Bearskin interview

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

snakesonaplane
Rank 1
Rank 1

Bearskin interview

Post by snakesonaplane »

Anyone have current info on Bearskin as an F/O for things like sched, pay, bond requirements?

What does the interview consist of? Standard questions that liked to be asked?

Thanks in advance
---------- ADS -----------

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Bearskin interview

Post by DanWEC »

Sent you a PM with one year old info.... may or may not be current.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Schedule is typical airline, multi-day pairings. Last I heard pay was $29600/yr, but the new contract is apparent even less. Not sure of the exact figure. Bond is your first born child...I mean 10 grand up front paid back at 5% for 2 years.

iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by iflyroads »

goingnowherefast wrote: Bond is your first born child...I mean 10 grand up front paid back at 5% for 2 years.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

These guys don't need a bond. But I guess if they dropped it as a requirement, all the DF's who've paid in the past would have kittens.
Illya

Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.
lazyeight
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by lazyeight »

$29600? Ouch.

Maynard
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Maynard »

If you sat on reserve and didn't fly 1 day then that's right. Realistically, Average per diems are 500$ (non taxed) a month which adds 6000$ to the bottom line. Also the days of working 80 hours a month are gone, most are blocked around 90 these days. So you'll probably make closer to 35-39k/year.

I guess I should write something here.
lazyeight
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by lazyeight »

That's still kinda ouch. Working 90 hours a month and still not even cracking 40k. Although I guess at that point hours are what most people working there are after.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Wow! With per diems you can actually make more than the kid working at 7-11.
Yep.. Its all about the hours. Then you can look forward to at least a $10k boost to join big red...and you wont have to loan them money to hire you..
Is this a great industry, or what?

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
bobcaygeon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by bobcaygeon »

trey kule wrote:Wow! With per diems you can actually make more than the kid working at 7-11.
Yep.. Its all about the hours. Then you can look forward to at least a $10k boost to join big red...and you wont have to loan them money to hire you..
Is this a great industry, or what?
Are you going make huge coin? No. Is Thunder Bay affordable and civilized, yes. Easy access to YYZ with JS on 3 carriers and decent interline agreements. Could be better but overall no major problems.

Pretty tough to argue a bond/training agreement the way the FO turnover is to Jazz/Sky/Encore.

Maynard
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Maynard »

Please, write me a list of other places that pay a 1000hr pilot with zero IFR experience, better than that with the same working conditions? Yes working 90 hours; But that's credits. How many other places can people leave for work on a Friday afternoon, hop in a provided crew car and drive to the cottage until Sunday afternoon all the while collecting perdiems and extra money for cancelling a hotel? There are a lot more perks to this gig thAn looking at the dollar. But in classic Avcanada fashion, judge everything by the cover :supz:

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

bobcaygeon wrote: Are you going make huge coin? No. Is Thunder Bay affordable and civilized, yes. Easy access to YYZ with JS on 3 carriers and decent interline agreements. Could be better but overall no major problems.

Pretty tough to argue a bond/training agreement the way the FO turnover is to Jazz/Sky/Encore.
HAHA, sorry my family and I as recently as May were looking to move back to Tbay from Winnipeg, affordable is not the case. Housing costs are the same if not worse than Winnipeg, property taxes are higher, if you live on the outskirts you have to sell your child to Hydro One just to have heat.

Rent is also the same as Winnipeg.

With that, if your an outdoors person, Tbay is amazing and is worth spending the little extra coin to have an awesome life style.
Maynard wrote:If you sat on reserve and didn't fly 1 day then that's right. Realistically, Average per diems are 500$ (non taxed) a month which adds 6000$ to the bottom line. Also the days of working 80 hours a month are gone, most are blocked around 90 these days. So you'll probably make closer to 35-39k/year.
Per diem is NOT salary. Show me ONE T4 that shows you made this money, show me ONE mortgage lender/bank that will acknowledge you are paid this. It's not going to happen. Per diems are nice especially when they go up to $500 a month, but they in no way should they be considered a salary to substitute a crappy salary like $29,000.

If your salary is $29,600 and you make $6000 on Perdiems, your salary is still $29,600.

Maynard
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Maynard »

goingnowherefast wrote:Schedule is typical airline, multi-day pairings. Last I heard pay was $29600/yr, but the new contract is apparent even less. Not sure of the exact figure. Bond is your first born child...I mean 10 grand up front paid back at 5% for 2 years.
Where did he say salary? Where did I say salary? People want to know what PAY is, and since per diems are a form of PAY I'm including it. Yes we all know banks don't recognize it as salary, but your bank account Does....

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

The reason 1000 hour pilots cant get better pay is because there are 1000 hour pilots out there who have so little self respect that they will not only accept lower than minimum wage, but will write a cheque for that privelege.
The folks that run these companies are not stupid. They pay what they have to. And the vaunted flight colleges aid the perception by telling their graduates to accept ramp work, washing cars, paying for a job...not one that I know of tells their graduates to only accept paid jobs as a pilot. They could collectively help turn things around fairly quickly.

And when loaning them money is a primary requirement to work for them, they have reduced the hiring pool even farther. It will end like it did in the US, and I expect we will have to read posts from the deceased pilot's family that their poor child was a victim..

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
bobcaygeon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by bobcaygeon »

Is there really any surprise??
How can you expect an improvement when ACPA took a B scale with Rouge and we've been watching make it's way down through the collective agreements as they come due.

Maynard
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Maynard »

Do you have a copy of our CBA 5 and 6? If you did you'd see its an improvement.

Return to “Employment Forum”