Island Express

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Dirty24.7
Rank 0
Rank 0

Island Express

Post by Dirty24.7 »

Hi everyone,

Im wondering if anyone has any info on Island Express out of YXX. Ive done a bit of searching around the site but dosent seem like theyre really talked about.

I currently reside in aldergrove with a PPC and a tiny bit of time on a chieftain.

Just wondering do they fly single pilot IFR in the ho's or 2 crew?

Also what working conditions are like, hours worked, days on/off, training bonds? etc etc

Just curious about the usual stuff, feel free to PM me with any info it would be greatly appreciated.
---------- ADS -----------

porcsord
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Island Express

Post by porcsord »

This is pure speculation, but I'll bet all of that is on par with other current and previous navajo operators in the area... and nothing would make me happier than to be proven wrong.

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

At least it ain't Ft McMurray Alberta!

Dirty24.7
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Dirty24.7 »

I forgot to add at the end of my original post, if you dont have anything constructive to say please refrain from posting.

porcsord
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by porcsord »

I'm not sure you understand how avcanada works.

AirMail
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by AirMail »

porcsord understands, be more like him. You will however likely be making more as a ho driver than say encore, ggn, or jazz.. so there's that.

Gear Jerker
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Gear Jerker »

If you absolutely must get some more MPIC, go for it with your eyes extremely wide open and a strong backbone. Try for better.

Look, it's f***in Patrick Swayze and Reveen!
goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

How fast can you run?

If I shared their reputation on here, my post would probably get deleted.

helione
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by helione »

times 2.......ask around and you'll find out

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

AirMail wrote:porcsord understands, be more like him. You will however likely be making more as a ho driver than say encore, ggn, or jazz.. so there's that.
Depends where you go, but left seat it's easy to make over $40k/yr flying a 'ho.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

There's also a lot more dead Navajo pilots than Q400 pilots. Mostly due to sketchy operators though. Q400 companies tend not to fly over weight, usually go missed at minimums and actually maintain their planes.

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

Show me where you can go get a Q400 job right out of school.

Why are we comparing a Q400 and Navajo? Really, now...

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Because left seat Navajo pays better than any right seat Q400 job in this country. Both positions require about the same experience. The gap is getting bigger too. Some Navajo companies are actually starting to increase the pay.

If you choose the Navajo, the trick is to not drive yourself crazy with bad management or get killed by sketchy operators.... :wink:

iamnomaverick
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by iamnomaverick »

goingnowherefast wrote:Because left seat Navajo pays better than any right seat Q400 job in this country. Both positions require about the same experience. The gap is getting bigger too. Some Navajo companies are actually starting to increase the pay.

If you choose the Navajo, the trick is to not drive yourself crazy with bad management or get killed by sketchy operators.... :wink:
Good advice goingnowherefast, but, that is a misconception regarding the pay. I did both as you already know, left seat Navajo SPIFR for a fantastic operator that paid well above average and my take home pay was under to around $3000 from what I recall, and that's working 22 days a month average... I now fly a Q400 from the right seat and my take home is well above that working 14-16 days a month, difference is I don't remember what the wing covers/engine tents/ extension cords look like, I don't have to dread de-icing using broom sticks and out of garden hoses in -20, I don't have to come in to wash the airplane or do off tasks when there's no flying or touch anything that does't relate to what I was actually trained to do, which is flying the airplane. Don't get me wrong, those experiences have shaped the person I am and I learnt a lot about aviation through them but at the same time I don't miss it, I like my cushy job where the most I do outside the airplane is a 2-minute walk around. 8)

Anyways sorry for hijacking the thread. To the OP, PM for more info if you like.

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

goingnowherefast wrote:Because left seat Navajo pays better than any right seat Q400 job in this country. Both positions require about the same experience. The gap is getting bigger too. Some Navajo companies are actually starting to increase the pay.

You can fly left seat Navajo under 1000 hours. Not many Q400 operators hiring sub 1000 hours pilots.... And there are good Navajo operators out there you just have to know where to look.

The experience you gain flying a smaller plane will dictate what kind of pilot you will be for the rest of your career. I'd rather fly with a Captain (and when I am a Captain, an FO) who flew in the north than an instructor who went right seat Metro at 800 hours then Regional at 1100 with no real command time. Sure they are both fully qualified to command the airplane but I would still rather fly with someone who cut their teeth in the north.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

iamnomaverick wrote:Anyways sorry for hijacking the thread. To the OP, PM for more info if you like.
iamnomaverick knows the real deal with this company (and a lot of this industry for that matter). If you are honestly considering working there, talk to him first. He's a grade A guy and will tell you the truth.

Fly The Wing
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Fly The Wing »

porcsord wrote:I'm not sure you understand how avcanada works.
:lol:

Return to “Employment Forum”