Porter

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Stevo226
Rank 3
Rank 3

Porter

Post by Stevo226 »

Anybody care to share current info on pay, schedule and upgrade times? Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

ptc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Porter

Post by ptc »

Pay rates are still the same as they have been for a few years now.
Upgrade is sitting at about 2.5 years
20 days work per month maximum with 10 days off. Depeninding on your schedule this might mean working less then 20 days.

Boreas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Boreas »

Any idea when the last GS was? When is the next one scheduled for? What's the average intake size?

Thank.

Wayans
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Wayans »

A class starts today, another next month. Around 8-10 per class.

Flyboycanada80
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Flyboycanada80 »

Some questions regarding Porter!

Whats the average experience of new hires?
How is the work environment at Porter? Are people happy there? Any rumors about the jet expansion?
In regards to upgrades, is it by seniority or does management decide who gets upgraded?
How long is the commute to work from a decent area in the city?
Can anyone shed any light at the questions asked during the video interview?

Thanks all!

Wayans
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Wayans »

There is no easy answer to the average question. My class went from as low as the minmums to as high as 6000hrs. Its all over.

The work environment is great! Most pilots are happy to be there, whether it is their long term career goal or not. Schedules are generally good and the people you work with enjoy it.

What rumours would we know that you wouldn't? Its before city council to be decided upon. We need them to change the tripartite agreement for the jets to happen. Plain and simple.

Upgrades are seniority based.

The commute question is way too ambiguous to answer. What is a 'decent' part of the city? The GTA is enormous and our pilots commute from all corners of it - and I'm sure they all say they live in a decent area. My best advise is use the commute time calculator on Google Maps to figure out what the time is from where ever you live.

And for your last question I can't help because it wasn't in place when I interviewed.

Flyboycanada80
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Flyboycanada80 »

Wayans wrote:There is no easy answer to the average question. My class went from as low as the minmums to as high as 6000hrs. Its all over.

The work environment is great! Most pilots are happy to be there, whether it is their long term career goal or not. Schedules are generally good and the people you work with enjoy it.

What rumours would we know that you wouldn't? Its before city council to be decided upon. We need them to change the tripartite agreement for the jets to happen. Plain and simple.

Upgrades are seniority based.

The commute question is way too ambiguous to answer. What is a 'decent' part of the city? The GTA is enormous and our pilots commute from all corners of it - and I'm sure they all say they live in a decent area. My best advise is use the commute time calculator on Google Maps to figure out what the time is from where ever you live.

And for your last question I can't help because it wasn't in place when I interviewed.

Thanks for your response. I did something right because I was asked to come in for an inperson interview..

I'm not from that side of the country therefore was asking about housing etc...
I was also curious about parking? Do most pilots drive to work and is there dedicate parking?
Are there any flight benefits for my wife?
And are there any agreements with other airlines ex ac or wj?
It's nice to hear the work environment is good that's #1 for me.

Thanks again Wayans

whodareswins
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by whodareswins »

Flyboycanada80 wrote:I'm not from that side of the country therefore was asking about housing etc...
I was also curious about parking? Do most pilots drive to work and is there dedicate parking?
Are there any flight benefits for my wife?
And are there any agreements with other airlines ex ac or wj?
It's nice to hear the work environment is good that's #1 for me.

Most pilots drive in from outside of the city but some walk or take the TTC. There a few monthly and daily paid parking lots near the airport.

Wife, children and parents get travel benefits with Porter and other airlines like Air France, Lufthansa, Delta, Qantas, Cathay, Emirates, etc through MyIDTravel. Pilots have jumpseat agreements with a variety of North American airlines like Westjet, United, Transat, Sunwing, Jazz, etc.

chipmunk
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by chipmunk »

whodareswins wrote:

Most pilots drive in from outside of the city but some walk or take the TTC. There a few monthly and daily paid parking lots near the airport.
Do note that the reserve call-out window gives you 2h to get to the crew room. With the tunnel opening soon (June?) that'll make the commute easier (for example, YTZ TO midtown on the TTC takes 45 min, but have to allow about 1:30 or so on the way to the airport because the ferry is rarely on schedule.)

Return to “Employment Forum”