Come On TRANSWEST...Be Realistic!

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Sky_Conqueror
Rank 3
Rank 3

Come On TRANSWEST...Be Realistic!

Post by Sky_Conqueror »

Greetings All,

I hope all is good for you guys. Just wanted to share my uttermost frustration towards TRANSWEST with their new F/O post. Lets be realistic................how many guys do you guys think have a goddamn Saab340 PPC these days in Canada! I can only think of 2 and a half companies that have/had Saabs in our country: Transwest, Pacific Coastal, Ex-Calm Air Saabs. For one thing...I think most of the Calm Air guys have either been switched to ATR's or have been reabsorbed into other regionals. The only flow I could see that are PPCed are Pasco people with their seasonal thing. Any thoughts on this F/O PPC post. Kind of screws up the possible flow of hiring
---------- ADS -----------

Changes in Latitudes
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Come On TRANSWEST...Be Realistic!

Post by Changes in Latitudes »

How upset are you going to be when I tell you I sent a resume in and offered to buy the PPC since it was part of their requirement? This industry rewards those who go the extra mile.

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

Or is they still think it's a "legit" way to get a cheap TFW?

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

I thought the same thing, who has a valid SF340 TR and wants to move over to Transwest of all places?
They only take F/O's from the ramp, and they're not unionized as to require external ad postings for everything.... I wonder what their angle is here. I hope it's not TFW'ing.

CPLMike89
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by CPLMike89 »

Changes in Latitudes wrote:How upset are you going to be when I tell you I sent a resume in and offered to buy the PPC since it was part of their requirement? This industry rewards those who go the extra mile.
I match your offer and raise you an unpaid ground school, see you in the flight levels chumps.

Sky_Conqueror
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sky_Conqueror »

Well...in the direction they're going...it can all be negative in the sense pointing to TFW or a payed PPC. Nevertheless...damn it....even the minimum requirements don't make sense.

1000 Hours...with 500 Multi....and 150PIC....WTF.

Something in the lines of 1800, 500Multi and 250PIC yeah ok.

I almost feel compelled to apply anonymously and to mark on the cover letter that I'd be ready to pay for a PPC. And wish them good luck finding someone with 500 Multi, a VALID PPC, ready to go for 32 000$ a year AND someone who is not already in one of those Jazz, Encore, GGN, Skyregional pool with that kind of Multi time lol.

PointyEngine
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by PointyEngine »

Changes in Latitudes wrote:How upset are you going to be when I tell you I sent a resume in and offered to buy the PPC since it was part of their requirement? This industry rewards those who go the extra mile.
Sorry Changes, I offered to pay AND sign a bond to work for pennies! TRUMP CARD!!! :ANAL:

esp803

Post by esp803 »

Sky_Conqueror wrote:1000 Hours...with 500 Multi....and 150PIC....WTF.

Something in the lines of 1800, 500Multi and 250PIC yeah ok.
I think that all makes sense. 150PIC, plus 100 hours of PIC/US equals an ATPL. No need to list it for 250 hours. It's an entry level job, and that allows for an upgrade without having to fly on a different type.

As for the SAAB type rating, that's a bit of an odd ball... not sure where they are going to find that.

Pointy, you can come fly for Chisel Air, There's a Bond AND you get to pay me per hour of flight.

E

Sky_Conqueror
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sky_Conqueror »

This thing bugs me. I remember as a fact, almost exactly a year ago, these guys posted for the same FO position on the SAAB. But the minimums where not the same: Surprise! If I can recall...they were:

1000TT, either 50 or 100MPIC, and 150PIC.

So this recent post is a FarCry than the one last year. Its hard to decipher what these guys want. As every possible scenario we can come up with seems to fit.

I wouldn't understand a guy having a PPC SAAB, still valid, going to Saskatchewan for pay less than 40 000$. Chances are, if they do hire a guy that perfectly fits the profile, he'll jump ship in the next few months.

The next scenario points probably for a guy leaving under short notice for one of those AC Regional carriers. Because of this, Transwest needs a guy to be fast-tracked onto the line as soon as possible. Yet the previous statement I just made has had its purpose defeated...as the this FO add only CLOSES on the 22nd of February!! So WTF I don't understand sh**.

Anyways...thanks guys for posting your views. I'm exasperated by this undustry...EVENTHOUGH alot of hiring is going and is projected to continue....

Sky_Conqueror

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

Maybe they're hoping that there is a Canadian working at Silver air in the USA for $19k/yr and wants more money?

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Maybe it's so a layed off pilot can get EI to pay to pay for a type rating.

