Voyageur Airways Wawcon and bonds

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

flythatwing
Rank 2
Rank 2

Voyageur Airways Wawcon and bonds

Post by flythatwing »

Hi,

Does anyone know if Voyaguer still requires the upfront bond or if they have switched it over to promissory type ?

What's the pay (and per dimes) and schedule like for 705 FOs? hrs flown per year on the international side ? UN work tax exceptions situation ? What are the average upgrade times say you come in with 2000 hrs, 1000 MPIC and 500ish TMPIC ?

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

JoeShmoe
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Voyageur Airways Wawcon and bonds

Post by JoeShmoe »

Before someone says don't we have enough flame wars/forums about voyageur, I also have all of the same questions. Yes I've looked through all the previous forums, entertaining, but not so informative.

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

I think it is ten cents per dime :lol:
Thanks folks, I am here all night. Try the lamb.

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

I think it is ten cents per dime :lol:
Thanks folks, I am here all night. Try the lamb.

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

Haha Johnny, it was so funny you had to say it twice? Lol

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

Sometimes I stutter. Should hear me on the radio!

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

PM Me

Bolter
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Bolter »

flythatwing wrote:Hi,

Does anyone know if Voyaguer still requires the upfront bond or if they have switched it over to promissory type ?

What's the pay (and per dimes) and schedule like for 705 FOs? hrs flown per year on the international side ? UN work tax exceptions situation ? What are the average upgrade times say you come in with 2000 hrs, 1000 MPIC and 500ish TMPIC ?

Thanks
Still upfront - prorated.
$40K first year/6 months overseas. Normally possible to work more if you want.
OETC is dead.
Upgrade depends on your performance, aircraft type & movement/# of Capts leaving (+ having an ATPL) more so than hours. Good performance (initial course, line checks, annual reports, sim rides, recommendations from the field, etc) expect an upgrade in 1-2 years depending on movement in the Company. I have seen Dash FOs moved to left seat in 1 yr. Note; company will train a # of FOs left seat, give them 4 bars, but not "release" them (i.e. pay as Capt) until an official Capt slot opens (didn't make the policy & don't agree with it so don't yell at me). It is a "flexibility" measure to cope with outflows.
Upgrade on Dash-8 is quicker than CRJ. Companies stated policy is to move/upgrade Dash Capts to CRJ Capts so harder to move up on CRJ. Stated policy is that some CRJ FOs will be offered Dash Capt if performance is good/to upgrade.
Very little Dash-7 work these days/heard the fleet may be retired/sold. Also rumour that VAL is possibly trying to use (i.e. bidding with) some surplus Chorus Dash-8 100s.

Lots of people leaving right now, so lots of seat swapping/training going on.

Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Kosiw »

Is the bond pro-rated now :?:

Gravity always wins
Bolter
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Bolter »

Was always pro-rated, in that if you leave after 6 months you get 50% back, 11 months 11/12ths back, etc.

flythatwing
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flythatwing »

Bolter wrote:
flythatwing wrote:Hi,

Thanks
Still upfront - prorated.
$40K first year/6 months overseas. Normally possible to work more if you want.
OETC is dead.
Upgrade depends on your performance, aircraft type & movement/# of Capts leaving (+ having an ATPL) more so than hours. Good performance (initial course, line checks, annual reports, sim rides, recommendations from the field, etc) expect an upgrade in 1-2 years depending on movement in the Company. I have seen Dash FOs moved to left seat in 1 yr. Note; company will train a # of FOs left seat, give them 4 bars, but not "release" them (i.e. pay as Capt) until an official Capt slot opens (didn't make the policy & don't agree with it so don't yell at me). It is a "flexibility" measure to cope with outflows.
Upgrade on Dash-8 is quicker than CRJ. Companies stated policy is to move/upgrade Dash Capts to CRJ Capts so harder to move up on CRJ. Stated policy is that some CRJ FOs will be offered Dash Capt if performance is good/to upgrade.
Very little Dash-7 work these days/heard the fleet may be retired/sold. Also rumour that VAL is possibly trying to use (i.e. bidding with) some surplus Chorus Dash-8 100s.

Lots of people leaving right now, so lots of seat swapping/training going on.

Thank you for the great info. This all sounds great but I have a very hard rule regarding upfront bonds. it is a big No No no me. Other than that this sounds like a great opportunity.

Bolter
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Bolter »

VAL isn't for everyone but for those who want the experience and can handle/enjoy rotations, it isn't a bad gig. I understand the bond issue. FWIW the money is held in trust in a CIBC GIC (I think). Returned at end of the year with the interest.
Experience levels are falling for FOs (my opinion) as there are a # of FOs coming in off single pilot IFR machines (Navaho), right seat King Air & some Caravan drivers with Africa time.
End of OETC sucks! That said, lots of folks are going non-resident while they work for VAL. With the rotation schedule easily done if you don't have significant ties to Canuckistan (spouse, kids, etc).

garfield
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by garfield »

Do they plan to hire FO's in the next few months? I sended a resume in june and no answer.

Boreas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Boreas »

Bolter, is there an initial GS running at the moment? Anything scheduled for the next couple of months?

Bolter
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Bolter »

I heard there is a course on but that is only rumour as YYB doesn't tell us what is up unless we run across the training staff at the sim.
I also heard of 3 Dash Capts being offered the CRJ course, which would imply that there will be openings on the 8 - again only rumour/might have lost a 8 contract or be fat on that aircraft (know of at least 2 Dash Capts leaving so expect VAL will have to train some FOs).

Boreas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Boreas »

Thanks for the info.

It's a shame there isn't more DHC7 work...

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

Would appear that at least two of the 7's have been parked for a while as the windows and doors have been taped up for long term storage.

Anyone know if ground schools have been announced ?

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

Bolter wrote:VAL isn't for everyone but for those who want the experience and can handle/enjoy rotations, it isn't a bad gig. I understand the bond issue. FWIW the money is held in trust in a CIBC GIC (I think). Returned at end of the year with the interest.
Experience levels are falling for FOs (my opinion) as there are a # of FOs coming in off single pilot IFR machines (Navaho), right seat King Air & some Caravan drivers with Africa time.
End of OETC sucks! That said, lots of folks are going non-resident while they work for VAL. With the rotation schedule easily done if you don't have significant ties to Canuckistan (spouse, kids, etc).

So while your are working in Africa, you are still paying Canadian taxes???(OETC)

Spokes
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Spokes »

flyinhigh wrote:
Bolter wrote:VAL isn't for everyone but for those who want the experience and can handle/enjoy rotations, it isn't a bad gig. I understand the bond issue. FWIW the money is held in trust in a CIBC GIC (I think). Returned at end of the year with the interest.

So while your are working in Africa, you are still paying Canadian taxes???(OETC)
Yes, working outside of Canada does not necessarily mean you don't pay Canadian taxes. There no longer is an OETC. It was good for about 15k$ off my taxes when I was working in Asia (or so).

Wahunga!
eastpilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by eastpilot »

Sadly, half a dozen pilots have been laid-off due to lack of contracts! A terrible thing to happen to those crews any time, but right before the holidays is a real cherry on top!

Return to “Employment Forum”