New Zealand

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

stuckinthemiddle
Rank 1
Rank 1

New Zealand

Post by stuckinthemiddle »

what are the jobs like in New Zealand and Australia? There's got to be some decent jobs down there. Whats the story with that?
---------- ADS -----------

whats a guy gotta do to get a job in this town?
bob sacamano
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by bob sacamano »

Fly sightseers over the Lord of the Rings cities.

:smt109
ptc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ptc »

my girlfriend is a Kiwi (living in Canada), and I have recently been looking at jobs down there as we are thinking of moving there in a few years. the industry looks good and I hav been in touch with there CAA as well. the licence conversions dont seem that hard and the people at the CAA are really helpful. as well the few companies that I have contacted (while no one offered me a job) have all sent positive replies...

stuckinthemiddle
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by stuckinthemiddle »

how did you get in touch with all those companies, and their CAA? id like to know what you'd have to do to get converted, probly just some written stuff like the US conversion...

whats a guy gotta do to get a job in this town?
water wings
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by water wings »

this is the e-mail i recieved fron NZ... (i have full fledged Kiwi priveleges and may join you all down there)

Pilots who wish to gain employment in the NZ aviation industry are required to hold the appropriate NZ flight crew licence.

Information relating to the CAA recognition of overseas licences is available on our website http://www.caa.govt.nz
On the homepage, click on "Pilots / For pilots from other countries -Getting your licence recognised in NZ". This will take you to a 12 page document; general information is detailed under the heading "Flight Crew Licence Issue" that starts on page 4, CPL specific detail is on page 8 and ATPL detail on page 9.

If you decide to go ahead with the process, contact Aviation Services Ltd (ASL)at the address or phone/fax numbers shown on pages 5 and 6. This company undertakes all assessments of the qualifications and experience for overseas pilots who seek the issue of NZ aviation qualifications.

Their website address is http://www.aviation.co.nz and the person to contact there is Graham Guy. Graham.Guy@aviation.co.nz

With regard to working in NZ, I can offer no advice in this regard, your contact with the Immigration section of the NZ Labour Department will answer all questions in this area, For info, their website is: http://www.immigration.govt.nz

fly safe, mates!!!

bzhpilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bzhpilot »

ptc

What kind of experience did you have ? (hours, type flown...)
Wondering myself what the situation looks like down under...

termerair
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by termerair »

Hi there!

My co-worker here at the Invermere Soaring Center this summer was a kiwi guy!!! It sounded like it is much "easier" down there than here in Canada... Before spending the summer here this guy was commercially flying a Pitts-SB with only a couple hundred hours... Now he's got about 6 hundred hours and his plan is to fly on a Caravan pretty soon... A lot of sightseeing tours i guess...

Good luck with your plan!!!

Tanguy

ptc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ptc »

i havent yet gone to NZ, and am quite a low time pilot (400 hours) but from the feed back i have recieved (more then likely due to the good state of the industry) high times were not absolutley necessary in order to get a job...maybe they were just being polite but i did get similar responses from several companies...
good luck

joycer_01
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by joycer_01 »

Standards down here are around 1500TT and 500 MPIC for the charter and regional ops. Most require ATPL or at least theory credits - http://www.casa.gov for conversion info. Look under air charter with google.com.au and should list some operators. Good luck.

plainfixer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by plainfixer »

Think VERY carefully before heading to new zealand. Yes its a very beautiful place .... to visit. Working there is another story.
The flight schools are pumping out pilots at a good rate and there are literally thousands of pilots trying to get hours together to get into any flying position.
Just do your homework before going there.
Good Luck.

Axial Flow
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Axial Flow »

I heard there plight with aviation jobs is worse down there. Just as much population as Canada on a island. So I am sure not as much bush flying and entry level jobs down there. Had a friend go back he has a 1000 or so hours and a 1900 PPC so we'll see how he fares down there.

water wings
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by water wings »

New Zealand July 2005 Population : 4, 035, 461
Canada 2001 census: 31, 050, 700

there are 12 sheep for every person in NZ.

