AFRICA Calling

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

BCnomad
Rank 1
Rank 1

AFRICA Calling

Post by BCnomad »

There are many good things about Africa. If you feel the need to go there, then please do.

BUT, no matter what - DO NOT go to Nigeria and work for ARIK AIR. They have not paid their pilots since July. The airline is a joke and you will only leave there frustrated. The local pilots are quitting that airline to join others. That in itself tells you something.

I have worked in Africa since 2006. I am passing this on only to help out.
---------- ADS -----------

Braaaap
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: AFRICA Calling

Post by Braaaap »

Thanks for the heads up! What operations would you suggest?

Bacunayagua
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Bacunayagua »

What options does a 1700 hour guy have over there?

No Turbine or two crew.

1700 TT
1550 PIC
650 MPIC

BCnomad
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by BCnomad »

Most operations require Captains. Reason: nations like to hire their own people for first officer positions. I would say your best bet is time on a 705 machine: DHC8, ATR. If you have B1900 or Twin Otter Captain time, then possible as well.

At the moment oil operations are suffering so do not expect to get onto any company that services the oil industry. Hopefully that will pick up in the next year or so.

Companies that service UN contracts, or WFP, or Euro commission are a good bet.

A few companies to look at that are Canadian based / owned and in no particular order: Voyageur, DAC, Trans Capital, Avmax, Regional1.

If you want to go to Africa or overseas, make sure it is something you really want to do and are very flexible in your attitude. It is not for everyone. That goes for any overseas work.

Bacunayagua
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Bacunayagua »

Thanks for the advice, while I've never been to Africa I've spent some time in countries with similar conditions and it's not problem for me. Looks like I have to get time in something two crew before heading over.

BCnomad
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by BCnomad »

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

Bacunayagua wrote:Thanks for the advice, while I've never been to Africa I've spent some time in countries with similar conditions and it's not problem for me. Looks like I have to get time in something two crew before heading over.
I spent 6 months on and off in Nigeria. My employer had 2 aircraft flying for Arik. Arik owned the aircraft but they were operated under my employers AOC.

My employer took one as collateral against unpaid bills. The other one is rotting away in Lagos - it will probably never fly again.

Unless you've been there you really have no idea.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
LennyLeonard
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by LennyLeonard »

BCnomad
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by BCnomad »

Update - Arik Air has rumours of turning out to just be a boiler room to launder money. Apparently there were around 400 pilots employed. A huge percentage of which did not exist.... Therefore the "salaries" of the fake pilots went to the crooks. This is the latest rumour since it was taken over by AMCON in Nigeria...

Not verified, but a pretty good rumour

One may have overseas experience, but one has no idea about Nigeria until one has been.......

Qdrivermann
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Qdrivermann »

Nigeria is Nigeria... a bullet best dodged. I was scheduled to ferry in and train up some people on the mighty Q400 but declined the offer for something else and man, was I ever happy I did after hearing back from buddies who went!!

skymaster007
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by skymaster007 »

Arik Air started out as an airline with such great potential however mismanagement and corruption has quickly led to her downfall..
I still believe there is so much potential for the aviation industry in Nigeria and Africa as a whole. The demand for travel is unbelievable.

DHC7DVR
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DHC7DVR »

"TIA.....This is Africa, and a no one cares about Africa".......In my experience, not even Africans....

I cannot say that I have flown 'All' over Africa, but most of it; as Sarah Palin very infamously said.."Africa's a really big country"..... Actually, it's round 30 countries...(depending on when and how exactly you count them), with over 1500 UN recognized languages.

The simple fact is that you are way of the edge of the map once you head south of the Med. It really should be marked..'Ere bee monsters'. Some countries are better than others, but the underlying truth is that all the systems we take for granted hear in Europe and N America, simply don't exist there. Weather, radar, Navaids, runway surface conditions and airport environment, good radio communications with someone compitant with a good grasp of English, are all things you are going to have to do without. And on more than one occasion, flying became less of job, but more an act of survival.

