Personality a Setback?

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

bhuntsy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Personality a Setback?

Post by bhuntsy »

This is kind of a strange question to ask, but here goes.

I've always been quite a bit different than other kids, so growing up in a small town I didn't really have any friends and kept to myself a lot. As a result, I've some pretty terrible social skills and am pretty awkward for somebody my age. It's something I'm working on, but it's tough and takes time.

I'm just wondering if this will hinder my ability to find a first job at a smaller 702/703 operator. I would really like to start of flying floats, but I get the impression that a lot of companies want somebody sociable who can give their customers a good time. I've been working part-time at a small survey company and the seven pilots I've met over the years have always been very sociable. The owner of my flying school said not to get an instructor rating because of this (in kinder words, though).

I'm wondering if maybe a ramp to FO would be more my cup of tea. I have good relationships with all my previous bosses, but those jobs were more about hard work and no dealing with customers.

Anyways, I hope this doesn't sound like a pity post. I'm just looking for realistic feedback if anyone has any experience with this kind of thing.

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Personality a Setback?

Post by cdnpilot77 »

There are a lot of wide ranging "normal" and "abnormal" people in this industry. Don't sweat it. Be yourself and be the best person you can be. Work hard, show up for work and know your stuff, this is what employers, especially at the entry level, care about. They couldn't care less if you could carry a conversation about the genocide in Uganda. Just don't try to be something you're not, you will be miserable and that will show! Also, don't limit yourself to one thing or another. Get a job, get your foot in the door and put everything else behind you.

One of the greatest things about going somewhere new is that you can reinvent yourself. You can be whoever or whatever you want to be, as long as it's you! Best of luck!

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

Have you thought about joining your local "Toastmaster's" chapter?

Just a thought...

All the best,
TPC

lucien_kane
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lucien_kane »

do what i do; Fake it till you make it. However toastmasters is a good idea. I attended it when I was in school.

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

If NickyNick can get on a King Air, you should have no problem getting at least that far!

cxchd
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cxchd »

Look into cargo flying. That way you don't have to deal with people. I hate the way some passengers think they are entitled to everything for their cheap tickets. I'm a little anti-social myself and prefer cargo. Just have to be able to handle a lot of night flying.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

JohnnyHotRocks wrote:If NickyNick can get on a King Air, you should have no problem getting at least that far!
:lol:

JoeShmoe
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JoeShmoe »

What I've learned in this career is that in order to be anti social as a pilot, you actually need to try to be anti social everyday. What I'm saying is you don't need to be super outgoing to make friends as a pilot, you just have to not say no everytime someone at work invites you out for drinks or what not. The few anti social pilots I've known actually had to try pretty hard to turn down/avoid all the social gatherings. Just make a point of saying yes and hanging out, it goes a long way.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Ah you'll be successful even if you need velcro shoes and a wet nurse. The posters of the first two replies are proof of that! ;)

You seem intelligent and self aware, that's more than many people can say about themselves. Don't worry, as long as you apply yourself the people who really matter will take notice that you have your stuff together and your head in the books instead of on the bar.
The professional world, for the most part, isn't high school anymore.

You can learn new things, being nervous is good sometimes and you'll be proud of yourself when you do things that are awkward at first- but as mentioned before, don't bother trying to be someone your not, just a better version.

Good luck, you'll be fine.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Also remember there are single pilot jobs out there. Ag flying, some survey work, pipeline patrols, cargo, cargo floats, even some corporate single pilot IFR still exists.

Flybabe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Flybabe »

I agree with cdnpilot77.

Don't sweat it.

I am very shy. I hate social situations. But, when it's business and work, you would never know it.

Get trained up, get your foot in the door. Work hard, keep your head down, don't complain.

You will be fine.

Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace. The soul that knows it not,knows no release from the little things; knows not the livid loneliness of fear, nor mountain heights where bitter joy can hear the sound of wings.
- Amelia Earhart
ditar
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ditar »

I also hate social situations. I find them very stressful unless I have friends there who I can talk to. I don't enjoy meeting new people at all. I do try my best when I have to, though, and apparently fake it pretty well because I'm told I handle social situations quite gracefully. None of this has set me back in my career. I just be myself, and I get along with most people very well. I can chat with some crew members for hours, with others barely a non SOP word is said during the whole flight. But nobody cares as long as the job is done correctly and professionally. Your attitude toward the job and work ethic is what will distinguish you among your peers, not your social skills at a cocktail party.

Return to “Employment Forum”