North Wright Air

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

leftoftrack
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 714
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:10 pm

Re: North Wright Air

Post by leftoftrack » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:58 pm

No passes on 5t anymore. Cause that costs $50
---------- ADS -----------
  

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2263
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:17 pm
Location: west to east and west again

Re: North Wright Air

Post by rigpiggy » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:28 am

leftoftrack wrote:As for the owner calling you a name when he's mad, you can always stay home with you mom and dad. They won't call you mean names when you do stupid shit.
I don't. Mind people cussing me, as long as they expect it in return. Parking lot/behind the hangar play can be liberating as well, just cheat right out of the gates.
---------- ADS -----------
  

leftoftrack
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 714
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:10 pm

Re: North Wright Air

Post by leftoftrack » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:44 pm

rigpiggy wrote:
leftoftrack wrote:As for the owner calling you a name when he's mad, you can always stay home with you mom and dad. They won't call you mean names when you do stupid shit.
I don't. Mind people cussing me, as long as they expect it in return. Parking lot/behind the hangar play can be liberating as well, just cheat right out of the gates.
Have you beat up a lot of your employers? How has that worked out for you to now?
---------- ADS -----------
  

ogc
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:52 am

Re: North Wright Air

Post by ogc » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:46 pm

leftoftrack wrote:Nice to know that someone else who has not worked there doesn't think it's a good place to work

Ramp being 2 years at perimeter I don't think the knob would be at 3000
Its closer to a year these days if you have your studying done.

Theres no bond, and I dont know too many places where a 500hr turboprop FO has the opportunity to make over 40k within your first year of flying.
---------- ADS -----------
  

leftoftrack
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 714
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:10 pm

Re: North Wright Air

Post by leftoftrack » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:41 pm

ogc wrote:
leftoftrack wrote:Nice to know that someone else who has not worked there doesn't think it's a good place to work

Ramp being 2 years at perimeter I don't think the knob would be at 3000
Its closer to a year these days if you have your studying done.

Theres no bond, and I dont know too many places where a 500hr turboprop FO has the opportunity to make over 40k within your first year of flying.
Don't know much about entry level jobs these days. The wait was closer to 2.5 years at perimeter when I went north. NWA was the only place that I knew in western Canada that got you flying within 6 months. It was interesting flying I had no expenses other than food and loans. I made good money had a good time. That's my experience others have different experiences. FWIW I'd recommend it
---------- ADS -----------
  

effdubdub
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:21 pm

Re: North Wright Air

Post by effdubdub » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:57 pm

The reason the wait time is so short is because at least one person quits every month. Literally.
---------- ADS -----------
  

RRS7
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:05 am

Re: North Wright Air

Post by RRS7 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:42 am

Anybody have any current information on these guys? Thanks so much in advance!
---------- ADS -----------
  

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2263
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:17 pm
Location: west to east and west again

Re: North Wright Air

Post by rigpiggy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:52 am

if they are paying you back your own pay, IT'S NOT A BONUS
---------- ADS -----------
  

Hilroy
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:15 pm

Re: North Wright Air

Post by Hilroy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:44 pm

I know a guy who works there, here's what he said to me recently (copied and paste):

Wait time for a right seat on twin or 1900 is between 9 months and 1 year. You might get to fly the 206/207 in the mean time.

Accomodation is provided and is actually nice (11 room camp)

The work is pretty easy, but it might be long hours. Nothing happens in the winter because of the opened winter road and the lack of canoes/hunters to fly.

You're being paid minimum salary (13$/hour), but keep in mind you have no rent to pay.

Bonds:

1900: 1 year, 20k
DHC6: 1 year, 15k
207: 1 year, 3k

That 250$ thing we had to pay back in the days is not applicable anymore, which is a good thing.

Things have changed a lot since Travis took over the company from Warren.

Don't expect to fly 1000 hours every year, I'd say 1st year, you'll get 200, next year 700...

Twin Otter operation is very different from 1900. Twin is very summer intensive, expect to duty out your 703 during the 4 months season. 1900 is more regular, but is super repetitive (always the same two routes, same 6 airports).

Let me know if you want more info, I will try to get it for you.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Laguardia
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:36 pm

Re: North Wright Air

Post by Laguardia » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:07 pm

Hilroy wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:44 pm
I know a guy who works there, here's what he said to me recently (copied and paste):

Wait time for a right seat on twin or 1900 is between 9 months and 1 year. You might get to fly the 206/207 in the mean time.

