Cathay Pacific

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

flyinbrian
Rank 0
Rank 0

Cathay Pacific

Post by flyinbrian »

Howdy' All!

I finally got the call today that I've been waiting 8 years for! I have an interview with Cathay and I feel underprepared - 2 months to go!

Could anybody recommend any good prep books for the technical interview - I've already heard about the CX Interview Prep book and Flyin' the Big Jets...... Also I was wondering if anybody's heard about a seminar / course that prepares candidates for interview - specifically for CX in North America?

Any positive thoughts or info would be GREATLY appreciated!

Flyin' Brian :)
---------- ADS -----------

Beacon Final
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Beacon Final »

Hey congrats man. I am a 400 hr wonder but I was in Chapters today and saw this book....

title: Ace the Technical Pilot Interview
author: Gary V. Bristow
isbn: 0-07-139609-8

It may be of no help, but hey who knows!!! And if it helps land you a job just remember me!! :lol:

et Bon Chance

Last edited by Beacon Final on Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
cedarjet
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cedarjet »

8yrs waiting and underprepaired?

anyways, good luck, they have yyz, yvr and anc bases.

RB211
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by RB211 »

The 2 books you mentioned will do you well for the technical stuff. Also some info on southern hemisphere wx and that around the convergence zone.

Otherwise, be yourself. If you don't know the answer to a question, don't try to bs because they, of course, know the answer.

Be sure they know CX is your one and only dream job, well worth the 8 year wait. They want folks who desperately want to be there.

Good luck.

Expatriated
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Expatriated »

Are you in the group being interviewed the week of April 19th or is it at a later date?

CClub
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CClub »

Calgary Pilot Supply used to sell a book called something like Your Cathay Pacific Interview Guide, but I'm not sure if they sell it anymore. I read through it a while back, not taht I"m qualified or even close, and it had some good pointers in it.

RB211
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by RB211 »

No. Have initial interviewed twice before. Turned the second interview down the first time. Had too many reservations about working there the second time and it showed I guess.

SplitS
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by SplitS »

Check out http://www.aviationworld.com and buy:

Preparing for your Cathay Pacific Interview ISBN 0-9682836-0-8
Its 2-3 years old but worth the 36$

And buy HANDLING the Big Jets, not Flying the big Jets. Also at aviationworld. Its 80$ but most of the Cathay technical questions are drawn from it.

There is also a video available at the same site of a couple of Cathay Flights from start to finish - you may learn alot from them.

Also buy, Flying the Wing, if you dont have it.

check out pilotinterviews.com also for Cathay threads as they are always changing their questions as they are well aware of the resources available for pilots out there.

Good luck! :wink:

Keep flying till the noise stops.
V3-BZE
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by V3-BZE »

did my initial in sept. and my final interview in feb. all the above mentioned books are good, but the best one i found was a new one called Airline Interview Questions Explained by Captains ABC. this book has a big section on cathay and has all the answers to the questions. you can order it from http://www.bookworm.com.au, just do a search for interview prep book.
also http://www.pilotcareercentre.com does interview prep seminars. it's kinda pricey, but i felt it was worth the money as it made me much more confortable in the interview. they have very current info on cathay.
if you do get to the second round in HK i would strongly suggest getting some practice time in a B747-200 sim. the sim ride is the most important part of the final interview and it is what washes most people out. coastal pacific aviation in Abbotsford is currently running the old Air Canada B742 sim (non-motion) for $250/hour. puts a dent in the pocket book, but a worthwhile investment if it lands you the job with cathay.
http://www.pprune.com has plenty threads on the cathay interview process under the fragrant harbour wannabees section.
hope this helps, good luck!
PJ

V3-BZE
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by V3-BZE »

also read up on the HKAOA recruitment ban cause they like to ask questions about that touchy issue... http://www.hkaoa.org.
do some research on hong kong itself too, they will ask you what you know about it and why you want to move there.

ps - cathay is a first class company, and hong kong rocks!

SplitS
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by SplitS »

dead link v3-bze for the prepbook...

Keep flying till the noise stops.
V3-BZE
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by V3-BZE »

ooops, that's http://www.bookworm.com.au

accidentally put a comma on the end of the first one..

cyyz
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by cyyz »

Get the schedule of a Cathay flight when they're landing at YYZ, come down and talk to the pilots, invite the Capt. or FO for a coffee or start with the FA, get her to introduce you to the crew, or hook up with her...

Some pilots are great laughs.. Tried setting up my best friends sister with a SkyService FO. Didn't work, he did have a good laugh about the "strategy," got an email and a contact out of it.

Don't really suggest you should go there "pimping" your friends, but yeah, just go up and say "hey."

My 2 cents for today..

Books are fine too, I suppose..

cedarjet
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cedarjet »

maybe your best friend's sister didnt work out with the ssv fo cos 90% of male fo's are gay?

RB211
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by RB211 »

cedarjet wrote:maybe your best friend's sister didnt work out with the ssv fo cos 90% of male fo's are gay?
Is that the voice of experience? :D :wink:

Return to “Employment Forum”