U.S. Work

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Blueontop
Rank 6
Rank 6

U.S. Work

Post by Blueontop »

Good day fellow aviators,

I was recently in conversation with an operation down in the U.S. and was wondering if any on here could shed some light as to how the process could work? I have looked into it myself and understand I would have to get my license converted first before anything else. First, converting the TC ATP to FAA ATP requires a written test and sim time, could my sim course with the operation that is hiring me be used for that?

Second, how does being paid in the U.S. work exactly in terms of paying taxes in the States and in Canada?

So basically, I am looking for any info/experience from anyone that is a Canadian who has taken a job in the States and how the process worked for them. Also any surprises that they didn't know about until they went down there. I would like to hear from anyone experienced working down in the States or who has any info about converting the license.

I feel completely out of my element here and any advice or insights would be hugely helpful and very much appreciated!
---------- ADS -----------

Heisenberg666
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: U.S. Work

Post by Heisenberg666 »

1. Your sim type rating course will not help you convert your TC license to an FAA. To be eligible to write the FAA ATP exam, you have to complete the ATP-CTP course. This is a very specific course, and a regular type rating course will not do.

2. You should consult a tax professional, but generally if you remain a resident of Canada you will have to pay taxes in the US and Canada, although the taxes you paid to the IRS would be deductible against your Canadian taxes (to avoid double taxation).
If you declare non-residency, then you will only have to pay US taxes. This might not be possible if you have significant ties to Canada.

3. Your biggest obstacle will be getting the right to live and work in the US, if you don't already have this.

Blueontop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Blueontop »

Heisenberg666 wrote:
3. Your biggest obstacle will be getting the right to live and work in the US, if you don't already have this.

I was under the impression that in order to get that, all you needed was for the company to sponsor you and then go through the application/vetting process? Please correct me with anymore details if you have them :D

Heisenberg666
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Heisenberg666 »

Good luck with that one...

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

You're not entirely wrong in the sponsor thing. It is a process though. With license conversion and applying for a work permit, don't expect to be legally eligible to work in the first year or 2 depending on the type of position you're talking about. I know people who have received a work permit quickly, but they had very specialized skills.

RILEY
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by RILEY »

cdnpilot77 wrote:You're not entirely wrong in the sponsor thing. It is a process though. With license conversion and applying for a work permit, don't expect to be legally eligible to work in the first year or 2 depending on the type of position you're talking about. I know people who have received a work permit quickly, but they had very specialized skills.
One does not have a specialized skill set as a pilot? If the current pilot shortage is critical enough to threaten company operations then why wouldn't US operators entertain a sponsorship ?

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

Nope, not a basic run of the mill ATPL according to the immigration policies in place. A test pilot or training captain maybe. Still not an easy or quick process.

Captain X
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Captain X »

I was under the impression, that if you are married to a nurse or doctor, they can get a work permit/visa easy. Head hunting agencies do all the paperwork for them. Once they live and work in the USA for 6 months you can then apply and get a work permit quite easy.

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

There are always exceptions but good luck finding loopholes or fast tracks. There is NAFTA of which the pilot profession does not fall into. If someone enters on a NAFTA (TN) visa, their spouse/family are not eligible to work unless they themselves have a NAFTA profession/visa.

I suggest speaking with an immigration lawyer to find the path that would best suit your situation. The reality is that there may be little to no path without family sponsor, birth rights, or an employer willing to wait the long term to bring you in through their sponsorships.

Blueontop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Blueontop »

Thanks everyone for the advice, certainly some things to think about!

Teamflyer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Teamflyer »

If you want to work in the US, you need to have a right to do that.
First off, like others have said. What kind of right to live/work do you have for the United States?

I doubt there are any US companies sponsering pilots to attain a work permit.
If the US does decide to sponsor pilots, Canadians will be in luck because of an advisory circular conversion agreement.

However, That agreement is just for license conversion, not immigration. If you want to fly an American register airplane, you need an FAA licence, hence why some Canadians get an FAA licence.

Now there are many ways to immigrate to the US, but just being a pilot isn't going to get you a work permit. Doing a google search, and some research will reveal its not a walk in the park.

For converting your license, it's pretty straight foreword. The instructions are on the agreement it self.
First, send a verification application to the division of foreign verification office.
It will take approx. 6 months when you and your designated FSDO will get the letter of verification.
Make sure you have appropriate FAA class of medical.
Make sure you meet the prerequisites for the licence you are trying to obtain.
Make sure you are eligible to write the appropriate exam, i.e. you need to do a course as prerequisite to write the exam for an FAA ATP.
Your background will be checked by the department of homeland security before you can even begin the training required to write the conversion exam.

