Georgian CRJ YYZ

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Georgian CRJ YYZ

Post by dhc# »

Then when will the single RJ payscale change.....when the supply of pilots dries up, or are things in the works now to make improvements to the wawcon ?

With the projected RJ growth for 2016 the planes are arriving but are the crews ?
---------- ADS -----------

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

I don't have any proof but I swear they are getting guys from overseas to fly the RJ. All kinds of different accents on the radio when I hear GGN flights. No so with other Canadian companies.

Let’s Go Brandon
nightbird
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by nightbird »

Inverted2 wrote:I don't have any proof but I swear they are getting guys from overseas to fly the RJ. All kinds of different accents on the radio when I hear GGN flights. No so with other Canadian companies.
There are a bunch of different nationalities at Georgian but they are all Canadian Citizens (naturalized) or permanent residents

awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by awitzke »

Inverted2 wrote:I don't have any proof but I swear they are getting guys from overseas to fly the RJ. All kinds of different accents on the radio when I hear GGN flights. No so with other Canadian companies.
I work with all kinds of different nationalities. Come fly in NW Ontario, you'll hear multiple Indian accents, French, one Italian guy (I think, couldnt' place the accent but that's my best guess).

I work with two French guys, both of whom moved to Canada to do their training and settle here permanently. Just because they have an accent doesn't mean they are here to work a year or two then leave. Many pilots in Canada come from other countries, do their training here then get jobs and end up settling as a resident or citizen.

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

who was the president who signed this pm if necessary

atpilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by atpilot »

Has anyone heard of there being a CRJ ground school late February or early March?

RWETHRYET
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by RWETHRYET »

One starts next Monday and another the last Monday of the month

Instructor_Mike
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Instructor_Mike »

It's hard to believe I would need to take such a pay cut from a 703 to go to Georgian.

$29,669/year for entry FO? Ouch

AirMail
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by AirMail »

But they have jets, why wouldn't you!?

Kingair200
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Kingair200 »

anyone has any idea how the interview like ??

thanks for any input!!

nightbird
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by nightbird »

Instructor_Mike wrote:It's hard to believe I would need to take such a pay cut from a 703 to go to Georgian.

$29,669/year for entry FO? Ouch
You don't have to, but if you always apply the same logic you woud never advance. Unfortunately that's the reality of this industry, I took a pay cut from instructing to 703 and again to 705 but always moved to a better job according to my own opinion. I gladly take a pay cut to move away from Sioux Lookout and potentially make more money in the future, every time the top income has increased. If you decide to stay there and you're happy that's great... but it's not for everyone.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

For those that feel that entry level pay at some (most?) of the 705 operators is too low, then vote with your feet and do not apply. This problem is not isolated to GGN and manifests itself at several other carriers that have a current high demand for new-hire pilots.

The only way to change the operators paradigm that new-hires are a cost saving tool is to have an applicant drawer that is empty. Don't worry, eventually one will blink and then the rest will have to follow suit.....or cancel flights.

Instructor_Mike
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Instructor_Mike »

What's sad is that I'm making more than 30K/year as an FO in a 703 turbo prop job. I would be taking a pay cut from entry level to go entry level.

I don't know how the per diems work so maybe they pay out enough to make it sort of worth it?

I've been kinda debating myself on if I should stick it out up here, go Captain and pay down a bunch of debt at the risk of getting used to the new pay rate vs getting the hell out of the north.

We had frost the last 2 mornings. ugh.

nightbird
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by nightbird »

Actually we block around 85h a month, way more if you want to do overtime... that's almost $39k a year plus $5k in perdiems, just giving you the facts.

Captains make around $75k with some making more than a 100k with a crazy amount of overtime.

It's not perfect but it's definitely not a pay cut from 30k and the job is a lot easier than any 703 job up north.. or so I think.

atpilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by atpilot »

nightbird wrote:Actually we block around 85h a month, way more if you want to do overtime... that's almost $39k a year plus $5k in perdiems, just giving you the facts.

Captains make around $75k with some making more than a 100k with a crazy amount of overtime.

It's not perfect but it's definitely not a pay cut from 30k and the job is a lot easier than any 703 job up north.. or so I think.
Just to add... I've met some pretty great people that work there.

NickyNick
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by NickyNick »

nightbird wrote:Actually we block around 85h a month, way more if you want to do overtime... that's almost $39k a year plus $5k in perdiems, just giving you the facts.

What is the lookout for when hiring will begin again? I'd love to take a pay cut to get out of the dirty reserves but there's been no hiring at the regionals.

sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sstaurus »

NickyNick wrote: What is the lookout for when hiring will begin again? I'd love to take a pay cut to get out of the dirty reserves but there's been no hiring at the regionals.
I wouldn't count on it, hiring is at a standstill everywhere. I don't foresee WJ or AC hiring for at least another 10 years.

iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by iflyroads »

sstaurus wrote:
NickyNick wrote: What is the lookout for when hiring will begin again? I'd love to take a pay cut to get out of the dirty reserves but there's been no hiring at the regionals.
I wouldn't count on it, hiring is at a standstill everywhere. I don't foresee WJ or AC hiring for at least another 10 years.

Yeah and with passenger loads at an all time low I don't see any hope. Might have to consider a change in industry.

x15
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by x15 »

Am I missing something? AC was running two ground schools a month because they need 300+ guys. Standstill? Whatchu talkin 'bout Willis.... LOL

x15
Skin, Tin, Ticket...In that order.
fruitloops
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fruitloops »

Info - btw - GGN has hired over 100 pilots in past 7-8 months - SkyRegional a ton too - > NickyNick not included of course, he's got too much PIC time :) to make it on a regional

Attachments
regionals1.JPG
regionals1.JPG (101.27 KiB) Viewed 4946 times

Return to “Employment Forum”