JMACK
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JMACK »

First Officer- 1000 hours Total Time
150 hours Pilot In Command
500 hours Multi Engine Time
PPC/Endorsement on type is mandatory
IATRA

Maybe they meant to say,

First Officer- 1000 hours Total Time
150 hours Pilot In Command
500 hours Multi Engine Time
To get a PPC/Endorsement on type having the IATRA written and passed is mandatory!

I would apply if you are interested in the job!

J

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

It was pretty clear through using big bold letters that they wanted an "Endorsement". Not entirely sure what that means as we are in Canada. :wink:

I applied to last year's job ad, meeting all the requirements and having an internal recommend. No response at all, not even a "thanks for your resume". So I'm assuming they are just testing the job market. There is no actual position.

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

What is it about this job ad that is so offensive? The bit about the type rating or the time requirements or both? And besides all that, why?

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

There's a very small number of candidates that will have a Saab type rating, and an even smaller number that will be interested in moving to Transwest.

There was also some news a several months back about employers not being allowed to require type rating/PPC training because it is training that the employer can provide upon hiring. I forget the specifics, but if you look back at Sunwing and TFW threads, there will be more details there.

It also reeks of trying to poach pilots from other operators. Borders on being a malicious hiring practice.

V2plus10
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by V2plus10 »

Who in their right mind that has a job now, or even the possibility of a seasonal recall (pasco) would want to move to Saskatchewan.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Not speaking specifically to this ad or Transwest, but I think some companies are soon going to have to change their business models and hiring practices.

When companies, in the past have lowered their bar to hiring, they eventually see maintenance costs increasing, and as the bar kerps lowering, eventually accidents.
Not so much for the majors as they train well and retain.

family run companies sometimes tend to want to do it the way they have always done it.
And poor wages and abusing labour laws are typical of the beast.

I am not a union person at all, but there is a place for them with some of these companies.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

CPLMike89 wrote:
I match your offer and raise you an unpaid ground school, see you in the flight levels chumps.
I can't believe people like you would take groundschool without pay. You'd probably bring coffee and doughnuts too wouldn't you?

But going to YYC for a westjet groundschool and paying for your own accommodations is totally ok with everyone.

CPLMike89
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by CPLMike89 »

Well actually I was planning on sacrificing a goat to appease the upper management, but I guess coffee and donuts are okay too. In all actual facts my post was made in Jest and I do not condone nor have I ever condoned PAYING for a JOB or WORKING for FREE. My apologies as I realize sarcasm can be hard to pick out from some of the other top notch posts on this forum.

P.S. I've already done my time at Transwest and have no plans on ever going back.

vectorvictor2020
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by vectorvictor2020 »

I'm pretty sure they are reaching a little with there requirements. But I know for a fact that they have taken instructors with 1000-1500 hours, and put them in the Saab.. If you want 705 time this is a good position to get. Especially if your aspirations are to end up in WestJet.. If you want the position apply, you never know. Btw I highly doubt they are expecting anyone to have a type rating on the Saab.

I'll agree sometimes management can be trying and you may have to put up with some bullshit, But the company isn't for everyone, Heck McDonalds isn't for everyone either, so in all reality It's what you make of it. It's Your co workers become family where ever you are based, whether it be in La Ronge or Stony Rapids.

I've done the Transwest thing as well, I worked hard and went the extra mile and I feel I was rewarded. (On an plane with in a year, and promoted on the Saab soon there after) and I can tell you i had well under what they were "requiring" for the position. At Transwest it's all about additude and work ethic, that's the main thing when they decide who gets a plane.

For all the 200-250 hour wonders out there just know that there aren't many companies that will offering a flying position to you. Your time on the ramp is your "interview" for becoming a pilot.

With regards to their "ramp" ground school, yes you do get paid, unless you don't show up or don't provide any information to them. In the ground school you are introduced to the company and their culture... So as long as youre not sleeping or being a complete ditz you will end up with a job at any one of their bases. So don't expect to be in saskatoon. I can tell you from my experience spending time in La Ronge, Stoney Rapids, Wollaston lake, and Saskatoon, the northern bases were by far the most enjoyable. Wel for the ramping Side of things at least.

In closing everyone has a different experience, and only seeing negative feedback quite frankly pisses me off. If you want to experience the life of a northern pilot on floats / skis, or fly in the IFR environment, or even helicopters. This company gives deserving people a fair chance in the industry. Whiners, complainers need not apply!

If anyone wants some information on what it's like in the company please pm me. I'll give you a no bullshit answer to the best of my ability.

Return to “Employment Forum”