So you can see the biggest hurdle is the right to work/live.

Blueontop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Blueontop »

Teamflyer wrote:
If the US does decide to sponsor pilots, Canadians will be in luck because of an advisory circular conversion agreement.
Can you explain that little further or provide a link to that advisory circular conversion agreement?

chedda
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chedda »

I'm a Canadian citizen currently working in the US as a flight instructor at a university flight program. I have a Nafta visa that allows me to work as a university teacher. I have spoken to many US airlines about working for them and the recruiters are always very optimistic that they can hire me. There is a big regional pilot shortage right now and they all want to hire anyone who is qualified. A week or two after talking to the recruiter I always get the same phone call. "Sorry we can't sponsor you for a work visa." Every single time. I have a coworker in the exact same situation and he's even interviewed at a couple airlines down here, but they can never get the visa figured out.

RILEY
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by RILEY »

chedda wrote:I'm a Canadian citizen currently working in the US as a flight instructor at a university flight program. I have a Nafta visa that allows me to work as a university teacher. I have spoken to many US airlines about working for them and the recruiters are always very optimistic that they can hire me. There is a big regional pilot shortage right now and they all want to hire anyone who is qualified. A week or two after talking to the recruiter I always get the same phone call. "Sorry we can't sponsor you for a work visa." Every single time. I have a coworker in the exact same situation and he's even interviewed at a couple airlines down here, but they can never get the visa figured out.
wow, that is surprising, you'd think with the current shortage so critical, airlines would jump all over that opportunity and have the VISA thing figured out by now.... that's unfortunate. However I am in the same boat in terms of being an Instructor and looking to take that next step... Tough right now up in Canada and converting my license has been something Ive always considered.

Braaaap
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Braaaap »

Blueontop wrote:
Teamflyer wrote:
Can you explain that little further or provide a link to that advisory circular conversion agreement?
I think he means the license conversion process. You can find it here: http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies ... ID/1027574

Good Luck!

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

There is no regional PILOT shortage, just regional pilot PAY shortages, we got plenty of folks who meet mins for regionals, just got to wait for the regionals to nut up and pay properly, no need to import cheap labor to screw up the long needed upswing for pilots down here.

Flybabe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Flybabe »

chedda wrote:I'm a Canadian citizen currently working in the US as a flight instructor at a university flight program. I have a Nafta visa that allows me to work as a university teacher. I have spoken to many US airlines about working for them and the recruiters are always very optimistic that they can hire me. There is a big regional pilot shortage right now and they all want to hire anyone who is qualified. A week or two after talking to the recruiter I always get the same phone call. "Sorry we can't sponsor you for a work visa." Every single time. I have a coworker in the exact same situation and he's even interviewed at a couple airlines down here, but they can never get the visa figured out.
This ^ is the only way you can work as a pilot in the US without any other credentials.

I lived in the US for 10 years and initially went down on a NAFTA Visa (you can work for the employer that sponsors for that ONLY), but for a completely unrelated occupation, not aviation. I got the exact same responses from companies as chedda. Exactly.

As I understand, the ALPA was huge in ensuring that flying jobs were not arbitrarily given to foreigners.

Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace. The soul that knows it not,knows no release from the little things; knows not the livid loneliness of fear, nor mountain heights where bitter joy can hear the sound of wings.
- Amelia Earhart
fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

RILEY wrote:
wow, that is surprising, you'd think with the current shortage so critical, airlines would jump all over that opportunity and have the VISA thing figured out by now.... that's unfortunate. However I am in the same boat in terms of being an Instructor and looking to take that next step... Tough right now up in Canada and converting my license has been something Ive always considered.

TOUGH IN CANADA !!!!!! Are you kidding me, right now is probably as easy as it has been in over 20 years to get a job and move up in Canada.

Stinky
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Stinky »

SuperchargedRS wrote:There is no regional PILOT shortage, just regional pilot PAY shortages, we got plenty of folks who meet mins for regionals, just got to wait for the regionals to nut up and pay properly, no need to import cheap labor to screw up the long needed upswing for pilots down here.
Totally agree.
The GAO did a study and found little to no evidence of a shortage now or in the future.

http://gao.gov/products/GAO-14-232

I believe this is what would be used by congress to change any visa rules. Despite all the whining from the regionals regarding a shortage, the government seems to have the correct info.

You can get hired into the right seat of a regional jet in Canada with less than 1000hrs. That's not possible in the U.S. right now.

Return to “Employment Forum”