Air Georgian

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

AWOS
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Air Georgian

Post by AWOS »

esp803 wrote:Being likeable.

E

Amen!
---------- ADS -----------

Grey_Wolf
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Grey_Wolf »

NickyNick wrote:I don't use people to get ahead, appears many of you do and that is just morally wrong. I have never had to do that to get jobs I've had in past or my current job, I shouldn't have to either for a 705 FO position.
Nick, a few quick question ...

What is your definition of networking? And how about morality, exploitation, and manipulation?

Just trying to gauge what your perspective is.

"A good traveller has no fixed plan and is not intent on arriving." -Lao Tzu
NickyNick
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by NickyNick »

quote]

Nick, a few quick question ...

What is your definition of networking? And how about morality, exploitation, and manipulation?

Just trying to gauge what your perspective is.[/quote]

They all involve using people to get ahead just for your own interests.

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

andy_mtl
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by andy_mtl »

I m starting to think it's actually "doc" playing a game with everyone , I could see him doing that !

upintheair_
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by upintheair_ »

NickyNick wrote:

They all involve using people to get ahead just for your own interests.

No. Networking is building a "network" of people in your industry. It goes both ways. For example I found my current job through an old pilot friend from school. Didn't hang out much but we knew each other. He knew I was looking for work and pointed me in the right direction. Now in the future if I ever happen to know of something available that he is qualified I will let him know and throw a word in if I can. That's a form of using your network.

"Using" people to get ahead is just that. Using people. And people can see right through if you are just trying to use them to get ahead without any thought towards a business relationship with that person.

I'm surprised that with 3900 hours and years in the industry, you haven't met a few people who know where there is a job that you might be qualified for and can give you a recommendation. My guess is you've burned all your bridges and/or never had any friends in the industry.

aerie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by aerie »

NickyNick wrote:I fairly certain the airlines aren't looking on "hire me".
That is incredibly naive of you.

If you have been experiencing difficulty finding a job up to this point, I can guarantee you just blacklisted yourself everywhere else. Why?

1. You are entitled.
NickyNick wrote:I'm sure I'm well qualified for that position and a sure job offer, still nothing.
2. You are not informed.
NickyNick wrote:(Networking) involve(s) using people to get ahead just for your own interests.
3. You do not understand hiring processes.
NickyNick wrote:That's not listed, please refer me to the "real" requirements. Wish companies would post the "real" requirements.
Above all, your AvCanada posts show an extreme lack of judgement. You say you have difficulty finding a job and you post identifying information about yourself on a public forum. Then you converse arrogantly with fellow aviation professionals, disrespect their opinions, ignore their advice and demonstrate qualities that market you as a poor candidate for hire.

You have revealed enough about yourself that any person in charge of hiring would recognize your resume and shred it immediately.

If you genuinely are not a troll I have one piece of advice for you: Delete all of your posts, retire this account and hope that you have not just ruined your chances of getting hired at an airline.

NickyNick
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by NickyNick »

aerie wrote:

If you have been experiencing difficulty finding a job up to this point, I can guarantee you just blacklisted yourself everywhere else. Why?

1. You are entitled.
NickyNick wrote:I'm sure I'm well qualified for that position and a sure job offer, still nothing.
2. You are not informed.
NickyNick wrote:(Networking) involve(s) using people to get ahead just for your own interests.
NickyNick wrote:That's not listed, please refer me to the "real" requirements. Wish companies would post the "real" requirements.
Above all, your AvCanada posts show an extreme lack of judgement. You say you have difficulty finding a job and you post identifying information about yourself on a public forum. Then you converse arrogantly with fellow aviation professionals, disrespect their opinions, ignore their advice and demonstrate qualities that market you as a poor candidate for hire.

You have revealed enough about yourself that any person in charge of hiring would recognize your resume and shred it immediately.

If you genuinely are not a troll I have one piece of advice for you: Delete all of your posts, retire this account and hope that you have not just ruined your chances of getting hired at an airline.

How have I ruined my chances? I'm asking questions as to why with my time on BE20 isn't good enough for airline. Wish airlines would post what exactly they want new hires to have. I meet all posted requirements.

FL7377
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by FL7377 »

NickyNick wrote:
aerie wrote:

1. You are entitled.
2. You are not informed.

How have I ruined my chances? I'm asking questions as to why with my time on BE20 isn't good enough for airline. Wish airlines would post what exactly they want new hires to have. I meet all posted requirements.
About 3 and a half years ago the airlines sent out a MEMO that BE20 time no longer counts. Didn't you get that Nicky?

short bus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by short bus »

Good lord this is painful...