Anyone whom has spent any time there will have plenty of salty stories to tell. It does depend on the country, but generally the crime rates are much higher than the western world, and the roads are leathal. If you get involved in a traffic accident....it was your fault...and all Muzungus (white men) are seen as a walking ATM. Very poor internet, (if available at all), disease (perticulary Malaria, Hepititus, and HIV) are everywhere. And pretty much all financial dealings are in cash, as Visa and Interac is pretty much unheard off. So your woes are not restricted to the air by any means.

Some countries are more stable than others, but generally, all bets are off. Nigeria, South Sudan and Somalia, DON'T EVEN ENTERTAIN THE NOTION. I have been shot at in Sudan, mortared in Somalia, and been put on collision course with other aircraft by controllers, (whom will then belligerently deny any wrongdoing on their part over the radio), had to deal with corruption that if rife, all wrapped up in a general incompetence and apathy. Sadly, in Africa, life is cheap indeed.

That being said, I did see a whole other side of humanity that we just don't see in this part of the world, and did get to experience things that you just can't buy. I am generally glad of my experiences, they are all part of life's rich pattern, and made me the guy I am now. But I have absolutely no compunction to go back there, and in fact, if I never set foot on that fucking continent again it would be too soon!

Whatever you do, good luck to you. But please, if you remember nothing else, rembmber one thing, it's not paranoia...they REALLY ARE OUT TO KILL YOU......

Blue Sky's...

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

And pretty much all financial dealings are in cash, as Visa and Interac is pretty much unheard off. So your woes are not restricted to the air by any means.
For sure without cash you are screwed big time we never allowed our cash to get below $20,000 at any time and split the cash up between the crew.

One night my FO had $10,000 in cash taken from him because he was alone and got robbed, fu.kin lucky they did not cut his throat.

Your post is bang on DHC7DVR and like you I also have no desire to go back.

But, there are some awesome places on the continent.

I did about twenty five different countries over the years I flew there.

Stay away from the night fighters. :mrgreen:

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

DHC7DVR wrote:"TIA.....This is Africa, and a no one cares about Africa".......In my experience, not even Africans....

I cannot say that I have flown 'All' over Africa, but most of it; as Sarah Palin very infamously said.."Africa's a really big country"..... Actually, it's round 30 countries...(depending on when and how exactly you count them), with over 1500 UN recognized languages.

The simple fact is that you are way of the edge of the map once you head south of the Med. It really should be marked..'Ere bee monsters'. Some countries are better than others, but the underlying truth is that all the systems we take for granted hear in Europe and N America, simply don't exist there. Weather, radar, Navaids, runway surface conditions and airport environment, good radio communications with someone compitant with a good grasp of English, are all things you are going to have to do without. And on more than one occasion, flying became less of job, but more an act of survival.

Anyone whom has spent any time there will have plenty of salty stories to tell. It does depend on the country, but generally the crime rates are much higher than the western world, and the roads are leathal. If you get involved in a traffic accident....it was your fault...and all Muzungus (white men) are seen as a walking ATM. Very poor internet, (if available at all), disease (perticulary Malaria, Hepititus, and HIV) are everywhere. And pretty much all financial dealings are in cash, as Visa and Interac is pretty much unheard off. So your woes are not restricted to the air by any means.

Some countries are more stable than others, but generally, all bets are off. Nigeria, South Sudan and Somalia, DON'T EVEN ENTERTAIN THE NOTION. I have been shot at in Sudan, mortared in Somalia, and been put on collision course with other aircraft by controllers, (whom will then belligerently deny any wrongdoing on their part over the radio), had to deal with corruption that if rife, all wrapped up in a general incompetence and apathy. Sadly, in Africa, life is cheap indeed.

That being said, I did see a whole other side of humanity that we just don't see in this part of the world, and did get to experience things that you just can't buy. I am generally glad of my experiences, they are all part of life's rich pattern, and made me the guy I am now. But I have absolutely no compunction to go back there, and in fact, if I never set foot on that fucking continent again it would be too soon!

Whatever you do, good luck to you. But please, if you remember nothing else, rembmber one thing, it's not paranoia...they REALLY ARE OUT TO KILL YOU......

