Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Perimeter aviation vs transwest air? Help

Post by xsbank »

Bird in the hand...
---------- ADS -----------

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
Captain X
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Captain X »

In the past that session is a competitive ground school for ramp staff. Where you take your TDG ground handling etc. At the end they will offer jobs to those they like/prefer. My info is 10 yrs old though. So they may have changed the process.

IWANTTOFLYYIN
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by IWANTTOFLYYIN »

Please, reconsider this. Latest news is Perimeter's wait is 2-3 years now. Transwest is well, Transwest. Do yourself a favor and do some more homework before going through with either. Good luck.

awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by awitzke »

Have you considered North Wright? Time to flight line there is pretty quick these days some guys from my flight school moved into the 1900 and twotter after 4-5 months.

The further you go from civilization, the faster you'll be flying.

That being said there are also direct entry flight jobs out there for 200 hours pilots if you look hard enough.

awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by awitzke »

Captain X wrote:In the past that session is a competitive ground school for ramp staff. Where you take your TDG ground handling etc. At the end they will offer jobs to those they like/prefer. My info is 10 yrs old though. So they may have changed the process.
It still is. Friend of mine went there for it last year and ended up declining the position they offered. He's in ATR groundschool now with 200 hours in Honduras so I'm sure he's happy he declined. I also know a guy who spent 6+ months there on the ground (TWA) and left to go to Norman Wells because of a better opportunity.

awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by awitzke »

What you should do is pack your car, print out 100 resumes and drop in at every 703 operator across the country.

C-FDPB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by C-FDPB »

awitzke wrote:What you should do is pack your car, print out 100 resumes and drop in at every 703 operator across the country.
+1

jmd51
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jmd51 »

has anyone else heard from these two companys lately? I have never heard 3 year wait time until now so I would like to hear more about that. Everyone I talked to says 1-2 year average wait time. Has anyone worked for Perimeter recently and have any info about what work conditions are like?

cffdt
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cffdt »

If you go to Perimeter, just make sure you somehow keep your IFR skills up. The wait can be very long and this is still the case as of the past 3 or 4 months. The issue a lot of people have is they fail miserably at the sim evaluation when they finally get it because they don't bother doing any practice while on the ramp. So just heed that warning but it's a solid company and you'll get good experience and advancement opportunities are pretty good as well.

CLguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CLguy »

Just had dinner with a young pilot 2 nights ago who wasted 4 years on the ramp with Perimeter. Lots of promises over the years but no seat ever so he walked away.

You Can Love An Airplane All You Want, But Remember, It Will Never Love You Back!
Av8r7
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Av8r7 »

Be careful with perimeter. You can end up working the ground there for a long long time. With the movement in the industry now I would go try northwright or honestly...Go do the road trip. Dont squander the spring. You can go get yourself into a Navajo right seat or be a diver driver etc. There's flying jobs out there for 200hr pilots you just have to go find them.

awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by awitzke »

Av8r7 wrote:You can go get yourself into a Navajo right seat or be a diver driver etc. There's flying jobs out there for 200hr pilots you just have to go find them.
A year ago I did just this. After six weeks found myself a right seat Ho job with a great company, and a year later I'm Captain and have over 1000 hours. Hit the road, shake hands and you will find connections almost everywhere you turn. Many people helped me out and gave me advice while on my road trip, and pointed me in the right directions. You may not find a job, but you will never get one unless you try.

IWANTTOFLYYIN
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by IWANTTOFLYYIN »

awitzke wrote:
Av8r7 wrote:You can go get yourself into a Navajo right seat or be a diver driver etc. There's flying jobs out there for 200hr pilots you just have to go find them.
A year ago I did just this. After six weeks found myself a right seat Ho job with a great company, and a year later I'm Captain and have over 1000 hours. Hit the road, shake hands and you will find connections almost everywhere you turn. Many people helped me out and gave me advice while on my road trip, and pointed me in the right directions. You may not find a job, but you will never get one unless you try.
+1

awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by awitzke »

Something else to consider, if you can't take the time to do a long trip. Choose a region, fly there and rent a car. Spend a week driving around and dropping in at all the operators in that area. I met a guy who came into our office a few months ago who did just that. Flew into Winnipeg, rented a car and drove around Manitoba an NW Ontario. That flight and time spent introducing himself led to a job in my town.

Av8r7
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Av8r7 »

^yes that is what I did. And yes now I have a job in that town...........

Hmm...small world.

Last edited by Av8r7 on Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
NickyNick
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by NickyNick »

awitzke wrote:Something else to consider, if you can't take the time to do a long trip. Choose a region, fly there and rent a car. Spend a week driving around and dropping in at all the operators in that area. I met a guy who came into our office a few months ago who did just that. Flew into Winnipeg, rented a car and drove around Manitoba an NW Ontario. That flight and time spent introducing himself led to a job in my town.
Why don't companies hire the poor? Only someone with rich parents can do a trip like that. Another example of how society nowdays treats everyone differently.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

NickyNick wrote:
awitzke wrote:Something else to consider, if you can't take the time to do a long trip. Choose a region, fly there and rent a car. Spend a week driving around and dropping in at all the operators in that area. I met a guy who came into our office a few months ago who did just that. Flew into Winnipeg, rented a car and drove around Manitoba an NW Ontario. That flight and time spent introducing himself led to a job in my town.
Why don't companies hire the poor? Only someone with rich parents can do a trip like that. Another example of how society nowdays treats everyone differently.
Riiight...and 'poor' people are forking out $70K plus for a CPL/MIFR these days. :?

If you're going to troll, at least do it intelligently. :roll:

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by awitzke »

NickyNick wrote:

Go away.

camber
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by camber »

NickyNick wrote:Why don't companies hire the poor? Only someone with rich parents can do a trip like that. Another example of how society nowdays treats everyone differently.
Fair enough. No one is expected to have cash like that right out of flight school.

You don't have to start the road trip the very next day. Maybe spend a summer framing houses or labouring? Lots of ways to find quick, decent money and get you on the road.

flyingpilot9
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by flyingpilot9 »

NEITHER! Both companies treat low timers like dirt. Don't waste 2-3 years being a slave driver there.
Best low time ramp positions are North western air lease, air Labrador and air tindi. All respectful reputable companies that treat you like a human being. Perimeter and TWA managers could care less for their rampies.

Return to “Employment Forum”