Resumes tip #5835

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Resumes tip #5835

Post by Shiny Side Up »

When emailing a resume, check and double check the attachments you're sending. When your email says "please find my resume attached" your attachment should be a resume. Not your phone bill.

That is all.
---------- ADS -----------

We can't stop here! This is BAT country!
ehbuddy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Resumes tip #5835

Post by ehbuddy »

A bunch of years ago my buddy had his wife type up his resume' for Cathay Pacific. During his interview one of the board members picked up his resume' and asked who 'Cathy' was.............

On the positive side they all had a chuckle and he did get the job.

Confliction
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Confliction »

:rolleyes: can't believe he got hired...must have had a helluva sim ride!

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Resume tip #5835?
No pilot shall attach a picture of himself wearing a ginger toupee
Thank you for reminding us but I'm not sure how that's relevant to our present situation. I think you meant #5837.

tipsails
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tipsails »

Tip #5846

Don't regurgitate your resume points in your cover letter. Use the letter to sell yourself as a person.

Tip #1002

ALWAYS... and I mean ALWAYS send your resume as .PDF... zero excuses.

Tip #5649

Try to keep your resume to one page, make it easy to read and omit things that aren't really needed. Keep it brief. All a resume is there for is to get them to offer you an interview. That's where you can expand on what you wrote.

scopiton
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by scopiton »

Confliction wrote::rolleyes: can't believe he got hired...must have had a helluva sim ride!
Or they understood than even qualified pilots can do a typo from time to time. After all you're not interviewing for a secretary position.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Regarding the cover letter reflecting the resume- I had my resume done, and the first paragraph now is a short breakdown of the hours, with the following paragraphs just short descriptions of my work history. It's very similar to glancing at the resume itself, just in a narrative format. All my shameless self-promotional hyperbole was removed.

tipsails
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tipsails »

Sounds good, mine is similar. Just brief points on my qualifications, and more detail is in the resume section. No need for hyperbole, however I'm a fan of trying to outline how your experience will be relate able to the job you're applying for. That in itself will touch slightly on your resume points which I think is OK.

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

Interesting comments, I would like to gently remind you all that every CP at every company gets dozens of resumes every day. These will take some amount of time out of a busy CP's day. I'll put money on the decision to read past the first paragraph of your cover letter, to just decide to read the rest of your resume, taking about 15 seconds. Why would you expect anyone to take any longer?

There are steps in the hiring process (generally, it can vary) but basically it won't even begin unless your resume is read. So right off the bat (sorry) it must be presentable, easily readable and the CP doesn't have to search through reams of "I've wanted to be a pilot ever since I saw that F18 at the airshows at age ten..." or similar to find out that you are asking for a job.

All that other touchy-feely stuff can come out in an interview. That's where they get to know you and you get to decide if you can commit to working there for a while. This is the next step in the process that will never occur if your resume is not readable.

Here is a little game to play game for you to play to illustrate my point. You are all internet savvy, how long do you take to read a posting that has no capital letters, uses the wrong tense, is peppered with useless "8^)" or equivalent? How quickly does it take you to assign a quick judgemental label? To toss their ideas, no matter how good or original and move on to the next post because it's too hard to read?

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

xsbank wrote:Interesting comments, I would like to gently remind you all that every CP at every company gets dozens of resumes every day. These will take some amount of time out of a busy CP's day. I'll put money on the decision to read past the first paragraph of your cover letter, to just decide to read the rest of your resume, taking about 15 seconds. Why would you expect anyone to take any longer?

There are steps in the hiring process (generally, it can vary) but basically it won't even begin unless your resume is read. So right off the bat (sorry) it must be presentable, easily readable and the CP doesn't have to search through reams of "I've wanted to be a pilot ever since I saw that F18 at the airshows at age ten..." or similar to find out that you are asking for a job.

All that other touchy-feely stuff can come out in an interview. That's where they get to know you and you get to decide if you can commit to working there for a while. This is the next step in the process that will never occur if your resume is not readable.

Here is a little game to play game for you to play to illustrate my point. You are all internet savvy, how long do you take to read a posting that has no capital letters, uses the wrong tense, is peppered with useless "8^)" or equivalent? How quickly does it take you to assign a quick judgemental label? To toss their ideas, no matter how good or original and move on to the next post because it's too hard to read?
Tl;dr

:wink:

Seriously, good post though !

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Oh I agree entirely! Especially in the 703's.

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

Sorry, what is Tl;dr?

"What's it doing now?"
stef
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by stef »

Never save the email address of the company you're applying to to your contacts list. That way you can avoid sending them the viruses you contract! :)

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

Pilots never get viruses, that's a myth...

"What's it doing now?"
jschnurr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jschnurr »

xsbank wrote:Sorry, what is Tl;dr?
"too long, didn't read."

Literally translates to: That was too long to read.
Really translates to: I'm too lazy to read the entirety of what you said, but I still want to say something.

vrefplus5
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vrefplus5 »

Xs..."right off the bat". Shameful pun but my chuckle for the morning. Thanks.

vrefplus5
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vrefplus5 »

Xs..."right off the bat". Shameful pun but my chuckle for the morning. Thanks.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Resume tip #8675309:

If presently employed, have that job listed as "Start date - Present" so nobody thinks you've been let go from the job.

Resume tip #8675309b:

If you started and ended in the same calendar year, consider including the month. "Rampie at Schitt's Creek Air 2015-2015" could be a day on the job or 364.

Return to “Employment Forum”