need info - how to work as an aircraft mechanic in Australia

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Kiel
Rank 0
Rank 0

need info - how to work as an aircraft mechanic in Australia

Post by Kiel »

Hey everyone, Looking for some information.
I graduated a transport Canada approved aircraft maintenance engineering course last year. I was accredited with 18 months towards my (M) licence and I am currently working in an overhaul facility as aircraft wheel and brake technician. I plan to move to Australia in Dec 2015 and I was wondering what kind of process I need to go through to obtain an apprenticeship in Australia? also I wanted to know if its possible to prove any equivalency or have my current hours and experience applied down there.

any information anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated!
---------- ADS -----------

Choppermech1986
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: need info - how to work as an aircraft mechanic in Austr

Post by Choppermech1986 »

If you could go with an M1, you would be likely issued an Australian license with all of the privileges that come with your M1, provided you sat the one CAR's exam in Australia. Going without your M1 will put you in the same category as an apprentice over there, that is, provided your training is recognised (which I'm confident that it would be).

To answer your question though, proving equivalency shouldn't be an issue, provided you have documentation of your time working in aviation. Letters from employers, payslips, photos of any interesting work you may have done, training certificates and records (anything and everything will help in this regard!) will help your case with CASA when it comes time to apply for a license.

As far as getting an apprenticeship in Australia, it should be relatively simple, provided you have the right to live and work there and your work ethic is good. The Canadian AME training is (in most cases) very strong and will put you in good stead, theory wise, to support your on the job learning. As a comparison, the Australian AME diploma is about 6 months shorter than the Canadian equivalent with a lot less hands on training.

My suggestion, put the time into getting your M1 in Canada and then go across, it will be much easier to convert than vice versa and at least then you will always have a license in your home country.

Best of luck with it!

InclinePlane
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: need info - how to work as an aircraft mechanic in Austr

Post by InclinePlane »

Send an E-Mail to the Australian Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) and see what they say

http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?W ... c=PC_90495

Here is some information on their requirements

http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?W ... c=PC_91489

For employment try this - http://www.seek.com.au/

Let us know what you find out

Return to “Employment Forum”