Orca ad

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: Sulako, North Shore, ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia

Mercator
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Orca ad

Post by Mercator »

How many spots do they have open ?
---------- ADS -----------

human garbage
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by human garbage »

esp803 wrote: well I hope you are making at least minimum wage...
I wouldn't count on using minimum wage in your calculations. Apparently a few years ago they went to a salary based system. From what I understand second hand, it is pretty close to your low estimation on the pay for the high estimation of hours worked.

Its a shame really. Worked for them when they had just two planes (the LZ days). It was a good gig. Sure it was 6 days a week of long days, but I made a bit better than $55k/yr looking back at the T4. Really good considering I had less than 1500TT and was logging tons of MPIC. It was flat rate per duty hour then ($15-16?)

It eventually went to only getting paid for the first four hours and the last four hours of a split duty day plus a nominal day rate (three years ago or so). Then came the salary mentioned above. I still don't understand how paying salary is legal under those conditions. It is meant to only compensate for 40 hours a week not 60-80. Not really up on my labour law so perhaps there is some loophole.

I'd love to hear that my info is dated and it has changed for the better since. Maybe a current driver can confirm or deny...
Anyone know the schedule for a Ho' FO?
If you aren't doing the pax runs then it is standard bag run/courier stuff I think. Show up about 04:30 and back to base about 19:30 was the norm when I was there. Repeat Monday through Friday. The pax runs to YAZ (largely in the summer) were shorter days. In at 11:00 out by 20:00 if you weren't overnighting, which was quite often. Again, this could have changed but I can guarantee the bag runs are the same because that is client driven.

"...flying airplanes is really not all that difficult so it attracts some of the most mentally challenged people in society." - . .

"Baby, stick out your can... 'cause I'm the garbageman"
upintheair_
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by upintheair_ »

esp803 wrote:
upintheair_ wrote: 5-6 days a week... 12-14 hour duty days
So... best case scenario 60 hours of work per week.... worse case scenario 84 hours per week....

well I hope you are making at least minimum wage... that way it would be:

((40*10.25)+(20*15.38))*52= $37,315

and

((40*10.25)+(44*15.38))*52= $56,509

Respectively.

Actually... That's not a bad salary for a first gig.

E
HA!. Yeah right. Try closer to $25000/yr salary. I'd sure love to get paid per hour I work too but I know that will never happen.

fish4life
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by fish4life »

Take a detailed set of everything you worked then take it to the labour board and get every dollar out of them you deserve

V2plus10
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by V2plus10 »

Isn't it in the CARS you may only do 3 consecutive 14 hour days, which must be followed by 24 consecutive hours of rest? (Sorry it's been a while)

upintheair_
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by upintheair_ »

fish4life wrote:Take a detailed set of everything you worked then take it to the labour board and get every dollar out of them you deserve
That's not how it works when you agree to a salary position. Also, why would I burn bridges with a company I actually like working for and a boss who will give me a great reference when it's time to move on?

upintheair_
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by upintheair_ »

V2plus10 wrote:Isn't it in the CARS you may only do 3 consecutive 14 hour days, which must be followed by 24 consecutive hours of rest? (Sorry it's been a while)
Nope.

- No more than 60 hours of FT in any 7 days in a row, 120 in any 30 days.
- 24 consecutive hours 13 times within each 90 consecutive days
- 24 consecutive hours 3 times within each 30 consecutive days
- One period of at least 36 consecutive hours within each 7 consecutive days, or one period of at least 3 calendar days within each 17 consecutive days.

Duty times don't actually have much bearing on rest times. Only "days worked." A day could be 5 hours or 14 hours of duty.

I think... if any of the above is wrong correct me.

skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by skypirate88 »

upintheair_ wrote:
V2plus10 wrote:Isn't it in the CARS you may only do 3 consecutive 14 hour days, which must be followed by 24 consecutive hours of rest? (Sorry it's been a while)
Nope.

- No more than 60 hours of FT in any 7 days in a row, 120 in any 30 days.
- 24 consecutive hours 13 times within each 90 consecutive days
- 24 consecutive hours 3 times within each 30 consecutive days
- One period of at least 36 consecutive hours within each 7 consecutive days, or one period of at least 3 calendar days within each 17 consecutive days.

Duty times don't actually have much bearing on rest times. Only "days worked." A day could be 5 hours or 14 hours of duty.

