First Aid

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

First Aid

Post by awitzke »

I was thinking of getting my emergency first aid to pad the resume a bit and I guess it' can't be bad to have if you're flying in the bush. Thoughts? Worth it or no?
---------- ADS -----------

seasonaldriver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: First Aid

Post by seasonaldriver »

It might help a tiny bit for the resume, but it will help you a lot more personally especially if you plan on a career in the bush. The cost of the course isn't much and you'll end up being able to help someone in need, maybe even yourself, when there is no one else for miles(and miles) around.
The Red Cross and St. John Ambulance organizations are the principal providers of first aid courses, which can be found almost everywhere.

BTW, the more advanced a course you take, the better prepared you'll be.

Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Adam Oke »

You might as well get your Standard First Aid -- surely the cost difference is minimal? I don't think it is much of a resume pad'er....but it certainly has value. That being said, once employed, both companies that I work for questioned whether I had First Aid or not ... so I am under the impression it is a positive thing for an operator to have first aid trained pilots. Maybe TC likes to see these things?

I say do the course regardless and put it on there resume. As a generic "200 hr wonder" it certainly isn't going to hinder your resume.

--Air to Ground Chemical Transfer Technician turned 4 Bar Switch Flicker and Flap Operator--
North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Adding a little twist to the mix, I'd suggest finding a wilderness first aid course, rather than the standard ones..
Realistically, just about anywhere in the civilized world, as soon as there's an accident, word goes out, and the ambulances start rolling. You'd be lucky to get half way through the A-B-C that they teach you before the pros arrive, and you'll be shunted off to the side.
If, as you are hoping, you get working out in the bush, then it could be several hours before help arrives to an accident scene. From what I've heard of wilderness courses, it will better prepare you to deal with that...

$.02

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.

Return to “Employment Forum”