AirMail
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by AirMail »

FL7377 wrote: About 3 and a half years ago the airlines sent out a MEMO that BE20 time no longer counts. Didn't you get that Nicky?
I remember that memo, luckily a week before that memo I got a 737 job that all my BE20 entitled me to get. Perhaps you should try swamping the larger airlines with your applications and tell them why you rightfully belong there Nicky. Be stern and firm, show them you're captain material. It's what got me the step up from the sweet King air

aerie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by aerie »

NickyNick wrote:How have I ruined my chances? I'm asking questions as to why with my time on BE20 isn't good enough for airline. Wish airlines would post what exactly they want new hires to have. I meet all posted requirements.
I clearly explained above how you are hurting yourself. Did you read my post at all, or have you just chosen to ignore it?

Just because you meet the minimums for a job posting DOES NOT guarantee you an interview. Meeting the minimums means exactly that: You have met the minimums. It does not address a multitude of other qualities that a recruiter would look for.

What makes you stand out, NickyNick? Why are you more qualified than other pilots? Are you passionate about the company you're applying for? Have you tried networking through contacts in the industry? Have you written a personalized cover letter for each company you've applied for? Is your resume professional and thorough? Have you spell checked your work? Have you been spamming your resume to the same recruiters over and over again? Have you tried calling any companies to speak to them about open positions? Have you talked to any pilots at those companies? Have you waited a sufficient amount of time for a response? Have you done anything other than send off an email and then whine on AvCanada about not getting hired?

Emailing your name and the amount of hours you have is going to do nothing for you. No recruiter will give a damn that you have the hours if you seem like you would be a terrible employee. And frankly, from your behaviour on this forum NickyNick you seem like you would not be a smart hire.

Please listen to the experienced professionals you are seeking advice from.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

This is just hilarious. Still waiting for the big reveal as to who's playing a game here.

It's a small industry, and nobody here knows this KA captain with 4000 hours? Unlikely.
In the last 4000 hours, he has zero contacts except for spamming a message board? Unlikely.
4000 hour turboprop skip who desperately wants an FO spot on a 704? Unlikely but not unheard of- but GGN or Evas? Back to very unlikely.

Too many holes in this dude's story from EVERY angle except for one- making it all up.
I'll give a small possibility to have burnt bridges and being unhireable, but fairly unlikely given that nobody seems to know who he is.

So, by process of elimination, who's behind the curtain?

I hope he can prove us all wrong, I feel badly given the small chance he has just had a rough hand dealt, but very, very unlikely.

(PS Can we please change the name of this thread to "Guess! That! Troll!"

Last edited by DanWEC on Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AirMail
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by AirMail »

aerie wrote: Emailing your name and the amount of hours you have is going to do nothing for you. No recruiter will give a damn that you have the hours if you seem like you would be a terrible employee.
What? He is Nicky of 3900hrs BE20, he's well known in the industry now, how could they not hire him?

esp803

Post by esp803 »

Oddly enough, I suspect he is well known now, it's amazing how many people lurk these forums.

On that note, the offer still stands for all the beer you can drink Nicky if you can prove you are in fact a pilot, with 3900 hours give or take.

E

NickyNick
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by NickyNick »

Anyone actually in aviation? I ask a simple question which no one can answer.

esp803

Post by esp803 »

hmmmm maybe... I know I've networked with at least two dozen people on these boards... they were all actual pilots... actually some of them helped me get my last job... and I helped a couple of them get their current jobs...

It's just you who's not in the industry.

E

upintheair_
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by upintheair_ »

DanWEC wrote:This is just hilarious. Still waiting for the big reveal as to who's playing a game here.

It would be quite easy actually. Anyone with admin powers can find the IP that was used when the account was made. 1, they could see if it matched any other IP's from other accounts. And two... I could just quite easily find out the address associated with that IP. You're not as anonymous as you think on the web.

FL7377
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by FL7377 »

upintheair_ wrote:
DanWEC wrote:This is just hilarious. Still waiting for the big reveal as to who's playing a game here.

It would be quite easy actually. Anyone with admin powers can find the IP that was used when the account was made. 1, they could see if it matched any other IP's from other accounts. And two... I could just quite easily find out the address associated with that IP. You're not as anonymous as you think on the web.

AAAAAAAAAAAND upintheair for the win! Nickynick saga = over!

vrefplus5
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vrefplus5 »

Gotta admit it was a good run though. Great entertainment while it lasted.

Return to “Employment Forum”