Axial Flow
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Axial Flow »

Maybe it was the sheep population I was talking about... :) New Zealand...where men are men and the sheep are scared.

plainfixer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by plainfixer »

I don't know why, but Australians and their friends are the first ones to express their deep desires with sheep, cliffs and velcro gloves - all in the same sentence when ever they hear the word "New Zealand". :?

emeels
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by emeels »

Stay away from any country with vast remote regions and the majority of its population spread along a narrow line - such as a border or an ocean. All will have 50 navajo/caravan pilots for each airline job and a pyramid style aviation industry where it is a struggle to get to a decent job.

Surely nowhere is as bad a Canada - but is it better to be unemplyed at home or away? Acutally - I'll take being unemployed on the beach in Aus any day!

C206Pilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by C206Pilot »

I researched Australia and NZ quite a bit. And, both countires are like apples and oranges. NZ is very similair to Canada and AUS is under JAA standards. The conversion process is MUCH more difficult there.

I have talked to many pilots in NZ. You wouldn't just be choosing where you wanted to work. It's just like Canada in the sense that you have to knock on the doors of the places you want to be hired. Be there, in person. However, they do have lower standards for flight time. Plus, there is no working "up north" BS to put up with.

And in addition, even bottom of the line positions that only require a basic CPL require 2 year training bonds. You better be commited to the idea of living there for a while. Nothing is for free.

Having said that, if you make it out there (anyone), congrats.

P.S. It is very parallel to Canada in the sense that Air New Zealand is plucking a lot of pilots out of the lower-time jobs, like ACA, WJA and a few others are here in Canada. It's a good time overall to stay here...or definitely will be soon. (As good as it can/will get anyways)

plainfixer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by plainfixer »

Yep, thats all fine to read. But don't forget to research the cost of living in New Zealand.
Do you think $1.15/litre for gas is high? Try $1.60/litre in New Zealand. And no the gas dosen't drop in price at night or off peak times. It gets more expensive the further away you get from a major city.
Do your research very well, coz you'll end up working 6days a week just to pay your bills. no extras. no days off to sight see.
And don't forget you'll be banging your head against the brick wall each time you hear "we need NZ experience" and "oh you'll be moving back to canada anyway".

joycer_01
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by joycer_01 »

---To clean up so people aren't mislead...
C206Pilot wrote: And, both countires are like apples and oranges.
Actually aren't as far as licensing...under the Trans-Tasman Mutual Recognition Act, Aus pilot licenses are recognized in NZ and vice-versa; just involves application and the fee.
Conversions to both Aus and NZ from other countries (for at least min of a CPL) involve an airlaw and flight test. NZ lets you off with a biannual flight review rather than the full initial flight test, only if you have certain # of hours thou. Check http://www.caa.govt.nz for specifics
C206Pilot wrote: AUS is under JAA standards.
It'd be nice..but no. Its the same 14 exams Aus - JAA as it is Transport Canada- JAA.
C206Pilot wrote: you have to knock on the doors of the places you want to be hired... no working "up north" BS to put up with.
He's got this one right...not only NZ, but Aus as well. Many people that don't instruct do go "up north" - only here there's no -35 degree weather. Usually doing scenic and maybe a bit of charter.

C206Pilot wrote:even bottom of the line positions that only require a basic CPL require 2 year training bonds.
Typically not the case unless it involves a type-rating on a turbine.

Aus and NZ are fantastic places to fly - good luck to anyone looking to come down.

C206Pilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by C206Pilot »

Well, I thought I read that they were under JAA standards and it was complicated to convert. If not, mabe I'll look into it again.

And I looked into one place in NZ that wanted a 2 year training bond for flying piston aircraft (entry-level). I guess it's not fair to assume anyone or everyone else would be the same. I didn't even have to sign a contract for my first job flying in Canada and all of the training was paid for. I guess I just got lucky in comparison.

Good luck.

(...And thank you for clarifying)

Return to “Employment Forum”