Anybody Joining/Rejoining the Airforce?

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: Sulako, North Shore, ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia

SAR_YQQ
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Anybody Joining/Rejoining the Airforce?

Post by SAR_YQQ »

nutlord wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:01 pm why would you want to all of a sudden have to call someone 15 years younger than you "Sir" or "Ma'am" and start at the bottom again.
I imagine it would be the same as joining an airline after a flying for 25 years in the RCAF. Pulling gear for some 30 year old Captain sitting beside you, having to adjust to being a seniority number - where promotion and advancement is based entirely on when you entered the company, vice flying skill and experience. Having to call him/her “boss, skipper, etc”. Being in an environment where your previous experience means nothing. Huh, I guess that’s the strawman argument for airline to military pilot progression too, guess I better just suck it up and enjoy my polyester pants and clip on tie.

Best part of RCAF flying, my salary isn’t based on how many hours I fly per year.
---------- ADS -----------

nutlord
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by nutlord »

SAR_YQQ wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:16 am
nutlord wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:01 pm why would you want to all of a sudden have to call someone 15 years younger than you "Sir" or "Ma'am" and start at the bottom again.
I imagine it would be the same as joining an airline after a flying for 25 years in the RCAF. Pulling gear for some 30 year old Captain sitting beside you, having to adjust to being a seniority number - where promotion and advancement is based entirely on when you entered the company, vice flying skill and experience. Having to call him/her “boss, skipper, etc”. Being in an environment where your previous experience means nothing. Huh, I guess that’s the strawman argument for airline to military pilot progression too, guess I better just suck it up and enjoy my polyester pants and clip on tie.

Best part of RCAF flying, my salary isn’t based on how many hours I fly per year.
And the flying is actually fun! West Coast SAR is my dream posting :bear:

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

tsgarp wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:35 pm

Things that seem really cool in your 20's (pulling G, seeing all parts of the world, flying 150' AGL in the dark over the Arctic Ocean, maintaining small arms/NBC/fitness qualifications and doing lots of desk work) become less cool in your 30's and 40's. By the time you hit 50, they start to become real pains in the ass.

The Air Force is great for young, geographically mobile people who like fitness and are not overly attached to family. The further you depart from these parameters, the less fun the Air Force becomes
This /\

The other reality is that the Military used to have age limits on new recruits so that all new entrants were relatively young. After someone challenged the policy at the human rights tribunal the Military was forced to enroll everyone who met the minimum recruit standards up to age 58.

The inconvenient fact is that there is a direct linear relationship between pass rate and age. Older recruits, particularly those 40 and older have a much lower success rate at becoming qualified in their occupation.

However for a young person I highly recommend that they consider a Military career. You will get the best training available, will be forced to stretch yourself in ways you never imagined and will have one of the best pensions plans anywhere. The pension benefit may not seem like a big deal when you are in your 20's but I guarantee you will be extremely grateful for it when you are in your 50's....

Redmud
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Redmud »

All this talk about pension got me thinking - I always wondered if aircrew who do the minimum years (not sure how many years that is) and then retire from the Forces in Canada start getting pension payments the day they leave, or do they first start getting pension payments after 65? I always wondered about that.
Thanx
Red

tsgarp
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by tsgarp »

Redmud wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:17 am All this talk about pension got me thinking - I always wondered if aircrew who do the minimum years (not sure how many years that is) and then retire from the Forces in Canada start getting pension payments the day they leave, or do they first start getting pension payments after 65? I always wondered about that.
Thanx
Red
It is all based on years of service; minimum time required for an unreduced pension is 25 years. If you joined at 18 (Did the ROTP thing) you would retire with a 50% pension (2% per year of service) at age 43. Maximum pension is 70% so you could retire at age 53 with a 70% pension. It usually takes a few months for the pension to get sorted out.

There are different clauses if you are released medically or get out before you've done the full 25.

Return to “Employment Forum”