Jazz or sky regional

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

domino
Rank 1
Rank 1

Jazz or sky regional

Post by domino »

In the pool at Jazz but have an interview with Sky Regional. Wondering if given a choice which would be better. No kids, no wife, and don't really care which city I end up in. Just need a change. (currently north of 60) atpl and about 1200hrs right seat on the dash
---------- ADS -----------

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Jazz or sky regional

Post by pelmet »

Why don't you just do the Sky interview and then see what comes first. If it is Sky, then ask if you can wait for a while for whatever truthful(but not necessarily telling all reason) so you can still go to Jazz. Based on what I have heard, Jazz has a better quality of life. If Jazz bumps you out of the pool, then go to Sky.

AvExpress
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AvExpress »

check PM domino

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Would you rather be the 80% or the 20%?

You have 1200 hours so I can't even believe we're even having this conversation. Good thing you were born in the correct year. Be sure to thank your parents. At 1200 hours the grease pole presented me with september 11th, then EI, then the night shift as a labourer, before finally giving me the opportunity to borrow 6 grand for my instructor rating and make 12k a year.

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

co-joe wrote:Would you rather be the 80% or the 20%?

You have 1200 hours so I can't even believe we're even having this conversation. Good thing you were born in the correct year. Be sure to thank your parents. At 1200 hours the grease pole presented me with september 11th, then EI, then the night shift as a labourer, before finally giving me the opportunity to borrow 6 grand for my instructor rating and make 12k a year.
Read again, that's 1200hrs of dash time

nightbird
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by nightbird »

co-joe wrote:Would you rather be the 80% or the 20%?
New hires are not part of the PML if that's what you're referring to, so it really makes no difference now.

After the PML is exhausted it will be 80% from all aircanada express carriers. Money wise I don't think you're making any more money at Jazz compared to the other two with the new contract but I could be mistaken.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Oh sorry. I don't RTFQ that well friday afternoon.
So which sideways move should I take?
What's the end goal? AC? WJ? Tianjin Airlines?

What does not part of the PML mean? The 80% is only existing Jazz employees? Or are you saying after the pool is drained, 80% starts?

Last edited by co-joe on Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Johnny#5
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Johnny#5 »

do interview, then decide if offered both...

upintheair_
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by upintheair_ »

co-joe wrote:Oh sorry. I don't RTFQ that well friday afternoon.
So which sideways move should I take?
What's the end goal? AC? WJ? Tianjin Airlines?

What does not part of the PML mean? The 80% is only existing Jazz employees? Or are you saying after the pool is drained, 80% starts?
Once the current PML is exhausted a new system will be implemented. The PML was brought in to help get rid of higher paid pilots and help them transition to AC. The agreement is that %80 of AC's hires come from the Jazz PML. Once it's empty there will be a new agreement including all Express carriers.

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

upintheair_ wrote:Once it's empty there will be a new agreement including all Express carriers.
That sounds like something they are saying to replace all the high paid Jazz pilot's, then when the ac express carriers are fat with low paid pilot's again, they will pull the rug from your feet. Nothing like a guarantee that can be worth toilet paper when it's no longer financially viable. My thought being why take a low paid express guy that's already cost-cutting to only train him/her at AC level, and also pay for their replacement cost at the cpa level. Seems illogical to me when you could just outside hire someone and place the replacement costs on another company instead. Say the competition like Encore. I don't think the airline managers are that nice. They are going to do what makes financial sense at the end of the day. But they will guarantee you the world at the moment to get you to fall for the system and replace all these high time guys. I personally think as soon as the financial equation settles a bit with these high time jazz guys retiring/going to ac, this promise they gave you will backfire. But that's just speculation based on how dirty airline executives usually are.

So to answer your question, I would take Sky Regional. It gets you into the jets (even if Q400 at first it will be 1 or 2 years). Then you can consider AC/WJ/Transat/Sunwing when the time comes. And if no one bites, you have the world as an option. Minus places that ask for 50 tonnes or above jet time, most places these days will hire you with anything greater than 50 seats/20 tonnes jet time.

Plus I haven't heard of a single F/O that isn't pulling at least 50k/yr at Sky. But you do work hard for it. 80+ hours. So if that's your cup of tea, then giv'er

Return to “Employment Forum”