Pay My Training Bond?

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Pay My Training Bond?

Post by timel »

Illya, as much as I want to agree with you about how bonds do suck.
As long as 3rd level ops will be a step in a pilot career, they will have to keep the bonds in order to keep the pilots.

How many pilots did get that training and left the day after for better. Operators also accept pilots who just committed themselves to an other place.

It is aviation. I see pilots in Europe and USA that pay to fly in order to build experience. Where is the decency in aviation? I guess we are doing not to bad around here, yes it can be much better but I would focus on abusive bounds and define them.

A 1 year bond, unique, not renewable and not applicable on upgrade. Sounds fair for the pilot and the airline, like someone said, not all operators can afford massive and unlimited trainings.
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by timel on Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
godsrcrazy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by godsrcrazy »

Illya Kuryakin wrote:Name names there gods....That's one company. Out with it man.
Illya
There is only one Twin Otter operator based in Calgary that fly's everywhere in the world. I don't think i need to spell it out. The chief pilot i am referring to left a couple of years ago.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Illya Kuryakin wrote:
photofly wrote:Right... I'm looking for non-pilot jobs in other industries where the employer pays for huge quantities of transferable training for day 1 employees without asking for a bond. Apparently I just have to think hard enough and lots of examples will occur to me, but no joy so far. Your example doesn't really fit the bill, but thanks anyway.
I'm missing your point. I know two off the top of my head who have masters in business degrees paid by their companies. I did a three month course myself in Houston Texas in commercial real estate when my medical got pulled for donating bone marrow. This was paid by my broker. Engineering firms, oil companies, Apple, IBM used to. A friend (granted, several years ago) took a several month course with Xerox.
You think it unique? It isn't. What IS unique, is pilots are the only segment of workers I can find that sign bonds. So, photofly, if it'll make you happy, sign a bond.
Illya
What appears to be different is that none of your examples are of compulsory training that has to be given to a zero-day worker. And I'm not sure that companies like Apple and IBM are seen by their employees are mere stepping stones to the real job at AC - Apple and IBM have some confidence that the newly trained employee will actually stick around. You airline pilots all appear to be a fickle, mendacious, disloyal and untrustworthy bunch - or so it would seem by the attitude taken by some in this thread.

Someone kindly PM'd me an example of first-responder training for fire-fighters. The only thing I can think about that is that fire departments are paid with public money, and don't need to show a profit at the end of the day. Perhaps the loss of $16k to a fire department doesn't matter so much as it might to a small airline.

If I were running a third tier airline and trying to stay profitable - I'd actually make pilots take out their own bank loans. Let the bank chase defaulters; why should I trouble myself? And if I did have bonds, and someone defaulted on one - I'd pursue them to the end of the earth - bankruptcy court and beyond - to get the money back. Then the first $500 of any repayment would go behind the bar for my remaining pilots to party on, so they got the message. In an ideal world the head of the defaulter would be on a pole behind the bar while the drinking was going on. Pour encourager les autres, as the saying goes.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

godsrcrazy wrote:
Illya Kuryakin wrote:Name names there gods....That's one company. Out with it man.
Illya
There is only one Twin Otter operator based in Calgary that fly's everywhere in the world. I don't think i need to spell it out. The chief pilot i am referring to left a couple of years ago.
Okay. I know them. And, I knew him. Nuf said.
Illya

Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.
Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

Photofly......go find a bond, and sign it. It'll complete you.
Illya

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Illya Kuryakin wrote:Photofly......go find a bond, and sign it. It'll complete you.
Illya
:D

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
AirMail
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by AirMail »

Cat Driver wrote:There was a time when there was no PPC, your license was for a class of aircraft and the company hiring you did so by having you pass their flight tests.

Has the PPC improved anything?

Ah yes, and no it hasn't, it's virtually the same with ACP's, and with TC more hands off/distant approach to save a dime. So it's the same thing with a mess it's created with the whole bond issue.

However if things were like back then, I'm sure companies today would still come up with a ways to stop pilots from leaving early after hiring by way of some sort of contract.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

There is an interesting twist on the PPC in another juridiction. Pilots sign an employment contract.
When they do their ride, the regulator takes a copy of it. If they want to go to another company, the second company has to buy their contract. As a result companies can sponsor a pilot through their complete training from 0 hours. It is to bad that TC folks think they have nothing to learn from other regulators, or any mandate to aviation in general.
At first I thought this was draconian, but it completely stops poaching rated of PPC pilots for no other reason than to save money.
It is kind of like making them non transferable.

If there were no PPCs , I expect we might just see a whole bunch of 250 pilots flying iFR , doing non precision approachs....without any training.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

trey kule wrote:
If there were no PPCs , I expect we might just see a whole bunch of 250 pilots flying iFR , doing non precision approachs....without any training.
You can't deny the entertainment value.
Illya

godsrcrazy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by godsrcrazy »

Illya Kuryakin wrote:
trey kule wrote:
Illya
Not sure i would find entertainment in that.

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

godsrcrazy wrote:
Illya Kuryakin wrote:
trey kule wrote:
Illya
Not sure i would find entertainment in that.
Look at it as a Monty Python skit.
Illya

Flypilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Pay My Training Bond? Should i worry about a lawsuit?

Post by Flypilot »

SmokinJoe wrote:Pay the bond for the simple reason you said you would. I am not for bonds but I am for being a person of your word.

I admire this attitude! I am currently working for my 4th employer. I still regularly get calls and emails from all my past employers. I make a point of going out for coffee or dinner with all of them every chance I get. Twice a job offer came that was hard to turn down even though I had made a commitment not to leave before the end of the season. Years later I can see why keeping my word clearly was the best choice I could have made. All I can say is look at the big picture, not just next week.

kata_batic
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kata_batic »

Training bonds are a load of... Yes the company has to pay out for training. So did the pilots. Yes a certain percentage of guys will take a PPC and bail out. But if your company is so terrible to work for that someone isn't willing to stay, then perhaps that requires some introspection on the employers part. If you want people to live and fly in isolated areas, with old equipment, bend the rules to get the companies job done.. then you need to compensate them appropriately. Lookin' at you northern operators... For years companies got by demanding whatever they wanted from crews. Now the market has shifted, and these companies need to offer the going rate. To me, training bonds are the temper tantrum of companies that can no longer offer any other reason for employees to stay.

yycinformer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by yycinformer »

...kinda sounds like Integra these days

Return to “Employment Forum”