Accomodation is provided and is actually nice (11 room camp)

The work is pretty easy, but it might be long hours. Nothing happens in the winter because of the opened winter road and the lack of canoes/hunters to fly.

You're being paid minimum salary (13$/hour), but keep in mind you have no rent to pay.

Bonds:

1900: 1 year, 20k
DHC6: 1 year, 15k
207: 1 year, 3k

That 250$ thing we had to pay back in the days is not applicable anymore, which is a good thing.

Things have changed a lot since Travis took over the company from Warren.

Don't expect to fly 1000 hours every year, I'd say 1st year, you'll get 200, next year 700...

Twin Otter operation is very different from 1900. Twin is very summer intensive, expect to duty out your 703 during the 4 months season. 1900 is more regular, but is super repetitive (always the same two routes, same 6 airports).

Let me know if you want more info, I will try to get it for you.
So to sum it up

You need to go live up north in the middle of nowhere, making minimum wage for almost a year until you are allowed to fly a plane. Then, you need to sign a 20K Bond for minimum one year, of which in your first year of flying you only get 200 hours anyways. I bet the FO pay isn't much more then minimum wage either...

So it looks like at least 3 years until you can even get a chance to apply at jazz or porter, making absolutely crap money to only then make 40k a year... and I get paid 1.5 times what a jazz guy makes at my office job working 9 to 5...

who wants to spend 3-6 years of their life making essentially 20-40k a year? I wonder why there's this so called "shortage"...
---------- ADS -----------
  

Hilroy
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:15 pm

Re: North Wright Air

Post by Hilroy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:58 pm

You need to go live up north in the middle of nowhere, making minimum wage for almost a year until you are allowed to fly a plane. Then, you need to sign a 20K Bond for minimum one year, of which in your first year of flying you only get 200 hours anyways. I bet the FO pay isn't much more then minimum wage either...
Sorry if I wasn't clear... The 200 hours is your first year (including your ramp time) and you get more flying time when you actually have a PPC.

Usually the FO spend 1.5/2 years at the company.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Laguardia
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:36 pm

Re: North Wright Air

Post by Laguardia » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:46 pm

Hilroy wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:58 pm
You need to go live up north in the middle of nowhere, making minimum wage for almost a year until you are allowed to fly a plane. Then, you need to sign a 20K Bond for minimum one year, of which in your first year of flying you only get 200 hours anyways. I bet the FO pay isn't much more then minimum wage either...
Sorry if I wasn't clear... The 200 hours is your first year (including your ramp time) and you get more flying time when you actually have a PPC.

Usually the FO spend 1.5/2 years at the company.
That makes it a little better, I understand that you're usually spending around 2 years up north, maybe less due to the high flow these days, but those bond numbers are pretty high...I understand companies want to get a return on their investment, but 15k for a DHC-6 and 20k for the 1900 is steep considering most companies don't even bond. If you fly the 207 and then either the DHC-6 or 1900, doesn't that automatically make it a 2 year bond anyways?
---------- ADS -----------
  

mixturerich
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:04 pm

Re: North Wright Air

Post by mixturerich » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:34 pm

I’ve heard Northwright is a VERY good place to get started. Most outfits have a much longer wait on the ramp, and the opportunity to fly the 206/207 and get PIC time is gold. Get in there before they run out or AVGAS.

Plus in my opinion, places like Medicine Hat, Moosonee, Yellowknife, Sioux Lookout, Norman Wells, and Inuvik all pretty much suck equally. They all get cold AF in the winter and the only thing to do is watch movies and get drunk. In the summer you can also fish and get drunk and mob around on an ATV.
---------- ADS -----------
  

jt8d
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:18 pm

Re: North Wright Air

Post by jt8d » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:38 pm

To sum it up for Laguardia... don't quit your day job mate... you clearly don't have the passion to fly for a living.. good thing you make what.. 70k per year? Ohh sounds like you are set for life..

good things come to those who wait... you don't seem to have the long term outlook dude... pilot life can be gravy... if you put in your time.. it's fun.. how fun is your office gig lmao!
---------- ADS -----------
  

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1437
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:59 pm

Re: North Wright Air

Post by shimmydampner » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:00 pm

Laguardia wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:07 pm
I get paid 1.5 times what a jazz guy makes at my office job working 9 to 5...
Sweeeet. How's the view from your cubicle?
Laguardia wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:07 pm
who wants to spend 3-6 years of their life making essentially 20-40k a year? I wonder why there's this so called "shortage"...
Who wants to spend 1 day of their life as a 9-5 office drone? I can't imagine a more soul-sucking existence.