Blue Sky's...

Africa is rough, I spent 3 years there and didn't find it as rough as your time it seems. I flew in and touched only 15 countries in Africa but yes it is a totally different ball game. Common sense keeps your alive and healthy and a solid sense of paranoia at times lol. But I will agree 100% that I would not give up my time spent there for anything. You learn a lot about the world, the people and most importantly yourself over there. You learn your limits and which you can push and which you won't'/can't. Good luck its an experience!

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

I wouldn't go there for all the money in the world. The stories I've heard from close friends that flew there, were nothing short of terrifying... and it has nothing to do with the people there...

Some of you guys should write a book about flying in Africa. I'm sure it would be a fascinating read, while sipping a Starbucks, downtown Vancouver.

Das ist mir wurst...
ehbuddy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ehbuddy »

Why are people just dying to leave Canada to go to Africa when people in Africa are just dying to get out and come to Canada??? My rule of thumb has aways been never to go someplace where not only do you have to wonder what you can eat but wonder what is going to eat you.

FADEC
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FADEC »

Definitely an "Interesting" time in Africa. "Controllers" who haven't a clue, or are doing so much with so little they have no chance.

In Monrovia (Liberia) if the "Controller" had two airplanes in the airspace, they would be put on reciprocal headings; usually resulting in a "face to Face" situation. "Controller" had no clue!

Juba; (South Sudan) the worst place i have ever flown; "Controller" hopeless; most dangerous traffic situation ever.

Some of the pilots are less than skilled!

Be very careful about TCA; Trans Capital; seems to be on its' last legs. DONT give them a training bond! Might be like the last days of JETSGO.

Nevertheless; if you get a reasonable (elastic term) situation, you will learn and see a lot!

Several of my colleagues found very exceptional spouses in various countries there!

C208
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by C208 »

2 Years in Tanzania, best time I ever had IN MY LIFE. 7 Years later I think about it every day and wonder why I left......Cause of a girl. DAMN. Its nobodies business to be telling someone whether or not to go (Although I don necessarily think thats whats happening here). Especially people who have never left Canada. What if I didn't go?

Many rant about the media reporting a dogs breakfast for news involving anything aviation. But what I see here the same is happening with those who have never been. Yes I know its a public forum....but if you have never been, its not your topic to connect on. I feel. Hope it doesn't sound to harsh, its not supposed to.

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

HansDietrich wrote:I wouldn't go there for all the money in the world. The stories I've heard from close friends that flew there, were nothing short of terrifying... and it has nothing to do with the people there...

Some of you guys should write a book about flying in Africa. I'm sure it would be a fascinating read, while sipping a Starbucks, downtown Vancouver.
I was flying out of Lagos during the Ebola crisis.

They actually had a transit passenger on their way to the US collapse in the Terminal (Ebola). Quite possible he would have traveled on one of the flights I was doing.

Several of the nurses treating him also got infected but they were able to contain it - Ebola getting loose in Lagos would be catastrophic.

I has a visibly ill passenger on my flight one night whilst all this was going on. I asked how this had been allowed to happen as we had now all been exposed if it was something serious - fortunately it wasn't.

Surprisingly there were no medical checks of any kind arriving in the US from Lagos during the Ebola crisis. I was surprised that the US authorities allowed our flights to continue given the large number of people traveling from West Africa. They really dodged a bullet with this. Shocking incompetence imho!

One of aircraft flew with an inoperative APU for close to a year - Arik didn't want to pay for the repair. Temperature onboard was 36C when we got on and it only got worse once boarding started. I refused to board until the fueling was complete and the cargo doors closed - always a big fight with the Arik groundstaff.

Some nights you did everything you could and things just didn't go your way - after boarding one of the pax had a visa issue and had to be offloaded and his bag offloaded as well - 30 minutes with the temperature in the cabin going over 40C.

I enjoyed the challenge of seeing if we could actually perform the flights - you never knew what to expect. It's Africa - you go with the flow.

I have to say I found the people to be very friendly - never had issues with anyone.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business

Return to “Employment Forum”