Pay My Training Bond?

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

PointyEngine
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Pay My Training Bond? Should i worry about a lawsuit?

Post by PointyEngine »

Illya Kuryakin wrote:Don't tell your present boss anything if the job with AC is not FIRM! Hopefully, you're at least that bright? Not like you're literate.
Frankly, I smell a troll.
Illya
If you have an interview with another airline, tell your boss. Don't come back and say "By that way, I had an interview next week, also, expect a call for a reference check"

Illya, for all your experience and judgement you pass on many subjects here, you seem to be lacking a tad of both decency and actual understanding of what's required for people to land job with less than 5,000hrs...
---------- ADS -----------

andy.air
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by andy.air »

What it boils down to is will your employer go after you or not? Every employer is different, so the only person who can make the judgement call on this is you. You would know your employer better than some random face on the internet.

From a legal perspective, signing a bond is a legal agreement. If they do go after you, they will probably win their money back, since it qualifies as a breach of contract. If not, then you are in luck. It's kinda like gambling in a way.

If you are not willing to take the all or nothing risk though, I'd probably go with one of the advices above: work out a deal with your current employer. Perhaps you can get away by paying less, and it won't sneak up on you. This is the middle-road strategy.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

trey kule wrote:You signed a bond.
Four months later AC comes calling.out of the clear blue? Not likely. Yousent a resume in.

So you agreed to a bond, got the training and then almost immediately started applying to AC.

And now you want to weasal out of paying the bond.

If I was your present employer I would sue your ass off. And I hope they do just that.

You, and others like you are the reason companies require bonds.

Good luck in your career
I completely agree. (Hopefully TK doesn't fall off his chair in surprise.)

I wonder if the OP knows what a douche it makes him or her look like, to ask the question.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by timel »

This person came in for an advice, not to be insulted. That is what forums are for... no?

It is pretty easy to make quick judgements. I know many pilots that live day by day with very little money and can't afford any unplanned expenses.

Essentially, alphabravoalpha is expressing how financially he is having hard time right now if he adds the financial burden of a bond. He could have expressed it differently.

He shouldn't have given his future employer name, it could have helped to avoid the haters comments.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

If he doesn't want unplanned expenses he could always stick with the job he has, you know. I don't believe anyone has a gun to his head forcing him to leave for a bigger airline. If the lights of AC are so bright and shiny he can't resist, it's proper behaviour to repay the bond. To ask if it's ok to do otherwise is to be a douche.
its not that I'm not loyal
he writes.

Sounds both disloyal and a douche, to me.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

From an employers position this is the perfect example of asking for a time frame agreement for training costs.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

What nobody seems to get, is that other industries do train people. Other industries do not enslave their employees. Employees do leave for better/different opportunities. It's called, the cost of doing business. Of course, in other industries, the employees have the intellect not to allow themselves to get into this situation in the first place. Aviation in Canada is run by, and for, idiots.
Go to Air Canada! Ignore the petty jealousies of your band of brothers!
Illya

Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

What nobody seems to get, is that other industries do train people
Give some examples.

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

photofly wrote:
Give some examples.
Seriously? Every industry trains employees. Name one that doesn't. Nobody comes out of school and does a job untrained. MacDonalds trains people and A&W steals them. Everybody trains! People like you think we're specials? We isn't.
Illya

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

I received the most interesting email on this thread.

It seems there is a very large, and reputable company in Canada, that asks on their application form if you have signed or are subject to a bond.

If they hire you, they pay out your bond, and add it to their own with the same amortization period...
If however you say no, and you did have a bond, you have falsified your signed (and witnessed) application. Guess how a court will look at that!

I am gobsmacked by the number of posters who, it seems, think it is pretty normal to agree to a bond, and then try to negotiate out of it, or walk out completely....I think some honestly believe if they get the call their present employer will be overjoyed to write off their training costs after a few months.

Every pilot that thinks like this damages the integrity of the rest.

You want to fly in the big show. I get that. But your employer trained you in good faith that you would meet your bond committment. Not try to weasal out of it.

The only negotiation I can think of is trying to set up a repayment plan with your employer.

Troll or not, the posts here were enlightening. As was the fact that there are at least one very reputable company out there, and I expect maybe more (or at least hope). And yes, , to answer your question, you should be worried about a lawsuit...

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Illya Kuryakin wrote:
photofly wrote:
Give some examples.
Seriously? Every industry trains employees. Name one that doesn't. Nobody comes out of school and does a job untrained. MacDonalds trains people and A&W steals them. Everybody trains! People like you think we're specials? We isn't.
Illya
I doubt McDonalds spends that much cash on training a new employee. Any examples of an industry with comparable training costs?

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

TK is correct. He usually is. Want to avoid this ? Don't sign one in the first place.
Illya

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

Photofly......THINKABOUTIT! You must be able to come up with some on your own. Did mom do your homework for you in your third year in grade 6? I said every industry trains. The cost is only an issue if you make it so. Go ahead mate, sign on the dotted line. I don't care.
Illya

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Actually, forgive me, I am thinking about it, but no I can't think of any other industry where a new employee gets $13k of training on their first day. Often that training is transferrable to a new employer to reduce *their* traning costs, too. That's why I'm asking you to help me out. GIve me some comparables, please.

justwork
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by justwork »

My brother inlaw has changed employers twice since he graduated. Both times has been moved across the globe, at a cost of $30K the first time and $50K the second (had kids now). That is a cost that the company put up front before he even lifted a pencil. No bond.....

My sister took a 6 week training program paid for by the company, no bond.

My good friend was sent to Harvard university (executive MBA program) by her employer, paid school, paid her full salary, no bond.

But hey, those likely all cost close to, or WAY more, then a king air ppc.

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Pay My Training Bond?

Post by Diadem »

It's a bit late to be discussing whether he should have signed a bond; he's asking whether he should renege on a contract to which he's already agreed. Would you endorse him skipping out on a mortgage because he found a better house and doesn't feel like paying the bank the balance? How about borrowing a few hundred bucks from a friend, and then refusing to pay it back because he's been offered a better friendship? He signed the bond, and now he wants out, so he should pay it back. He knew the risks when he signed, and if he can't afford it then he shouldn't leave. If he wants to leave that badly, he can find the money.

Spokes
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Spokes »

photofly wrote:
Give some examples.
My company shelled out 100k for my training with no bond attached. They pay very well, and take good care of me.

Wahunga!
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Spokes wrote:
photofly wrote:
Give some examples.
My company shelled out 100k for my training with no bond attached. They pay very well, and take good care of me.
Which industry are you in?

Spokes
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Spokes »

Aerospace industry. My company provides UAV's for a military client. The training was for piloting the UAV. I am also commercial pilot.

Wahunga!
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Right... I'm looking for non-pilot jobs in other industries where the employer pays for huge quantities of transferable training for day 1 employees without asking for a bond. Apparently I just have to think hard enough and lots of examples will occur to me, but no joy so far. Your example doesn't really fit the bill, but thanks anyway.

Return to “Employment Forum”