The jobs where I made $30-70k a year were the best jobs I ever had and the best times of my life. I can imagine flying a twin otter in the Mackenzie Mountains would be similarly exhilarating.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Yycjetdriver
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:00 pm

Re: North Wright Air

Post by Yycjetdriver » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:31 am

mixturerich wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:34 pm
I’ve heard Northwright is a VERY good place to get started. Most outfits have a much longer wait on the ramp, and the opportunity to fly the 206/207 and get PIC time is gold. Get in there before they run out or AVGAS.

Plus in my opinion, places like Medicine Hat, Moosonee, Yellowknife, Sioux Lookout, Norman Wells, and Inuvik all pretty much suck equally. They all get cold AF in the winter and the only thing to do is watch movies and get drunk. In the summer you can also fish and get drunk and mob around on an ATV.
I’ve heard North-Wright called a lot of different things, a good place never ever ever ever being one of them. You should have said things like “terrible pay, slave labour, asshole management, shotty maintenance, old worn out airplanes (1900’s excluded)”, the list goes on and on.
---------- ADS -----------
  

mixturerich
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:04 pm

Re: North Wright Air

Post by mixturerich » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:45 am

Yycjetdriver wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:31 am
mixturerich wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:34 pm
I’ve heard Northwright is a VERY good place to get started. Most outfits have a much longer wait on the ramp, and the opportunity to fly the 206/207 and get PIC time is gold. Get in there before they run out or AVGAS.

Plus in my opinion, places like Medicine Hat, Moosonee, Yellowknife, Sioux Lookout, Norman Wells, and Inuvik all pretty much suck equally. They all get cold AF in the winter and the only thing to do is watch movies and get drunk. In the summer you can also fish and get drunk and mob around on an ATV.
I’ve heard North-Wright called a lot of different things, a good place never ever ever ever being one of them. You should have said things like “terrible pay, slave labour, asshole management, shotty maintenance, old worn out airplanes (1900’s excluded)”, the list goes on and on.
You might be able to say that about a lot of small operators unfortunately, but you are incorrect or exaggerating about most of those items. All starting pay sucks in this industry. That being said, they do offer overtime as far as I am aware. Old worn out airplanes? Again that is every small operator. Shotty maintenance? Insulting to the dedicated crew of people of maintenance people up there.

I know a very large number of people that are doing extremely well in their careers now, that started at Northwright, meanwhile skipping ahead of those who chose to work for different companies in bigger towns, only to end up working the ramp for 2-3 years and never getting any PIC time.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Yycjetdriver
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:00 pm

Re: North Wright Air

Post by Yycjetdriver » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:02 am

mixturerich wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:45 am
Yycjetdriver wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:31 am
mixturerich wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:34 pm
I’ve heard Northwright is a VERY good place to get started. Most outfits have a much longer wait on the ramp, and the opportunity to fly the 206/207 and get PIC time is gold. Get in there before they run out or AVGAS.

Plus in my opinion, places like Medicine Hat, Moosonee, Yellowknife, Sioux Lookout, Norman Wells, and Inuvik all pretty much suck equally. They all get cold AF in the winter and the only thing to do is watch movies and get drunk. In the summer you can also fish and get drunk and mob around on an ATV.
I’ve heard North-Wright called a lot of different things, a good place never ever ever ever being one of them. You should have said things like “terrible pay, slave labour, asshole management, shotty maintenance, old worn out airplanes (1900’s excluded)”, the list goes on and on.
You might be able to say that about a lot of small operators unfortunately, but you are incorrect or exaggerating about most of those items. All starting pay sucks in this industry. That being said, they do offer overtime as far as I am aware. Old worn out airplanes? Again that is every small operator. Shotty maintenance? Insulting to the dedicated crew of people of maintenance people up there.

