft-OVC".

Last edited by pdw on Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:03 pm, edited 6 times in total.
GWK
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by GWK »

'Gonna' dig some more, to see if I can find that photo. Pretty rough! Was the back-end crew from YWG? Trivial note: Seems to me I talked with one of the flight attendants about it, shortly after. Straining my brain: Ruth , I think. Can't recall her last name. Cheers.

FADEC
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FADEC »

As I recall, the Official Report said they held while the substantial amount of slush on the runway was sanded.

Word was that the lump of dirt that tore the gear off had also torn the gear off another aircraft several years earlier and was supposed to have been removed.

I got to see the process a couple of times during station stops at YQY. The re winging of the aircraft was fascinating. They brought a team in from McDonnell Douglas in Long Beach.

A "tent" of plastic and two by fours was built out from the Flying Club hangar. There were large heaters, and each day they would heat the space, waiting till the aircraft temperature was warm and stabilised, then go to work.

I can confirm that the aircraft flew straighter after the re-winging than it had before the accident.

Every aircraft is a bit different, even if they are the same type. Flying the DC 9 five or six legs a day, one came to know the individual fins. 730 needed quite a bit of trim to fly straight before the fix; little or no trim after.

The aircraft is now in the museum at Rockcliffe. Look for the big doubler on one wing where damage to the gear structure was repaired; the other wing is the one that was replaced.

Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Antique Pilot »

GWK wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:12 am 'Gonna' dig some more, to see if I can find that photo. Pretty rough! Was the back-end crew from YWG? Trivial note: Seems to me I talked with one of the flight attendants about it, shortly after. Straining my brain: Ruth , I think. Can't recall her last name. Cheers.
GWK: I tried to send you a PM but can’t get it to work. Finger trouble here I suppose.

How about you try and send me a PM.

Thanks,
PM

aircanadason
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by aircanadason »

Hi People
I can't believe I found this site and can share what I remember about AC DC9 flight 730.My name is Stephen MacGillivray and my dad of same name worked for AC back then,first on the ramp then with Cargo.
Im a bit fuzzy but will have more info. later.I know it ran off runway because of hail and most damage was the wing.I say that because I never realized it is just one wing,they had to transport it by truck.
My dad was supervisor of the men that came from McDonald Douglas and yes they tarped over the flying club building to encase it.He was basically in charge of whatever they needed,from wood to plane parts etc.He formed many strong bonds with these guys and a year later he took me and my sister to Anaheim and stayed with John?Im almost sure the crash was in 1975 because I have a picture of us in California in 1976.
I also have 8mm film turned vhf turned dvd of the day it took off after it was completed.The mechanics signed the DC9s old gas tank cover and gave it to my dad.I have it to this day.Sadly my dad passed in 2006 and could give you way more detail than I can.I will never forget that year and thought nobody but me remembered it.My dad did say 730 came back to yqy a few times after and i will always be grateful that my father worked for AC and my family got to see alot of the world.
Favorite place we travelled to was Barbados for two weeks in Feb. almost yearly.Hope this was interesting.

Poppy05
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Poppy05 »

Hi There
My dad worked for AC in YQY when flight 730 crashed. He worked in cargo at the time and was assigned supervisor for the 30 or so mechanics that came from McDonnel Douglas to repair it. Lasting friendships and my father took my sister and I to California after 730 was fixed. The year it crashed was 1975 because we were in California in 1976. It came in to YQY a few times after the accident but I am positive the year was 1975

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”