Theoredical Scenario

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

upintheair_
Rank 5
Rank 5

Theoredical Scenario

Post by upintheair_ »

deleted
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by upintheair_ on Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shibby
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Theoredical Scenario

Post by Shibby »

I think this topic has been beat to a pulp on other threads, you'll probably get a bunch arguing how the way they did it is essentially the only way the man upstairs meant it to be.

To keep it brief, I think the regionals would value the experience like so:

Right Seat twin turbine > Right Seat twin Piston
Left Seat Twin Piston ( scheduled/charter type operation ) > Right Seat twin turbine ( Below 12 500lbs )

MPIC never hurts, and sometimes required for Left Seat twin turbine. PIC helps for your As. If the hiring frenzy keeps up, just get your As and some good war stories, the phone will surely ring.

Whatever you do, enjoy the ride.

esp803

Post by esp803 »

A better question is why would you want to go to the regionals?

E

upintheair_
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by upintheair_ »

esp803 wrote:A better question is why would you want to go to the regionals?

E
Until I feel otherwise I have a certain progression in my head of how I plan to progress in my career. If I ever get an opportunity to do something different and feel like I would enjoy it and it would allow me the lifestyle I want then that might change. Corporate is always in the back of my mind as well.

upintheair_
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by upintheair_ »

deleted

Last edited by upintheair_ on Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sky_Conqueror
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sky_Conqueror »

Greetings all. In regards to the MPIC. Many carriers will take MPIC over thousand hour sing engine candidates regardless if its piston or turboprop. But, with what is going on at the moment, i've seen the exceptions grow in number. 100 MPIC is usually the magic number key to get through the door of the bigger turbo prop operators. 500MPIC is the ideal number for access to a Captain's seat. According to a few sources, 500MPIC and above are beginning to be harder to find right now.

Speaking of trend and to try to get back on track, TC has delivered very few ATPL's this year compared to previous years. It kind of goes parallel to what I was saying about the higher experienced guys being more scarce.

Changes in Latitudes
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Changes in Latitudes »

Shit old me, wishes he would have told young me:
I like that you think a single employment choice is going to wrap up your career in a neat, tidy package where the lollipop ferries sprinkle moon dust on your rosy cheeks each morning.

Go enjoy yourself, choose an adventure, go for lifestyle, experience the world and play. Come back with some stories to tell. Whatever you think you're chasing isn't actually there and wherever it is that you're going, you're going to end up there without all of this 800 hour bullshit soul searching. Stop worrying so goddamned much it will all work out nicely.
For what it's worth, I ended up with a really decent career and my choices weren't always avcanada home runs.

AirMail
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by AirMail »

avcanada isn't really the best place to get career advice. Live the life you want or think best, not what some twit on here thinks. Like Changes said, go out and live life, have fun. Those regionals and airlines will always be there, and with ever increasing desperation. If you're young this is the time to be in aviation, enjoy it. That said, MPIC will always be king, something to fall back on.

esp803

Post by esp803 »

My cynicism aside,

When I got my PPL I was certain that I never wanted to do this as a career.

Then I spent my 19th birthday gliding and fell back in love with it, signed up for Selkirk college the next day

When I was working towards my CPL I was certain that I wanted to fly corporate jets, %*&^ the airlines

Once I had my commercial license in hand I was certain I wanted to fly bush planes in Africa

I attempted that, it didn't work out.

I got back to Canada and I was certain I wanted to instruct (I do love teaching)

It Didn't work.

I got offered a job on a 206 on wheels, certain that I would never fly floats.

My company offered to throw me on the float planes for the season if I got the rating.

Got my float rating and was certain that float flying was going to be my life.

Got offered a job as an F/O in my hometown, making decent money for an F/O, was certain this was going to be the "be all and end all" of my career

Turns out it wasn't

Went back to flying floats, was certain I could live happily my entire life working for this operation seasonally

Got offered a job flying floats in Asia, Was certain I could pay off my house in 3 years if I stuck it out

Wasn't happy

Have a new job, that I'm happy at, and the only thing I'm now certain of is that this career is not easy to plan, it's full of adventure, and that Chasing the lifestyle I want over the last few years has "put me behind" some of my colleagues in terms of size and speed of aircraft, but MILES ahead in memories and enjoyment of life. To each their own, but I suggest going out there, trying new things and find something that for you is not considered work. Don't worry about the end game, what ever it is will happen, just enjoy this amazing career and everything that it has to offer, try not to settle for shit wages and working conditions and it will all work out in the end.

E

AvExpress
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AvExpress »

Well said esp. Like you, myself and many other have had what they thought as a solid career plan (path), only for it to take them on a completely different venture. As the saying goes. It's not about the destination, but about the journey.

As you can see upintheair, there's a common theme in this thread, and likely anyone you talk to.

iamnomaverick
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by iamnomaverick »

"Multi-pic, multi-pic, multi-pic." Best advice I haver ever gotten.

You always have to think about "plan B"... What happens if the whole regional airlines hiring is just a bubble and 6 months down the road we have hundreds of Dash-8 and RJ co-pilots looking for work in the 703 world again ? Who will get jobs ? I am sure having plenty of PIC and multi-PIC time would put your resume right at top of the pile.
Aviation is a very volatile industry, so make sure all your ducks are lined up (as in having quality experience and time in your logbook)for the inevitable downturn.

upintheair_
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by upintheair_ »

deleted

Last edited by upintheair_ on Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
upintheair_
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by upintheair_ »

iamnomaverick wrote:"Multi-pic, multi-pic, multi-pic." Best advice I haver ever gotten.

You always have to think about "plan B"... What happens if the whole regional airlines hiring is just a bubble and 6 months down the road we have hundreds of Dash-8 and RJ co-pilots looking for work in the 703 world again ? Who will get jobs ? I am sure having plenty of PIC and multi-PIC time would put your resume right at top of the pile.
Aviation is a very volatile industry, so make sure all your ducks are lined up (as in having quality experience and time in your logbook)for the inevitable downturn.
Thanks for the advice.

CropDuster
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CropDuster »

My advice to you, upintheair, is not to get fired...

upintheair_
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by upintheair_ »

deleted

Return to “Employment Forum”