Jazz Q400 Right main landing gear collapse YEG

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

magic wand
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Jazz Q400 Right main landing gear collapse YEG

Post by magic wand »

Was there variable tailwinds on final? Must have been a fair amount of drag to pull him/her into the ditch.
---------- ADS -----------

RatherBeFlying
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RatherBeFlying »

The pics show that drag from the gear took them off the runway. Once in the grass a gear leg with no tire will likely dig in and collapse.

There is the odd checklist out there with recommendations to move pax seated opposite the props.

Commonwealth
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Commonwealth »

I recall that after the SAS accidents, Bombardier issued some guidance about landing with one gear leg not extended. It was not an AD and it made reference to the issue of passengers sitting in the rows adjacent to the propellers. From the news reports and the cell phone video of the landing, I deduce that the gear collapse was a surprise to everyone.

I can see some heavy duty protective panels being installed on the fuselage in order to prevent the blades from penetrating the aircraft skin.

Jack Klumpus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jack Klumpus »

It's been a few years since I left the Q. I think seat 7 was the worst. Either from the blade or if the NVS system wasn't working (noise killer).

When I retire, I’ll miss the clowns, not the circus.
GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

The photo resolution isn't quite good enough to be sure, but it looks to me like that RH nacelle and wing tip were both dragging before the aircraft left the pavement.

Happened to find this video of one of the SAS gear collapses (the one Commonwealth mentions above?) while browsing for info on the current one.

Last edited by GyvAir on Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lost in Saigon
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Lost in Saigon »

GyvAir wrote:The photo resolution isn't quite good enough to be sure, but it looks to me like that RH nacelle and wing tip were both dragging before the aircraft left the pavement.
Yes, it does look like the gear collapsed before it left the runway.

justwork
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by justwork »

All of that damage from a blown tire.... Wow.

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

Are composite blades more likely to break off and go ballistic (rather then bend and stay in one piece) when they hit the pavement than metal ones ?

Last edited by Gilles Hudicourt on Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brantford Beech Boy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Brantford Beech Boy »

Yep. They don't bend, they shatter.

BBB

"Almost anywhere, almost anytime...worldwide(ish)"
ikarus
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ikarus »

apparently all but one of the injured and hospitalized pax were released home. Hopefully the poor guy seating next to that window gets well soon!

Could've been a lot worse :shock:

KK7
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KK7 »

Story of the passenger sitting by the prop below. Apparently it just hit her in the head and knocked her glasses off, and made her dazed. In my opinion it'd be a good time for her to go get a lottery ticket.

Christina Kurylo was struck in the head by a propeller blade that knifed through the body of the Jazz Aviation plane when it was forced to land at the Edmonton International Airport Thursday night. The plane was en route from Calgary to Grande Prairie.

“All of a sudden, something came crashing through my window and I got hit in the head,” Kurylo told CTV Edmonton on Saturday.

“I didn’t even realize that it was actually the propeller right through the window where Christina was sitting,” added Kurylo’s co-worker Melissa Menard, who was also on the flight.

Kurylo says the blow from the propeller knocked her glasses off and left her dazed, bruised and covered in fibreglass. As the cabin filled with smoke, Kurylo says a stranger sitting beside her helped her get out of the plane to safety.

“He stayed with me right to the very end. He was fantastic. He really helped calm me down,” she said.
Kurylo was one of three passengers who suffered minor injuries in the ordeal.

“A couple bumps on my head,” she said. “Basically, the right side of my body is bruised and bumped.”

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/passenger- ... z3IcG7SEEl

timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by timel »

That propeller thing is insane...

Are there many accidents/incidents where props went through the fuselage? I can't find many recently.

I guess bombardier are not done with this story.

Blue Yonder
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blue Yonder »

When the TSB is done (and I think they are) with the airplane, they should gift that propeller to Ms. Kurylo. I know I would want to mount that on my wall.

Blue

Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Antique Pilot »

timel wrote:That propeller thing is insane...

Are there many accidents/incidents where props went through the fuselage? I can't find many recently.

I guess bombardier are not done with this story.
On July 9, 1956 a TCA Vickers Viscount CF-TGR lost all 4 blades on the # 4 engine while in a high speed descent over northern Michigan. The # 3 engine was damaged by a blade and shut down. Major cabin damage occurred in the area of the 2 most forward row of seats. 1 passenger was killed and 5 were injured. 1 flight attendant received head injuries. An emergency landing was made at Windsor Ont.

AP

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

About 15 years ago, an Inter Canadian ATR-42 lost the prop and gear box in cruise. Part of a blade penetrated the cabin, at a seat that luckyly contained no passenger.

Oxi
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Oxi »

Very lucky passenger! However how much can be done to prevent this with a window? For the most it went directly through the window... being the weakest spot for penetration. Solution to take out the window?

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

A solution could be to retrofit the meat seat windows with something like a lexan material

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

Seems to have been an issue with the Dash 8 dating back pretty much to day one:
NorOntair was the first airline in the world to order and take delivery of Bombardier's de Havilland Canada Dash 8 Series 100,[1] on October 23, 1984, operated by Air-Dale Ltd. The first Dash 8 in commercial service anywhere in the world wore NorOntair colours and was registered C-GJCB. This aircraft was number 6 off the assembly line and remained in active service until the closure of the company flying up to 14 hours a day across Northern Ontario. A second Dash 8 joined the fleet shortly after the first and was registered C-GPYD. This second Dash 8 was seriously damaged on approach into Sault Ste Marie one day. Shortly after the company took delivery of the aircraft, it landed hard during a cockpit crew training flight. The hard landing caused the aircraft's landing gear to collapse, causing significant damage to the newly acquired plane. Of particular concern to the airline and to de Havilland Canada at the time was the fact that the crash caused one of the engine's propeller blades to violently break away from the engine housing. The blades penetrated the cabin wall of the aircraft, travelled through Row 2 of the aircraft interior and exited through the other side of the cabin sidewall on the opposite side. Given that the aircraft was on a training flight, no passengers were on board. The flight crew escaped the aircraft without injury. The aircraft was removed from service and after months of structural repairs and refurbishment, was returned to active service.

Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

The Dash mentioned above was stalled onto the field and came to rest beside what was then RWY 11.

As a point of interest, the DoM at Air Dale engineered and manufactured a wing spar "splint" that got that particular airplane back into the air. DeHavilland apparently tried for many years after that to hire said DoM, but he politely declined.

He is currently the DoM of a rather large flying school in YAM.

remotepilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by remotepilot »

Given the width of the runway I'm surprised they ended up in the mud.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”