I think... if any of the above is wrong correct me.
CAR 700.16 (2) Where the flight is conducted under Subpart 4 or 5 using an aircraft other than a helicopter or a DeHavilland DHC-6 aircraft pursuant to the Commercial Air Service Standards, a flight crew member shall receive at least 24 consecutive hours free from flight duty following 3 consecutive flight duty time assignments that exceed 12 consecutive hours unless the flight crew member has received at least 24 consecutive hours free from flight duty between each flight duty time assignment

This applies to 704/705 operations. I assume Orca operates under part 3, meaning their pilots don't have this protection.

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere
FL7377
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by FL7377 »

Bag runs are split duty days. Most average 8-12 hours of actual duty time, with several hours off in the middle of the day for rest.

upintheair_
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by upintheair_ »

Yes you are correct they are 703. As is the operation I fly for. I'm only really up to date and keep track on the regs that apply to me hence why I missed that. Good to know though.

blueoval56
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by blueoval56 »

Orca better have one, or better yet, two spare Navajo's for these runs for the constant break downs in the Alberta winter. Those machines do not like being run hard in the morning, let sit to freeze in the middle of the day, then run hard again at night. Five days a week.

You can't fix stupid.
Johnny#5
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Johnny#5 »

Last edited by Johnny#5 on Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
human garbage
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by human garbage »

fish4life wrote:Take a detailed set of everything you worked then take it to the labour board and get every dollar out of them you deserve
No that advice is too sensible. Some would just rather get the shaft, lower the bar for everyone after them, and degrade our profession even further. But hey, its all worth it to get a good reference right? :roll:

Back on topic, I don't know how well this Alberta venture is going to work for Orca. The last time a west coast 703 operator went to YYC they had their ass whipped by TC in PNR. It will probably happen like that again... History tends to repeat itself in 703 unfortunately.

"...flying airplanes is really not all that difficult so it attracts some of the most mentally challenged people in society." - . .

"Baby, stick out your can... 'cause I'm the garbageman"
fish4life
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by fish4life »

upintheair_ wrote:
That's not how it works when you agree to a salary position. Also, why would I burn bridges with a company I actually like working for and a boss who will give me a great reference when it's time to move on?
Actually salary or not OT must be paid unless you are management, as for burning bridges that's only if your treated fairly companies that don't pay minimum wage hardly deserve respect. Come back at them for all the hours owed after you get a job somewhere else if you want then they can't say anything. These are for federally regulated workers and you would fall into the system of averaging hours which I have also added the link for showing that you are entitled to OT and minimum wage. It's about time these companies start paying properly.

http://www.labour.gc.ca/eng/standards_e ... l#hoursmax
http://www.labour.gc.ca/eng/resources/ipg/053.shtml

Johnny#5
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Johnny#5 »

This can be exceeded in exceptional circumstances including permits, for emergency work, under an averaging plan or a modified work schedule.
There are loopholes and grey areas everywhere, just like the CARs

currysonic
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by currysonic »

upintheair_ wrote:
esp803 wrote:
upintheair_ wrote: 5-6 days a week... 12-14 hour duty days
So... best case scenario 60 hours of work per week.... worse case scenario 84 hours per week....

well I hope you are making at least minimum wage... that way it would be:

((40*10.25)+(20*15.38))*52= $37,315

and

((40*10.25)+(44*15.38))*52= $56,509

Respectively.

Actually... That's not a bad salary for a first gig.

E
HA!. Yeah right. Try closer to $25000/yr salary. I'd sure love to get paid per hour I work too but I know that will never happen.
Still a decent starting salary. Definitely more than what I make haha! There are always worse places to be just gotta keep the blue side up ;P

brooks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by brooks »

Orca taking on Alberta bank runs :lol:

Good luck flying your coastal rain soaked hoe's in -35 degrees.
No king airs to save you there. $$$ Have fun Orca.

upintheair_
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by upintheair_ »

Ontario has been running Hos in neg 35 for years. Seems top work fine and be a staple in the local area.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Only one of the current bag runs splits the day. No idea about the upcoming ones
- One period of at least 36 consecutive hours within each 7 consecutive days, or one period of at least 3 calendar days within each 17 consecutive days

Thats 704..

Also, IIRC there is an ops spec to operate to 150hrs FT in 30 consecutive days for many operators in 703. I think they have it too.

I don't see them having any issues operating in YYC. Both the 703 and 704 CP spent the bulk of their long careers operating pistons in the territories and are more than capable of setting it up..

FOD_Vacuum
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FOD_Vacuum »

Anyone know what Orca pays their PA31 captains and flight crew on the Metro or Beech 99?

Return to “Employment Forum”