I know a very large number of people that are doing extremely well in their careers now, that started at Northwright, meanwhile skipping ahead of those who chose to work for different companies in bigger towns, only to end up working the ramp for 2-3 years and never getting any PIC time.
When did you work there? Recently or..?
---------- ADS -----------
  

Yycjetdriver
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:00 pm

Re: North Wright Air

Post by Yycjetdriver » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:30 pm

Yycjetdriver wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:02 am
mixturerich wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:45 am
Yycjetdriver wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:31 am


I’ve heard North-Wright called a lot of different things, a good place never ever ever ever being one of them. You should have said things like “terrible pay, slave labour, asshole management, shotty maintenance, old worn out airplanes (1900’s excluded)”, the list goes on and on.
You might be able to say that about a lot of small operators unfortunately, but you are incorrect or exaggerating about most of those items. All starting pay sucks in this industry. That being said, they do offer overtime as far as I am aware. Old worn out airplanes? Again that is every small operator. Shotty maintenance? Insulting to the dedicated crew of people of maintenance people up there.

I know a very large number of people that are doing extremely well in their careers now, that started at Northwright, meanwhile skipping ahead of those who chose to work for different companies in bigger towns, only to end up working the ramp for 2-3 years and never getting any PIC time.
When did you work there? Recently or..?
Mixturerich, I was just wondering if you working there during the almost 4 years I spent there or maybe not at all???
---------- ADS -----------
  

mixturerich
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:04 pm

Re: North Wright Air

Post by mixturerich » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:03 pm

Yycjetdriver wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:30 pm
Yycjetdriver wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:02 am
mixturerich wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:45 am


You might be able to say that about a lot of small operators unfortunately, but you are incorrect or exaggerating about most of those items. All starting pay sucks in this industry. That being said, they do offer overtime as far as I am aware. Old worn out airplanes? Again that is every small operator. Shotty maintenance? Insulting to the dedicated crew of people of maintenance people up there.

I know a very large number of people that are doing extremely well in their careers now, that started at Northwright, meanwhile skipping ahead of those who chose to work for different companies in bigger towns, only to end up working the ramp for 2-3 years and never getting any PIC time.
When did you work there? Recently or..?
Mixturerich, I was just wondering if you working there during the almost 4 years I spent there or maybe not at all???
You’re missing my point. I’m saying it’s pretty similar conditions to any small operator but the progression is actually faster in terms of doing your time on the ground.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Yycjetdriver
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:00 pm

Re: North Wright Air

Post by Yycjetdriver » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:27 pm

mixturerich wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:03 pm
Yycjetdriver wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:30 pm
Yycjetdriver wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:02 am


When did you work there? Recently or..?
Mixturerich, I was just wondering if you working there during the almost 4 years I spent there or maybe not at all???
You’re missing my point. I’m saying it’s pretty similar conditions to any small operator but the progression is actually faster in terms of doing your time on the ground.
No I think you’re missing the point. For the reasons I stated, it wouldn’t matter if it was a direct entry 200 hour flying job it’s still a terrible place to work. You then went on the say my reasons weren’t fact when I lived it. So I was wondering what you’re first hand experience there would disapprove my first hand knowledge.
---------- ADS -----------
  

mixturerich
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:04 pm

Re: North Wright Air

Post by mixturerich » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:03 pm

If it was soooo bad then why’d you stay there for 4 years??
---------- ADS -----------
  

Yycjetdriver
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:00 pm

Re: North Wright Air

Post by Yycjetdriver » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:21 am

mixturerich wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:03 pm
If it was soooo bad then why’d you stay there for 4 years??
Well for one they used to have a different type of bond. They used to deduct from every paycheque and put the amount (10,500$) into trust. You had to stay that long to get your money back, if you stayed 1 day less they kept it all. But you’re on here spewing info about a company so I assume you knew that?
---------- ADS -----------
  

Hilroy
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:15 pm

Re: North Wright Air

Post by Hilroy » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:58 pm

Yycjetdriver wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:21 am
[Well for one they used to have a different type of bond. They used to deduct from every paycheque and put the amount (10,500$) into trust. You had to stay that long to get your money back, if you stayed 1 day less they kept it all. But you’re on here spewing info about a company so I assume you knew that?
This 250$ / month is not a thing anymore. It has been replaced by bonding each individual aircraft, as listed above...
---------- ADS -----------
  

Post Reply

Return to “Employment Forum”