Porter or Air Georgian

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Porter or Air Georgian

Post by goingnowherefast »

mbav8r wrote:
goingnowherefast wrote:Go fly for Jazz if you want to be forced out of your base and your home town, selling out new hires for the PML, low starting pay, the list goes on

You'd have to be a little simple to not realize the cause of everything you listed, the base was closed because all of the Jet flying out of YYZ is being transferred to GGN and SR, the new contract you mentioned, same cause. We had NO leverage, if we said no what do you think would have happened?
SR pilots better be careful, if you get too costly, well we all know what happens!
That was the point of my argument. Vast majority of it is petty BS that individual employees have little say over. Instead of pretending certain people are holier than thou, insulting and generally being immature, everybody should work together. Jazz pilots may have one of the better contracts with AC, but instead of insulting fellow pilots, fellow AC Express pilots, work together so SR, GGN, EVAS and Jazz can have improved and more equal WAWCON.

At the end of the day it's all controlled by Air Canada, either directly or indirectly. Air Canada isn't making their regional carriers look very appealing.

There's also other options to the Air Canada system. Porter for example, as discussed in this thread.
---------- ADS -----------

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

sstaurus wrote:It seems to me because of the state of the industry right now the guys getting into 705 these days are so young they don't know what a 705 job should offer. They are either still living with their parents or just moved out and are so happy to just be on a big shiny plane they'll accept any conditions given to them. In general all pilots need to be asking more from their employers...At my own employer I'm still surprised what guys/girls will lay down and take since they still have stars in their eyes. I guess it will just take some time until lifestyle starts to become more important..
Lets see. A stable schedule which I know a month before, a union that has my back, benefits (pretty damn good ones too), flight passes, multiple bases and aircraft to choose from and quick progression with one year upgrades or a few years to AC if that's what I choose (and get hired). All while making more than I was in 703 and no longer living in a town of 10000 people.

Some of us tend to look at the glass half full rather than sitting around complaining about the state of the industry. By the time the complainers are done complaining I'll be sitting in a left seat, flying to interesting destinations, not hucking bags or rolling drums all while living in the city I grew up in and building a life outside of work. Sounds good to me, and exactly the "lifestyle" you talk about.

It's funny, for all the bashing and complaining I see here online I hear none of it from the multiple pilots I meet daily that have been here for years (some 25-30+). Not one so far has said they do not enjoy working here. The new hires within the last 1-2 years on this new "terrible" payscale as AvCanada puts it also say good things. Lots of them in training now getting upgrades so life can't be all that bad.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

A leading 705 regional is better than 703, that's pretty low expectations. Also, the job you are doing now used to pay ~7 grand a year more.

Some people like living in a town with 10,000 people, different strokes for different folks.

I know Jazz is a good company, but I'm getting a bit tired of people saying it is what I and everybody should want in life. There are tons of reasons that people don't want to work at Jazz, or any regional. If I had a gun to my head and had to work at a regional, I'd pick Porter or Jazz. However that's me, everyone has their own individual choices to make.

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

Ok

Return to “Employment Forum”